PDA

View Full Version : Fall/Winter Sports Gear for Boys in Elementary School

arivecchi
08-13-2013, 03:30 PM
I need to get some gear for my 6 year old son for flag football games and practices. Would love recs. I was considering getting him a long shirt from UA. Any other ideas? Links would be great.

mom2binsd
08-13-2013, 08:17 PM
My DS played the last few years. Ours requires black mesh shorts, and they get a team jersey for games. Either a tshirt or long sleeve shirt like UA or a Nike one etc. is fine, cotton or the fancy 'athletic' wicking material. We would start with a sweatshirt (we have lots of College one's etc) then have a tshirt under for when he got warm (practice from 5:15-7:00 twice a week. Pockets in the shorts are nice if they have to wear a mouthguard as they don't wear helmets and they have no where to keep it...and buy more than one mouthguard and pick a bright color too, easier to find in the grass! Our coach last year wanted them to wear black socks up to their knees, like soccer socks, I found some great ones on Couver.com. Found great Nike cleats at Shoe Carnival too for about 18.00!

arivecchi
08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks! That's all awesome advice! So they used shorts for practice even in cold weather?

aretheyallyours
08-13-2013, 10:28 PM
You might want to think about tights for cold night practices or morning games. We have always bought UA and have been pleased with the quality. Another bonus is they can be used as a base layer if you camp or ski.

mom2binsd
08-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Ds only wore compression pants a few times under his shorts, he's tough.. My Canadian blood runs through him. He also wears compression pants under his hockey gear... We buy the Target brand though for 12.99, they've lasted forever too.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Kindra178
08-13-2013, 11:44 PM
DS used LLB or LE long underwear last soccer season. They are meant as a baselayer for outdoor sports and they worked really well. On medium cold days he wore the shirt only. LLB's has finger holes a la Lulu, so that protected his hand a little better. On 40 degree soccer game mornings he wore the leggings and shirt. For warm ups he wore his heavy LE fleece. We also got kid sized stretch gloves and a small basic hat to wear.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43218?feat=long%20underwear-SR1&page=wicked-warm-midweight-underwear-top

Kindra178
08-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks! That's all awesome advice! So they used shorts for practice even in cold weather?

Ds wore the leggings and put his shorts over.

arivecchi
08-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Ds wore the leggings and put his shorts over.
Which leggings did you buy?

Kindra178
08-14-2013, 02:17 PM
The LLB wicked warm ones.