PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a hysterectomy?

Binkandabee
08-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Just thought I'd check and see if anyone here has had a hysterectomy. I'd love to ask some practical (i.e. not medically related) if anyone has. Thank you!

kristenk
08-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Have you checked out the forums over at hystersisters.com? There are some good faqs there as well as lots of different subforums.

Binkandabee
08-15-2013, 11:50 AM
I have been hanging out over at hystersisters, yes :) It's a really great resource. I'm hesitant to even venture into the post-op section because I do recognize that the women that post there tend to be the ones with complications and I don't even want to go down that road as I already have plenty of anxiety as it is. I'm just trying to find someone similarly situated as me so I can get a better understanding of what I'm in for pain wise, recovery time, etc.

Philly Mom
08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
My mom had one when I was 13. She sent me on vacation with another family for the week of the operation so I can't speak to that week. However, by the time I came home she was doing really well and was moving pretty well. She is really tough but I am pretty sure that by 2 weeks out she was functioning pretty normally.

Mom Magic
08-18-2013, 08:17 AM
I had a hysterectomy almost 3 years ago due to a grapefruit-sized fibroid wrapped around an ovary. I had it done using minimally invasive surgery, so only had 3 half-inch incisions--one in my belly button, and one on either side of my abdomen--and one slightly larger due to the size of the fibroid. I had it done on a Friday afternoon, spent that night in the hospital and came home on Saturday morning. I was back to working from home by Wed. and back in the office the following Monday. It was honestly so much easier than I expected in terms of recovery, and long-term I've had no issues. I'm happy to answer specific questions-- feel free to PM me.

All the best to you--

daniele_ut
08-19-2013, 11:07 PM
I had one immediately after delivering DS 20 months ago. I had placenta increta and the hyst was necessary to stop massive bleeding. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.