PDA

View Full Version : when to get lump checked out?

newbiemom
08-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I just noticed a lump in my breast. I am nursing, but it doesn't feel like a clogged duct. It doesn't feel tender, just a lump. Should I wait a few days and see if it clears up in case it is something related to nursing or should I call a dr right away? The alarmist in me wants to call right away, but I know that I have had to have many lumps checked out already and they have all been fine. I feel like the drs think I'm too anxious.

BabyBearsMom
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Normally, I would say get it checked right away, but since you are nursing, I might wait 3 or 4 days and see if it goes away. Do you have reason to be more worried (i.e. personal history of breast cancer? A direct relative (mother/sister/daughter) with breast cancer? 2 or more indirect relatives (Aunt, Grandmother etc.) with breast cancer?)? If you have a history, I would call the doctor immediately. I would also take into account when your last self exam was, your last exam by a doctor, your last mammogram. If you haven't checked in a while, and this could have been around for a while, I would call sooner. IF you just checked last month, I would be more inclined to think it is due to nursing.

newbiemom
08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Normally, I would say get it checked right away, but since you are nursing, I might wait 3 or 4 days and see if it goes away. Do you have reason to be more worried (i.e. personal history of breast cancer? A direct relative (mother/sister/daughter) with breast cancer? 2 or more indirect relatives (Aunt, Grandmother etc.) with breast cancer?)? If you have a history, I would call the doctor immediately. I would also take into account when your last self exam was, your last exam by a doctor, your last mammogram. If you haven't checked in a while, and this could have been around for a while, I would call sooner. IF you just checked last month, I would be more inclined to think it is due to nursing.

Thank you for your reply!
No personal or family history, just a recent spate of friends who have been diagnosed, leading me to be more alarmed. My last gyn check was end of March; my last self check was about two months ago, but it was super fast and this lump is small enough that I may have missed it. I will wait another day or two to see if there's any change.

Binkandabee
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
A day or two shouldn't matter much, but I'd definitely get it checked out if it doesn't go away after a short period of time.

westwoodmom04
08-21-2013, 09:16 PM
If you have a tendency to have cystic breasts, try not to worry. I do as well and always got cysts during and after nursing. I would go ahead and make an appointment now, it will probably be a week or two out, and you can always cancel if things change.

sntm
08-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Treat it like a clogged duct re nursing and maybe soy lecithin. If it doesn't resolve in 1-2 weeks, get an ultrasound.

123LuckyMom
08-22-2013, 12:32 AM
I agree that there's no need to panic. Give it some time, and if it doesn't go away, get it checked. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Globetrotter
08-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Probably nursing related but I agree with PP to give it a week or so but go ahead and schedule a check just in case it's still there.

newbiemom
08-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the reassurances, everyone. I get really panicked everytime I feel a lump. The weird thing is that while the lump itself doesn't feel like a clog, when she nurses, the sensation of nursing makes me feel like I have a clog, if that makes sense (in fact, it was that feeling that made me feel around and that's how I felt the lump), while the lump itself is painless.
I think I can calm down enough to at least wait until after the weekend is over.

wendibird22
08-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree with PPs' advice. Maybe try massaging the area as you nurse so that if it is a plug you loosen it up.

StantonHyde
09-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Just don't put it off till you are done nursing. I know someone who did that and ended up with nasty breast cancer.

brittone2
09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I had one right after DD was born. Saw my mw about it, and she referred me for an US, which showed it wasn't an issue. It was worth the peace of mind to get it checked. Mine was sort of hardish like a pea.

Globetrotter
09-19-2013, 11:17 AM
OP, did you get it checked out? I hope it was nothing.

newbiemom
09-20-2013, 11:00 PM
well, I can't feel the lump anymore, but the funny thing is that when I press where the lump used to be, it feels pretty tender as if there is a clog there! But it seems to come and go. I have started work and am pumping, so I wonder if the tenderness is due to not being able to fully get all the milk out and a clog kinda starting to form until I can get to the baby to nurse her? I don't know. But I am so relieved I don't feel the lump anymore.