PDA

View Full Version : Halloween costume that is regular clothes for 3 y.o. dd

crl
08-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Dd does not like dress up clothes. She generally won't put them on at all and on the two occasions she has put them on she has demanded them back off in less than ten minutes. She's also not a fan of hair stuff (barrettes, headbands, tiaras, etc). She won't go anywhere near having wings put on her body. She used to wear hats, but that has been a struggle lately.

She's been Holly Hobby and a Flapper for Halloween in the past. I have used Halloween as an excuse to order cute custom dresses from Etsy. Since she dislikes costumes so much, I think I might as well continue that tradition. Which means I should figure something out pretty soon. Any suggestions for costumes that are really regular clothes? She likes princesses sort of, baseball sort of, pirates sort of, but no consistent overriding interests.

Catherine

Clarity
08-12-2013, 11:43 PM
My dd went as a black cat last year. Fuzzy black crocs, fuzzy justice vest. Leotard and tights. With a cat headband and tail attached to the vest. I drew on whiskers and she was super cute. This year I think I am going to make dd1 a gypsy. Oh, and when dd1 was three she was a French painter. She wore black pants and a black turtleneck with a cute knit beret. We made a painters "wooden" palette made of cardboard. Then she carried a paintbrush. Easy, cute and she could rewear the pieces.

crl
08-13-2013, 12:10 AM
My dd went as a black cat last year. Fuzzy black crocs, fuzzy justice vest. Leotard and tights. With a cat headband and tail attached to the vest. I drew on whiskers and she was super cute. This year I think I am going to make dd1 a gypsy. Oh, and when dd1 was three she was a French painter. She wore black pants and a black turtleneck with a cute knit beret. We made a painters "wooden" palette made of cardboard. Then she carried a paintbrush. Easy, cute and she could rewear the pieces.

Thanks! Those do sound very cute. Not sure I can get anything on her head and ninety percent sure a tail would be a no-go. Gypsy might work. . . . .

Maybe I could do something with little red riding hood? She wouldn't keep the hood on. . . . .

Catherine

specialp
08-13-2013, 12:13 AM
I had the same issue when I was that age and they used my sister’s dance stuff to make me into a cat like PP said. For etsy dresses, a yellow/black stripe or red/black polka dot dress could be turned into a bee or a ladybug.

elektra
08-13-2013, 12:21 AM
This isn't girly but Old Navy usually has pj's that are costume-like. We used their skeleton pjs for DS two years ago.
Last year, both kids were fighter pilots, which was basically a comfy (maybe a little itchy but not bad with an undershirt) jumpsuit. We got them at Costco.

crl
08-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Thanks! Ladybug would be cute! And pjs are a solid back up plan.

What about this? http://www.etsy.com/listing/128825847/girls-dress-purple-princess-kimono-many?ref=col_view In the right colors with leggings, could it be a Mulan costume?

Or what about this? http://www.etsy.com/listing/48221574/mod-1960s-inspired-retro-pink-and-white?ref=col_view. She LOVES boots. If I could find white boots, she could be a mod girl?

Catherine

acmom
08-13-2013, 06:55 AM
A lot of "occupation" costumes can be done with regular clothes - dr, farmer, sports players, dancer, police/fireman, mailman, cowgirl, etc. Are there any characters she likes? My kids don't love the feel of many costumes either. Last year DS was a baseball player (athletic pants, jersey and baseball cap) and DD was Doc McStuffins (pink and purple regular skirt, leggings, sneakers, shirt, with a kids dr. coat and stethoscope and dr. bag). A friend's girls are going to be strawberry shortcake characters this year which will be mainly regular clothes in specific colors. I bet you could do a girl pirate in mainly regular clothes...

hbridge
08-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Since it's cold here on Halloween, we have always planned a "costume" that goes over regular clothes. DC wear a base (usually a turtleneck and sweatpants) and the costume goes over it. My favorite was the lady bug. The base was black and we simply made wings and a headband. The dog costume was similar, with a brown base and a furry coat and ears on a hood. I have a plan for a tree costume that is similar, but DC isn't interest...
We have found that purchased costumes don't work very well for our needs so tend to create what we need...

twowhat?
08-13-2013, 08:32 AM
What color hair? I'm thinking characters like PP mentioned above. Dora (pink shirt, orange shorts, carry a map), Lucy (Peanuts - just a blue dress that is similar), Peppermint Patty (green striped shirt, black shorts), or any generic princess which just requires a dress.

