PDA

View Full Version : Favorite brands for toddler sneakers

mommylamb
08-22-2013, 04:17 PM
I need to get DS2 some sneakers for the fall. His feet are pretty tiny (still a size 5), but he's a good, stable walker. I tried to buy him some saucony's that were a great price on 6 pm and they were SO narrow, I couldn't even Velcro them closed (and was annoyed because I had to pay return shipping). But, I don't think his feet are overly wide. I guess I could take him to a stride rite B&M store and have him measured, but that would mean finding the time to do that, which is easier said than done.

My favorite brand for kids has been pediped overall. Both my kids wore the originals as babies, and DS1 has had many pairs of the Flex style. I was interested in looking at the grip-n-grows for DS2. But, nothing on sale strikes my fancy and I'm cheap and don't want to spend over $40 for baby shoes.

Any thoughts on favorite brands? Any deals?

BTW, I tried a pair of Rileyroos for him last Spring (that still fit him) but they were the worst quality ever and I would highly recommend not buying those. They were super cute, and the customer service was excellent, since I kept sending them back because the stitching kept unraveling. I should have just asked for my money back, but I didn't and now it's too late.

mom2khj
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
We've always had good luck with all but one style Saucony that we've tried. DS has wide foot (was XW for awhile) and Saucony was the only brand we could find that did fit. There was one style of velcro ones that even in wide-wdith, we couldn't close the velcro comfortably. The other styles we've tried (one had a z shaped velcro and the others tied) were great.

lchang25000
08-22-2013, 04:37 PM
That is so strange, ds1 only wore Rileyroos until he outgrew them and we've never had quality issues before. I'm actually handing down those shoes to ds2 this fall. I did buy them 4 years ago so not sure if the quality has gone downhill since then. After ds1 outgrew the Rileyroos, he's been wearing stride rites ever since. Love their SRT line!

NJ_Mom2011
08-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Besides the Stride Rites and Pedipeds that you already like/mentioned, I like Tsukihoshi Kids.

mommylamb
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
That is so strange, ds1 only wore Rileyroos until he outgrew them and we've never had quality issues before. I'm actually handing down those shoes to ds2 this fall. I did buy them 4 years ago so not sure if the quality has gone downhill since then. After ds1 outgrew the Rileyroos, he's been wearing stride rites ever since. Love their SRT line!

Wow, I wonder if it's a new thing for them, or just the style I chose. First the stitching on his right foot began to unravel within a couple times wearing them. I contacted the company and they sent me 1 right shoe, which didn't look right with the left shoe that had been worn, and then the stitching on the left shoe began to unravel, and they sent me 1 left shoe. So now I had two new shoes... the stitching on both has started to unravel again. It's very frustrating.

Tenasparkl
08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
I just got a pair of Tsukihoshi sneakers and they open up pretty wide. I also really like the pair of New Balance minimus sneakers that I found at the outlet. Both are really light and are pretty easy to get chubby baby/toddler feet into. I bought a pair of Livie & Luca shoes and I couldn't get them on at all.

edurnemk
08-22-2013, 05:11 PM
I loved Saucony for DS

sanja973
08-22-2013, 05:14 PM
We like Beeko and See Kai Run. There are a few stiles at 6pm in small sizes around $30 right now.
They are very soft and good quality shoes. Beekos are usually about half size bigger than other shoes in same sizes, but it depends on the model.

SoCalMommy
08-22-2013, 05:18 PM
We love Tsukihoshi, plus many are machine washable wish is a bonus!

crl
08-22-2013, 05:54 PM
We love Tsukihoshi, plus many are machine washable wish is a bonus!

Yes. :). They have the tongue sewn down on one side which makes them easier to put on as well.

Catherine

NCGrandma
08-22-2013, 06:07 PM
We like Beeko and See Kai Run. There are a few stiles at 6pm in small sizes around $30 right now.
They are very soft and good quality shoes. Beekos are usually about half size bigger than other shoes in same sizes, but it depends on the model.

I've also gotten a couple of pairs of See Kai Run sneakers for DGD2 (as well as way too many pairs of SKR leather shoes...). You missed the recent SKR sneaker sale but the current sale section at the SKR website (http://www.seekairun.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=Sale) has a number of sneaker options in small sizes for around $25. There are some super-cute high-top sneaks as well as the regular ones.

waitingforgrace
08-22-2013, 06:27 PM
We've had the best luck with Nike tennis shoes for the girls.

lauren3110
08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Another vote for tsukihoshi. They are almost all I buy anymore with a few skr in the mix

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2013, 10:24 PM
100% love the New Balance suede sneakers! I always bought the gray as they were a great neutral. So easy to get on and held up all year.

AnnieW625
08-23-2013, 12:15 AM
New Balance Kids. It is pretty much all my kids have ever worn. We did buy a pair if Stride Rites when DD1 was 5 and they didn't last nearly as long as the NBKs have. I just bought Dd1 a pair of Nikes and they seem to be fine as well, but I really do love New Balance. Dd2 is wearing Dd1's old shoes now.

KDsMommy
08-23-2013, 03:13 PM
I've always liked SKR, Pedipeds, Saucony, and Stride Rite. We've never tried Tsukihoshi but I'd love to try them when there's a good sale.

BabyBearsMom
08-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I just bought both girls a pair of Stride Rites last night. (I wasn't going to get a pair for DD2 since all f DD1's are in great shape and look practically new, but she was so excited when she picked up a shoe brought it over to me, took off her current shoes and put the shoe on all while saying "Shoooooooo!" very enthusiastically, so they both got new shoes). They are doing BOGO-50% right now.

lizzywednesday
08-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I just bought both girls a pair of Stride Rites last night. (I wasn't going to get a pair for DD2 since all f DD1's are in great shape and look practically new, but she was so excited when she picked up a shoe brought it over to me, took off her current shoes and put the shoe on all while saying "Shoooooooo!" very enthusiastically, so they both got new shoes). They are doing BOGO-50% right now.

We do Stride Rite 'round these parts, too, but only from the outlet and only during BOGO-50%.

For Halloween last year, I bought DD a pair of Converse, which we plan to do again this year, but don't usually get them because they are (1) canvas, (2) pricey for what you get, and (3) tie-shoes vs. Velcro. (I plan to teach her to tie her shoes in the next year or so, though.)

mommyp
08-23-2013, 04:27 PM
DS currently has See Kai Run sneakers that are great, I will be sad when he outgrows them. I have a pair of Stride Rites in the next size up for his next pair. (I think I got both at 50% off in various sales, buying a little ahead!)

Kindra178
08-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Tsukihoshi are very comfy. My guys used to love them. As they got older and harder on sneakers, they didn't last as long. NB is our other fav. They are usually much cheaper than Tsukihoshi too. Stride Rite and Geox are my other goto brands.

Nooknookmom
08-24-2013, 09:50 PM
SKR are the most flexible - also loved pediped and Geox is our absolute favorite. Not as flexible as SKR or some SR but they do break in and last FOR-EVER!!!

daniele_ut
08-26-2013, 01:04 AM
DS wears a lot of Pedoodles, though they aren't really sneakers. They are super flexible, though! For sneakers our go-to has been Stride Rite SRTs. They show up on Babysteals frequently and they are local to me so I don't have shipping charges. I also find them at Nordstrom Rack for $15-20.