PDA

View Full Version : Hubby lost a blank check.

Nooknookmom
08-16-2013, 07:14 PM
That's all......:hopmad:

citymama
08-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Eek! Call the bank and have them cancel it STAT!

Nooknookmom
08-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Yup, I did immediately. Then totally remembered that I pay tons of stuff online and via phone and like all my info to do that is on our check. So I just closed that account (after having it a very very long time) and now I have to remember a new number - grrrrr.

I would not have a slept a wink all weekend if I had not done that though.

Pennylane
08-17-2013, 09:39 AM
That stinks, sorry! Could you not just have stopped payment on the check though instead of closing the entire account?

Ann

Nooknookmom
08-17-2013, 05:32 PM
I did stop payment right away (so I lost $18! just for that!) but we have a HUGE transient population that hangs around where he thinks he dropped it. These arent diwn on their luck nice gys, they r dopers and unsavory types - ALL of our info is on the check...routing number acct number our names..addy..ph...etc. you can buy most anything online with that info...or pay personal bills. I didn't want to wake up Monday and have a drained bank account.

My bank suggested immediately that we close it but it was "up to us and our comfort level" and they would not guarantee the safety of our funds.

So - CLOSED! It's all done now just an annoyance till I get checks/debit cards. Oh and remembering our acct number!

crl
08-17-2013, 11:53 PM
I did stop payment right away (so I lost $18! just for that!) but we have a HUGE transient population that hangs around where he thinks he dropped it. These arent diwn on their luck nice gys, they r dopers and unsavory types - ALL of our info is on the check...routing number acct number our names..addy..ph...etc. you can buy most anything online with that info...or pay personal bills. I didn't want to wake up Monday and have a drained bank account.

My bank suggested immediately that we close it but it was "up to us and our comfort level" and they would not guarantee the safety of our funds.

So - CLOSED! It's all done now just an annoyance till I get checks/debit cards. Oh and remembering our acct number!

Wise move, IMO. Closing the account is a minor inconvenience compared to bank fraud. Don't ask how I know.

Catherine

jal
08-19-2013, 11:03 AM
That stinks, sorry! Could you not just have stopped payment on the check though instead of closing the entire account?

Ann

Yea, I don't get the idea behind closing the entire account. There isn't any information on a blank check that isn't on ever other check to give to anyone else... checks that are seen and accessed by lots of people once you've written the check.

Nooknookmom
08-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Yea, I don't get the idea behind closing the entire account. There isn't any information on a blank check that isn't on ever other check to give to anyone else... checks that are seen and accessed by lots of people once you've written the check.

My bank refused to guarantee that if ANY Unauthorized transactions came through that they would cover. I have had this SAME business account for 14 years. So I was not pleased that I had to close it nor was I pleased with their handling of the situation.

It's a small bank that USED to have great CS when we moved here 22 yrs ago. Alas they were bought out by a larger institution and the personal touches have gone down with it.

So from a business owners standpoint I felt safer closing my account and re opening.