PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk winter coats?

rachelh
08-13-2013, 11:23 AM
For the past few years, I got DDs winter coats from the GAP but I feel the quality has changed. Also, so far this season they don't have any coats that interest me. I know Lands End is popular for coats. There are only a couple that I like from there and naturally they are the most expensive. I am looking for something for them to wear to school everday but something that they can also wear to synagogue on the weekends.

NJ_Mom2011
08-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Have you looked at the Widgeon ruffle coats sold on diapers.com? They have only a few left, and selling for about $30. I can't vouch for quality, though the one my daughter will be wearing this year is very nice. http://www.diapers.com/cat=Clothing-41#/subcat=Outerwear-11300/Brand=Widgeon

lizzywednesday
08-13-2013, 12:47 PM
I've forgotten - are you guys Orthodox & walk to shul or are you Reform & drive? That changes my answer a bit - if you walk, I'd want a dress-coat that can be layered, for example.

Maybe this is excessive (or shows that I only have 1 child!) but I tend to have a "dressy" coat and a "play" coat because I very rarely find something that meets both requirements for my DD.

We get the "play" coats at the Columbia outlet and I scout ON, GAP, and even Target for "dressy" ones.

rachelh
08-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Have you looked at the Widgeon ruffle coats sold on diapers.com? They have only a few left, and selling for about $30. I can't vouch for quality, though the one my daughter will be wearing this year is very nice. http://www.diapers.com/cat=Clothing-41#/subcat=Outerwear-11300/Brand=Widgeon

Looks like a possible option for synagogue but they don't have higher than a 6x which would be a little small for DD1.

I've forgotten - are you guys Orthodox & walk to shul or are you Reform & drive? That changes my answer a bit - if you walk, I'd want a dress-coat that can be layered, for example.

Maybe this is excessive (or shows that I only have 1 child!) but I tend to have a "dressy" coat and a "play" coat because I very rarely find something that meets both requirements for my DD.

We get the "play" coats at the Columbia outlet and I scout ON, GAP, and even Target for "dressy" ones.

We are Orthodox. I can't say the kids go to synagogue all that often but on the occasion we do or walk to friends for lunch. Until now I have not purchased them two coats and I have been able to get away with it because I managed to find coats that were kind of in between (ie Gap had a nicer parka two years ago that was a pink champagne color) but as the kids get older it will definitely be harder to avoid getting them two coats.

swissair81
08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
We had a store here that used to sell Rothschild coats for cheap. I hate spending extra money on weekend coats. I usually buy them a trench and a sweater for the fall holidays so they can walk. The girls don't usually go to synagogue in the winter, so I don't buy for them. DH bought a warmer coat for DS in Boro Park so he can walk with him if he wants. I can check the brand of his coat if you want.

rachelh
08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
We had a store here that used to sell Rothschild coats for cheap. I hate spending extra money on weekend coats. I usually buy them a trench and a sweater for the fall holidays so they can walk. The girls don't usually go to synagogue in the winter, so I don't buy for them. DH bought a warmer coat for DS in Boro Park so he can walk with him if he wants. I can check the brand of his coat if you want.

Thanks Swissair! I don't really want to buy two coats for DDs being we are not using them every weekend - unless I find a good deal. Hopefully, I will find a coat that can work for school and shabbos. And, I am totally not venturing into Boro Park! Not that it is too far - it's just enough to make my blood pressure rise. :)