PDA

View Full Version : Dress me & DD for a wedding in New Mexico

jent
08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
So, I'm headed to a relative's wedding in Albuquerque NM at the end of September. To me (an East Coast-er) that's a fall wedding, so I'd wear something dark & a bit more fall-ish than a summer wedding. I know it's probably still hot in the Southwest that time of year though.

Here is a dress I wore for a September wedding last year: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/adrianna-papell-pleated-jersey-sheath-dress-regular-petite/3034652?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=1140&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_4_D
Completely different crowd, so I have no worry about wearing it a 2nd time. But is it too dark/heavy for the occasion?

Also, how about this for DD: http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC&pcid=25&styleid=37884&simg=37884_67D
Or is the T-shirt-style top half too casual? I like it b/c it has a dressy touch (the ruffles) but still looks comfortable.

Any/all other suggestions welcome!

jent
08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Bumping for the evening crowd--

Zansu
08-20-2013, 04:40 PM
It's the Southwest; wear whatever you like. :) Some people will be dressed for captain's table on a world cruise, some will be dressed for work, and some will look as if they just stepped off a golf course.

ilfaith
08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
In late September average daytime temps in Albuquerque are in the upper 70s, but the evenings do cool down about 20-25 degrees. I think the region tends to be more casual than the east coast. I think the dresses you selected would be fine.

Even though I live in Florida, I still tend to change my wardrobe with the seasons...while I don't need jackets or sweaters in late September, I do incorporate more autumnal colors and phase out the really summery looking things.

daisysmom
08-24-2013, 08:57 PM
What time is the wedding? How formal or informal is the invitation? I attend a lot of work and after work social and business dinners in abq. Generally, I would say that on a whole, thy are less formal than my east coast experiences (I life in the south east). But i really take wedding cues from the time of the ceremony (5 pm being most formal) and the style of the invite. I have a wedding in Denver next weeknthatbisniutdoors so very casual. My wedding 9 years ago was herenstbthe same time of the day and was black tie.

jent
08-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the replies... just coming back to this, I thought I hadn't gotten any!

What time is the wedding? How formal or informal is the invitation? I attend a lot of work and after work social and business dinners in abq. Generally, I would say that on a whole, thy are less formal than my east coast experiences (I life in the south east). But i really take wedding cues from the time of the ceremony (5 pm being most formal) and the style of the invite. I have a wedding in Denver next weeknthatbisniutdoors so very casual. My wedding 9 years ago was herenstbthe same time of the day and was black tie.

The wedding is actually at 4:30-- is that close enough to 5 to be formal? It's a dinner reception.

Anyway, the invite is very simple but (I think) formal. The mother of the groom (who likes to be dressy, just for reference) is wearing a black cocktail length dress.

Even though I live in Florida, I still tend to change my wardrobe with the seasons...while I don't need jackets or sweaters in late September, I do incorporate more autumnal colors and phase out the really summery looking things.

Having lived all my life in the north, I know that Southerners manage to do this... a winter wardrobe that isn't much warmer, but it seems so impossible to me! Summer= linen, winter = wool!

Anyway, I think I'm going with my Nordstrom dress... my main concern was that it would be too hot, but you're right, the nights should be cool that time of year. And I am almost never too hot.

I'll probably get the Hanna dress for DD too.... it comes in 3 colors, and my sis will probably get it for my two DN's in the other two colors. Very cute!

Now I just have to get shoes for me... (my old pair are past it, not to mention uncomfortable...) but perhaps that's another thread...