eta: I was a Care Bear once for halloween and it's about the most comfy costume ever if she will wear a hood, and even if she removes the hood it's a totally recognizable costume. It's just a pink hoodie top with matching pink sweats. You sew ears on top of the hood, make the tummy piece out of felt, and stick a felt heart on the butt of the sweats. Then a little face makeup for a nose and done.

crl
08-13-2013, 09:51 AM
She has dark blonde hair with curls. She won't go for costumes over clothes either. She loves dresses, but she can spot a costume a mile a way and won't wear costume dresses. I am not a hundred percent sure what the distinction is for her, but I think anything with shiny fabric or lace is going to get a NO. She will NOT wear a headband and is very unlikely to wear a hat. Tails, wings, etc are a no go. Her favorite attire is a knit twirly dress with sparkly shoes. But she also LOVES to wear boots.

She is familiar with a bunch of characters, but not particularly interested in any one. Which television show she likes switches daily and I really prefer to nail down the Halloween costume ahead of time. I am not creative enough to pull something decent together at the last minute.

If I can find something that incorporates a pretty dress that would be awesome because she would like it and I would get to order another adorable custom dress off Etsy.

Thanks!
Catherine

ETA. She would be in heaven if I got her these boots: http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Glamslam-Bonfire-Glam-Pull-On/dp/B007GO757O/ref=sr_1_28?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1376403335&sr=1-28

fivi2
08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Dorothy? Pigtails, blue gingham dress, sparkly red shoes and a stuffed dog. Doesn't use the boots though...

crl
08-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Dorothy? Pigtails, blue gingham dress, sparkly red shoes and a stuffed dog. Doesn't use the boots though...

Dorothy is a good one. (No pigtails as she has a short bob, but that's okay.) Will see what I can find.

What about this dress: http://www.etsy.com/listing/158780589/custom-4t-girls-size-6black-lattice-34?ref=br_feed_36&br_feed_tlp=kids-category? With the sparkly boots. Mod girl? She would just love those boots so much. . . .

Catherine

KLD313
08-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Dorothy is a good one. (No pigtails as she has a short bob, but that's okay.) Will see what I can find.

What about this dress: http://www.etsy.com/listing/158780589/custom-4t-girls-size-6black-lattice-34?ref=br_feed_36&br_feed_tlp=kids-category? With the sparkly boots. Mod girl? She would just love those boots so much. . . .

Catherine

That's adorable and would look cute with the boots. I think it could work.

jent
08-13-2013, 11:31 AM
How about a supergirl-inspired costume with the sparkly boots? DD was just looking through a costume catalog last night- filled of course with pricey costumes. She decided her favorite was supergirl (which came in regular and pink). When I told her we could DIY-it, she quickly realized the key components are: a monochromatic outfit, a letter on your shirt (deciding between "S" or her own initial) and a cape.

I found this quickly on Etsy- no doubt you could find something that matches your/your DD's taste: http://www.etsy.com/listing/104642016/smallville-sweetheart-supergirl-inspired?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=supergirl+dress&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_ref=auto2&ga_explicit_scope=1&ga_search_type=handmade

crl
08-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Super girl sounds awesome. That particular costume would be a no-go with the tulle. But maybe a regular skirt and matching t-shirt with a big initial on it and a cape. . . . . Definitely a possibility.

What about the black and white dress I linked, plus the sparkly boots but in black and a microphone=rocker girl? Then if it is unexpectedly cold it seems like it would be easy to add black tights and a black sweater or jacket of some kind.

The dress plus sparkly boots thing just seems like a good plan because I am 99 percent sure she would actually wear it on Halloween and I am also 99 percent sure she would get use out of both items past the holiday.

Thank you!

Catherine

twowhat?
08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
I love the idea of Super Glam Girl with the sparkly boots, a dress (or tee/skirt), and a letter (of her choice) in a shield shape on the front of the dress - bonus if you can find glittery fabric to do this with! And a real cape for extra warmth if it's cold (you could also always layer the dress over a long-sleeved tee and add fun striped leggings/tights in a coordinating color).

Radswd
08-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I really like the idea you had of rocker girl :)

crl
08-14-2013, 12:20 AM
I really like the idea you had of rocker girl :)

Thanks! I think I may go with this. Dh says she would LOVE the silver boots and I think they would look good at night, plus be a little bit more visible than black. She might keep bracelets on so maybe some glow bracelets? Would those go with rocker girl?

I think I am going to pass on the super girl idea. I remembered that dd hates nicknames and we have called her "Super dd" a few times and she vehemently corrects us to just her name. So I think the super hero thing might actually piss her off. She's, umm, opinionated.

Thanks!
Catherine