PDA

View Full Version : Best brand for girls with little waists? And kindy dressing question.

wellyes
08-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I went to buy DD some clothes for kindergarten at Target. Everything I bought was extra-small (4-5) and I tried about 3 different brands. She is 5, and normal weight, but tall and skinny. When we tried them on, NOTHING came close to fitting. "Skinny" jeans had about 4 extra inches at the waist, the skirts fell right off. The tshirts seemed huge too.

What brands should I try instead? I could go to 5T but honestly I see this problem going on next year too.

In the past we've done dresses and leggings/bike shorts every day, and I'd be happy to continue that, but I hear kindy girls aren't as into dresses (true?)

mom2binsd
08-14-2013, 09:57 PM
When dd was that age I sewed the elastic waists, a simple folded pleat kind of thing, not fancy but out worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RedSuedeShoes
08-14-2013, 10:00 PM
My DD is like that, too. For YEARS the only pants she wore were Gymboree leggings (cotton for fall/spring, velour for winter) and their bike shorts in summer - everything else would fall off! She's now 8 and for the last 2 years or so she's been able to wear some slim jeans - I think she's had some from Gymboree and maybe Gap (I get them at the consignment shop, so I don't really remember the brands all that well).

BunnyBee
08-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Have you tried slims? Gap tends to run slender already, and their slims are even slimmer. You could try a slim size of their super skinny pant.
http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=82760&departmentRedirect=true#department=48

Elastic waist leggings (or jeggings) with longer tops? If your DD is happy in dresses, I wouldn't rock the boat! :)

ang79
08-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I have two skinny minnies (4.5 and almost 7). DD1 was in Kindy last year and she is totally a dress/skirt girl. I had tons of shorts for her for this summer and she mostly just wore sundresses w/ bike shorts or skorts. She loved to wear dresses last year, except for gym days, then she wore pants and sneakers.

I tend to buy only pants w/ adjustable waists, unless its leggings. Sometimes Target has pants w/ adjustable waists. Loved Old Navy for this but once you get into the bigger girls sizes (out of the toddler section) they start putting many of the adjustable straps just in the back of the pants, rather than around the whole waistband, which doesn't work for my girls :( So I just have to be careful what I buy there now. We like Kohls too, though I've found that I have to size down in the Jumping Beans brand when it comes to pants, as they aren't adjustable waist and seem to run wide.

DD1 actually wore a combination of 5T stuff last year and size 5 in the bigger kids section. I had bought ahead on end of season clearances and got a bunch of size 6 stuff and most of it she didn't start wearing til spring, some of it I'm hoping will finally fit her this winter! There seems to be a big jump between the toddler sizing and the bigger kid stuff which is frustrating! Also a big jump between size 5 and 6 in the bigger kid clothing (she's normal height but most of the size 6 pants are still way too long and she'll be 7 in Sept.!)

ang79
08-14-2013, 10:06 PM
When dd was that age I sewed the elastic waists, a simple folded pleat kind of thing, not fancy but out worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I had to do that with some size 6 skirts from ON for DD1. Ended up taking in quite a bit on both sides before they would finally stay up! Would have saved them for another year but she found them in her closet and really wanted to wear them now :)

icunurse
08-14-2013, 10:08 PM
My Dd is really skinny. Leggings fall off of her skinny. But I have found some wins this school year....Target now sells "super skinny" jeans in the girls department. And they are slimmer than the skinny jeans. Kohls has jeggings right now that actually fit my DD (which reminds me that I need to go back and buy another pair). For skirts, TCP and others sell adjustable waist skirts, otherwise I have to get DD a smaller size (she needs a size 5 for length in pants, but I can get away with 2t or 3t in elastic-waist skirts). It is a pain to shop for her.

Indianamom2
08-14-2013, 10:21 PM
I recommend Old Navy and Gap for tall skinny girls. And adjustable waists....and occasionally sewing a stitch or safety pinning! It's hard. However, my DD would still choose a dress and leggings over pants, so maybe that's not out after all.

KrisM
08-14-2013, 10:30 PM
While DD is not super skinny, she is a dress girl. She'll be in 2nd grade and still wears a dress or skirt 2-3 days a week, at least, even in winter.

AnnieW625
08-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow, Target must be running big this year. Usually the Target Osh Kosh brand runs small. Old Navy Bootcut slim jeans work well for plain jean. Gymboree, Old Navy, and The Children's Place are good for tops.

DD1 still likes dresses and leggings. Lands End dresses work well.

Jacksmommy2b
08-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Oh crap! Do little girl's pants not have the inside adjustable waist? My boys would go naked if it wasn't for those! Skinny jeans don't even come close.

citymama
08-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Tea Collection

ellies mom
08-15-2013, 12:05 AM
For jeans, we've had good luck with Crazy 8's slim fit skinny jeans.

