PDA

View Full Version : What is your birthday present buying strategy?

SoCalMommy
08-19-2013, 02:08 AM
DD is starting to get invited to a lot of birthday parties for friends. They are pre-school age (mostly turning three if that matters). I have been buying presents as needed up until now. I found an amazing deal on clearance at Target for a recent birthday party and we just received another 2 invites. I am hitting myself that I didn't buy a few things that I saw on clearance a few weeks ago and wonder if it might be a good idea to buy ahead at all? I have always bought for a specific person in mind but wonder if it is a good idea to change my strategy, especially if i find some unbelievable sales, etc.

What do you do?

Are there any specific kinds of gifts that you buy ahead without having a certain child, or even gender, in mind?

Look forward to your thoughts.

vonfirmath
08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I honestly prefer to buy birthday gifts for the child in question. I have bought ahead in the past -- and ended up with gifts I couldn't get rid of because I'd rather buy specific gift X for Y child. They are going in the Toys for Tots bin this year and I've decided to stop buying ahead unless it is with a specific person in mind.

waitingforgrace
08-19-2013, 08:35 AM
I do buy ahead but only keep 3-4 items on hand. I'm most likely to buy games and arts&craft activities when I find them on sale or clearance.

SnuggleBuggles
08-19-2013, 08:36 AM
I honestly prefer to buy birthday gifts for the child in question. I have bought ahead in the past -- and ended up with gifts I couldn't get rid of because I'd rather buy specific gift X for Y child. They are going in the Toys for Tots bin this year and I've decided to stop buying ahead unless it is with a specific person in mind.

Same here.

ZeeBaby
08-19-2013, 10:02 AM
I will buy ahead if I get a good deal on games or dolls. Generic things. I think it is hard to buy ahead and not get stuck with stuff. DD1 will be in K. I am not buying ahead for her as I understand there will be a lot less parties. I also won't know these children at all.

BabyBearsMom
08-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't generally buy ahead. Most of the paties we attend are "no gift" parties. All of the moms at our preschool have done no gifts, and it is such a relief. My MIL over-buys for the girls at Christmas, so I do have a box of gifts that I thought weren't really their style and I will regift those on the rare occasion we go to a gift party.

lizzywednesday
08-19-2013, 11:40 AM
I don't have the space to store pre-purchased gifts, so we buy individually.

We've only been able to attend one party that DD was invited to out of 4 total, so it hasn't been too bad.

KrisM
08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
I do buy ahead, but for specific kids mostly. I know some parties they'll go to each year, so I buy when I see something. It's less now than when they were 4-5 though. I also keep a few other things on hand, but not too much.

Simon
08-19-2013, 03:32 PM
I buy ahead for specific kids that I expect we'll gift at upcoming holidays/birthdays regardless of party attendance. With Ds1, the parties are often school friends that I don't know well so I'd rather give a general fun gift I bought on sale since I don't really have the option to tailor it.
ETA: I'm hoping to pick up somethings from Amazon this fall since I also feel like we've had some short notice for parties recently, usually because our kid forgot the invite in the backpack and it went unseen. Things like Stomp Rockets, Art and Craft kits, or currently popular toys.