PDA

View Full Version : TMI question--but I need help

TwoBees
08-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I've been having an awful time with constipation, and I'm trying to remedy it with my doctor's guidance. But today I sat on the toilet for 10 or so minutes struggling and straining and pushing, and now my lower abdomen is sore. My question is...could I have hurt the baby? I'm not feeling her much yet, so I don't have that for reassurance. I'm starting to panic a bit.

PunkyBoo
08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure about your question of whether you may have hurt the baby but I did find a natural constipation aid when I had an awful time of it during both of my pregnancies. I have trouble posting links from my phone but google Peoples Pharmacy Power Pudding. It's bran, applesauce, and prune juice mixed together and works very well but is gentle to the system. I hope you get some relief!

georgiegirl
08-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't think you could have hurt the baby, but you may develop hemorrhoids.

flashy09
08-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't worry! Straining "contractions" are nothing like labor ones your body produces. Your baby is tiny and floating around in water and very protected. She couldn't have gotten squeezed. I bet you just have sore muscles since they relax and move apart in pregnancy and the exertion strained them a little.

AnnieW625
08-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I am having great luck with the psyllium husk tablets from Costco. You get 700 of them for less than $20. 1 dose is 5 tablets and you can take up to 15 a day. I haven't needed all 15, but try and take 5 in the AM, and 5 before bed. If those don't work then I would add a glass or two of Citrucel each day. I think it works almost too well and it clogs my toilet. The psyllium husk tabs work just as well, but don't produce ummm such large quantities all at once. No gas from either product. I tried Miralax and it was instant gas. When my constipation issues are at their worst I avoid wheat products and that makes it better feeling as well, but sometimes I still need a little help.

Ironically the only time I haven't had issues with constipation was when I was pregnant with both of my girls.

shawnandangel
08-17-2013, 09:22 PM
I had a hard time with constipation as well. Benefiber really helped along with apples and drinking lots of water and/or apple juice

AnnieW625
08-17-2013, 11:12 PM
I just thought of something, if you are taking a pre natal vitamin that is loaded with iron that could be what is constipating you. I told my OB that I had constipation issues and wasn't taking a multi vitamin with iron and he said as long as it had enough folic acid I was fine taking one that didn't have iron unless I was anemic, which I never was (thankfully!)

This is the multi vitamin I have been taking for a number of years: Rainbow Light Just One Iron Free Multi Vitamin (http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-Iron-Free-Multivitamin-SafeGuard/dp/B000EEBWJK)

Also most mens multi vitamins are iron free and I believe some have folate as well, but if they don't you can always take an additional folate supplement.

BunnyBee
08-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Baby is fine! I wouldn't strain because hemorrhoids are awful. My grandmother swore by drinking a glass of prune juice followed by a cup of hot water before eating anything in the mornings. It has worked wonders for me after c-sections.

megs4413
08-18-2013, 12:32 AM
get colace. just the stool softener, not the laxative with stimulant. it will make it more comfortable for you to go. it is safe to take. I have gone as long as 10 days without a BM in pregnancy because of zofran constipation, so I feel your pain, but I also know that baby is OK even when you feel like you've well...gone too far....if you will. Just as a word of warning: fiber can actually back you up more if you're already backed up. it doesn't work to "unclog" as well as it does to keep you from clogging in the first place, so if you're backed up, you need to evacuate some before you can rely on the fiber to keep you from having more problems. the softener will make it more easy for you to get your bowels to move and more easy for it to pass. make sure to drink lots of water with it. i also recommend a warm bath and a glycerin suppository if necessary. talk to your doc, too! I am NOT a doctor!

KpbS
08-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Eat some kiwi fruits! I learned that little gem from the BBB and it works.

TwoBees
08-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of the ideas and reassurance. I'm going to try some of these ideas

I just thought of something, if you are taking a pre natal vitamin that is loaded with iron that could be what is constipating you. I told my OB that I had constipation issues and wasn't taking a multi vitamin with iron and he said as long as it had enough folic acid I was fine taking one that didn't have iron unless I was anemic, which I never was (thankfully!)

I hadn't thought of this, and I just checked. Ugh. 29 mg of iron. That is not helping, I'm sure. And it's a Rx prenatal, because when I showed the doc the bottle of Target prenatals at my first visit, he said "these are okay, but they don't have much iron." :banghead:

Just as a word of warning: fiber can actually back you up more if you're already backed up. it doesn't work to "unclog" as well as it does to keep you from clogging in the first place, so if you're backed up, you need to evacuate some before you can rely on the fiber to keep you from having more problems.

I'm afraid this might be my problem right now. :(

pastrygirl
08-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Stools! I mean the kind you step on, LOL. I just read about using a couple of stools to get into a squat position for going to the bathroom. I am always constipated and end up with bellyaches and dreadful H. I've been using stools for a week and it's made a huge difference! They make a curved stool thing for toilets specifically for this, but I did I already have a bazillion stools from the kids so I tried those first.

mom2binsd
08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
get colace. just the stool softener, not the laxative with stimulant. it will make it more comfortable for you to go. it is safe to take. I have gone as long as 10 days without a BM in pregnancy because of zofran constipation, so I feel your pain, but I also know that baby is OK even when you feel like you've well...gone too far....if you will. Just as a word of warning: fiber can actually back you up more if you're already backed up. it doesn't work to "unclog" as well as it does to keep you from clogging in the first place, so if you're backed up, you need to evacuate some before you can rely on the fiber to keep you from having more problems. the softener will make it more easy for you to get your bowels to move and more easy for it to pass. make sure to drink lots of water with it. i also recommend a warm bath and a glycerin suppository if necessary. talk to your doc, too! I am NOT a doctor!

Get the Generic Colace though, the brand name stuff is crazy expensive!

abh5e8
08-19-2013, 01:10 PM
lots of good advice! i second using a small stool (keeping feet more elevated while on the toilet) to better align the GI tract. sounds crazy, but it works!

another good option is magnesium powder. most prenatals dont' have any and it works really well.

cookiemonster80
08-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Warm prune juice will do the trick- everyday. The cans are better than the plastic bottle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookiemonster80
08-23-2013, 10:05 PM
And the small stool is great too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stinkyfeet
08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
I just wanted to add that I had similar problems, and the mid-wife at my OB practice recommended mixing 2-3 tsp of unprocessed wheat bran into applesauce.

Also drink lots of water and try to do some light exercises like walking on a regular basis to keep yourself regular.

lchang25000
08-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Oh man, I went through this with Ds2 between weeks 8-15. I had the take colace everyday along with drinking prune and pear juice. I will never touch prune juice again, yuck! Are you taking zofran? That could cause bad constipation.