PDA

View Full Version : Don't start traditions that aren't fun for you

bisous
08-13-2013, 01:51 PM
It is my own fault. My kids are super excited. Today is our second annual "cookie day". It is a made up (in our household) holiday when the kids finally get to make cookies! They LOVE cookies and so does their dad. His birthday is tomorrow and August doesn't really have any other holidays so in my planning phase, I thought, "Why not just make cookies once a year? Get it all done. Get the kids involved. Daddy can have all the "proceeds", etc." The only problem is I HATE MAKING COOKIES. I hate that I always have sticky sweet fingers and they take forever. They make a ton of dishes. DS3 will be hanging on my leg all day long. And I can NEVER eat just one. I personally love cookies too but I'm terrible at moderation. Hence, I never have them in my home.

So off we go... A day spent in the kitchen. Kids are thrilled and I'm...not. I'm going to just try to enjoy the kids' glee. And count the hours until the day is OVER. Until next year...

Lesson learned. Don't start family traditions that you don't really personally enjoy!

specialp
08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Good lesson for us all. I get it. I'm not a baker and I hate the mess so it sounds like torture to me. FWIW, my DH's coworker started a "Christmas in July" tradition with her kids where they would make Christmas cookies for a day before they all got heavy into the back to school rush. They only reason she mentioned it was because her youngest was finally too old to want to do it anymore and although she hated it all those years, she now missed it!

georgiegirl
08-13-2013, 02:40 PM
At least it's just once a year! I hate making cookies too. It so time consuming to refrigerate the dough, roll it out, make royal icing, decorate the cookies, and clean up. We usually do it a few times a year, which is more than enough.

BunnyBee
08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I hate it too! That's why it is a Daddy activity at our house. :)

boogiemomz
08-13-2013, 07:12 PM
This is why I refuse to do Elf on a Shelf!! But I bet Georgiegirl is right, it will be one of those things you look back on and miss. :)

AngB
08-13-2013, 08:51 PM
This is why I refuse to do Elf on a Shelf!! But I bet Georgiegirl is right, it will be one of those things you look back on and miss. :)

This was the first thing that came to mind when I read the title. Plus the Elf is creepy!