Tenasparkl
08-15-2013, 01:28 AM
I went to buy DD some clothes for kindergarten at Target. Everything I bought was extra-small (4-5) and I tried about 3 different brands. She is 5, and normal weight, but tall and skinny. When we tried them on, NOTHING came close to fitting. "Skinny" jeans had about 4 extra inches at the waist, the skirts fell right off. The tshirts seemed huge too.

What brands should I try instead? I could go to 5T but honestly I see this problem going on next year too.

In the past we've done dresses and leggings/bike shorts every day, and I'd be happy to continue that, but I hear kindy girls aren't as into dresses (true?)
My DD is the same age/size. I found one pair at target that fit and the rest had to go back. I've had luck with pumpkin patch and joe's jeans that I comb the sale racks at Nordstrom Rack for. Joe's fit her really well. I wish they were cheaper.

kwc
08-15-2013, 03:34 AM
Another vote for Tea Collection. DD lived in their leggings and dresses. Too bad it's $$. But the stuff wears beautifully... the dresses became tunics when they got too short.
Everything else I had to sew a pleat into the waistband, like the PP said.
Cinching adjustable waists was too uncomfortable and bulky.

When your DD is a bit bigger, the Gap Super Skinnies in slim sizes may work, as will some of the slim stuff from Children's Place and Pumpkin Patch.

I think a lot of girls in kindergarten wear dresses and leggings. My DD is 10 and switches from tween uniform of super skinny jeans and graphic/ printed shirts and slimmer fitting dresses with leggings.

fedoragirl
08-15-2013, 04:18 AM
DD is 3.5 and she is currently in size 4 or size 5T clothes. She tall and very skinny. I find Boden's pants fit her well. I only buy the elastic waist ones. Her Land's End cords are also good because they have adjustable waists.
In Tea Collection, I really have to size up because their clothes run small for DD.
DD has tons of livable leggings from Hanna, LE cords--skinny ones, and Boden pants. I love their sweatpants for preschool. They are virtually indestructible.

TwinFoxes
08-15-2013, 06:06 AM
My girls are very slim. I've only bought them one tshirt each from Target's girls section, they still wear toddler sizes. There's no way girls' size pants would fit. Lands End skinny jeans, Tea Collection, and H&M are my go tos for pants. A friend turned me on to the Tractor brand at Nordstrom, they fit great and looked super cute. I wanted a pair! Not cheap though, I got them at NAS.

I bought the girls size 4T shorts from Crazy 8 last year, they still fall off DDs, so be careful with that store.

TwinFoxes
08-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Oh crap! Do little girl's pants not have the inside adjustable waist? My boys would go naked if it wasn't for those! Skinny jeans don't even come close.

Toddler girls' do. Older girls clothes don't but I don't think older boys clothes do either.

KrisM
08-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Toddler girls' do. Older girls clothes don't but I don't think older boys clothes do either.

We spent a night trying to buy jeans for DS1. Old Navy size 10 boys jeans still have adjustable waists.

TwoBees
08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
DD is about a 24-month waist and a 3T in length. Sigh. Look for pants with adjustable waists and belt loops, and use DapperSnappers or regular belts. And get really handy at taking tucks. My mom has been helping me, but I'm getting better at it.

MaiseyDog
08-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Both my girls are very slim. With DD1 i just focused on slims and things with an adjustable waist. DD2 refuses to wear anything with an adjustable waist thought. She actually refused to wear anything with a button at all for a while. Anway, she is 5 and typically wears a 4/5 or 5T but this summer I found the knit waist collection at Justice and she fit perfectly in a 6 slim. It's the first time she has worn shorts or pants since she was about 2. Other than those, she wears skirts and dresses. I just look for skirts and dress that are inteded to be long and then size down. We like tea collection leggings because they tend to run long so I can size down without them looking like highwaters.

BabyBearsMom
08-15-2013, 10:42 AM
DD1 is younger but also very skinny. I have good luck with Tea Collection, Target Circo brand only, Next Direct, Gap Kids (Old Navy is too boxy), Crazy 8 sometimes, and Next Direct. Regular pants from Gymboree, or any of the other brands at Target are out of the question for us. We do a lot of leggings here, I'm not sure what kindergartners wear.

Pear
08-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Dd refuses to wear jeans so most of her clothing is a knit thankfully. I have taken to cutting a slit in the waistband, pulling out the elastic and taking it in several inches, then stitching the waistband closed. Sizing down doesn't work because everything is too short.

lizzywednesday
08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
We spent a night trying to buy jeans for DS1. Old Navy size 10 boys jeans still have adjustable waists.

OshKosh B'Gosh stuff also has adjustable waists in their bigger kids' sizes. Not sure where they cut off, though, as DD is on the cusp of being a size 4 from a 4T/5T.

wellyes
08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks all. I'll try some of these suggestions - although any sewing is probably beyond me LOL.

