PDA

View Full Version : Seattle or Monterey in April

StantonHyde
08-17-2013, 12:26 AM
So my DCs have a weird spring schedule. We have off a week the first week of April. We are going to do a big road trip to the Grand Canyon etc. Then, DS has off the 2 days before Easter weekend and DD has 2 days off after that weekend. I am toying with the idea of pulling DD out for 1.5 days and DS 1 day so that we could do a 3 day trip somewhere. (3 days there, 1 day of travel on either end). I think we will be National Parked out by that point. I want to keep it cheap. Airfare to the west coast is doable. Don't want to do San Diego. So I am thinking Monterey or Seattle. And I might have to do this trip on my own because DH will not be able to take off that much time in one month. Thoughts? Am I crazy to try this? DCs will be 8 and 11.

ETA: One of my big concerns in weather. I don't expect super warm and sunny but really would rather not have cold and rainy. Any general expectations of weather in those 2 places in April? (when I visited in the past, it was in October for each location, so different weather)

Philly Mom
08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Sounds great and definitely not crazy. They both have pluses and minuses. They are so different. Have you been to the PNW? Seattle has pikes place and whale watching, great nearby islands to visit, mt Rainer to hike on. It is pretty awesome and a unique place. Monterey will be warmer and sunnier probably. The aquarium is great. You can see wild life from the shores. There are great walks to do.

StantonHyde
08-17-2013, 02:47 PM
PhillyMom--I have been to both places and loved them both. I think I would feel more comfortable because I have been there and would know where to take the kids. It has been 9 years since Seattle but only a year since Monterey.

Which place would tend to have the better weather? I don't expect 80 and sunny but I would prefer not to have 50 and raining. I think I better edit my OP so that I make that question clear----since I made no mention of it at all and that is my primary concern. (lost my brain much?????)

Philly Mom
08-17-2013, 02:51 PM
PhillyMom--I have been to both places and loved them both. I think I would feel more comfortable because I have been there and would know where to take the kids. It has been 9 years since Seattle but only a year since Monterey.

Which place would tend to have the better weather? I don't expect 80 and sunny but I would prefer not to have 50 and raining. I think I better edit my OP so that I make that question clear----since I made no mention of it at all and that is my primary concern. (lost my brain much?????)

Def Monterey will have better weather or least it should. My brother lives just north of Seattle and they can go a year without weather about 75 and the next year they can have a few nice weeks. Last April in Seattle they had a couple nice weeks but it was a big surprise. Monterey may be foggy in the morning but it should burn off.

sntm
08-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Seattle may still be rainy and 50-60s. It usually is until July though there are random good weeks. April has really pretty flowers here though