It kinda sounds like kids clothes can be like adult clothes, the more you spend the less generous the sizes. Except that's not ALWAYS true. We don't fit in HA at all...... but its' true, the Tea Collection stuff we got for DD in their big amazon sale is really slender-fitting. I'll look for more of that and some of the other brands.

I am THRILLED to hear that elementary girls still like dresses. We are investing in bike shorts.

DD has this thing she does where she plays with her bellybutton when she's nervous, so I'd rather not put her in dresses all the time - but - then again, if it's what she feels most comfortable in, maybe it's for the best. I don't know.

Am I the only one whose kid won't tolerate adjustable waistbands? I love them in theory but she just won't wear them. Or any jeans at all. Demin skirts or dresses are fine but jeans, no. Only through her did I learn to embrace jeggings.

fedoragirl
08-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Well, my DD couldn't care less about what she wears. I, on the other hand, hate jeans for kids and babies. I find them uncomfortable for the little ones and just hard and rough fabric against their soft skin. I also know that I am in the minority regarding this and am considered odd by my friends. LOL
I forgot about H&M. Their pants run very slim and I like them but they are very cheap quality and don't last us beyond a season. DD is not rough with her clothes but H&M clothing is not built to last. I need to try Next.
I love Boden pants especially the billowy cargo pants with elastic waists. That's what DD wears to preschool.

TwoBees
08-20-2013, 09:47 AM
DD has this thing she does where she plays with her bellybutton when she's nervous, so I'd rather not put her in dresses all the time - but - then again, if it's what she feels most comfortable in, maybe it's for the best. I don't know.

This is along the lines of why I put leggings or bike shorts under all of DD's dresses (when she wears them). She doesn't play with her bellybutton, but has a habit of doing sommersaults everywhere, anywhere. LOL. And yes, there are still girls in her preschool class who pull up their dresses. I just feel that little girls don't need to show off their undergarments, but they should be able to be kids, and that means cartwheels, rolls, handstands, whatever. I like to be prepared. :D

Our biggest problem with dresses is that DD has a hard time holding them up when she uses the bathroom. But that's off topic. :)

NCGrandma
12-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Am I the only one whose kid won't tolerate adjustable waistbands? I love them in theory but she just won't wear them. Or any jeans at all. Demin skirts or dresses are fine but jeans, no. Only through her did I learn to embrace jeggings.

Definitely not! Nine-y.o. DGD1 still cannot tolerate adjustable waistbands, or most jeans. She still wears dresses and leggings most of the time. I recently sent her a pair of the new Hanna striped sweatpants, French terry with stretch/drawstring waist. When I visit for Christmas, I'll find out whether these worked. They look soft enough, and should wear better than leggings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

azazela
12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
My skinny tall first grader wears dresses and leggings most days. 6x seems to fit her in the waist for now although is getting short lengthwise in some brands. I'm worried about having to size up to 7 for length because I think they'll fall off her. I get cheapy leggings because they tend to rip or look worn after a while anyway. Jumping Beans brand at Kohls didn't work for her at all as a skinny toddler but works well now in the little girls section. The leggings fit in the waist and are ok on length as well. For the summer, my favorite bike shorts come from Children's Place. I size down to get it to work for her waist but they are soft, comfy and come in fun colors.

westwoodmom04
12-21-2013, 11:12 AM
I think the dress thing may be regional, we live in Maryland and it was rare to see girls in dresses after first grade. My dd has always been very thin, and even most slims do not fit (Lands End and Gap slims are huge even when on the smallest waist settings, I assume that Old Navy would be as well). Anything Boden that has skinny in the name has worked -- the jeggings in various colors in particular. Next direct slim sizes also work. But the only pants that actually fit her perfectly are Abercrombie Kids. I hate their business model, but after literally years of trying various brands without success, I'm going to buy them anyway.

westwoodmom04
12-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks all. I'll try some of these suggestions - although any sewing is probably beyond me LOL.

It kinda sounds like kids clothes can be like adult clothes, the more you spend the less generous the sizes. Except that's not ALWAYS true. We don't fit in HA at all...... but its' true, the Tea Collection stuff we got for DD in their big amazon sale is really slender-fitting. I'll look for more of that and some of the other brands.

I am THRILLED to hear that elementary girls still like dresses. We are investing in bike shorts.

My dd use to touch her bellybutton when nervous too. It would drive me crazy. She stopped by first grade, however, maybe earlier.

egoldber
12-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Lots of girls wear dresses at our school.

Younger DD is pretty skinny, but the Target Circo leggings fit her just fine.

citymama
12-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Old Navy and Tea Collection.

DD and her peers wore a lot of dresses in K and first grade. She refuses to wear dresses now in second grade, saying they're "too fancy" (even very simple dresses). She prefers knit pants and tees now, but I still see lots of other second graders in dresses/tunics. I would definitely look into tunics over longer dresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ett
12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm locking this thread as it was an old thread bumped up by a spammer.