PDA

View Full Version : What is your first grade (or so) DD wearing for the first day of school?

boolady
08-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I am struggling with what DD should wear for the first day of first grade. I don't know why, other than I already feel like she's such a different, more mature kid than at this time last year. She's also one of the oldest in her class (will be 7 in mid-October, due to kindergarten cut-off) and is tall-- almost 52 inches. While I don't think that Gymboree-type outfits look silly on some of her classmates, they do on her at this point, but I don't want anything Justice-y either. No judgment as to either style...Gymbo has never fit her well (short and wide while she's always been tall and thin) and I'm just not mentally at the Justice point yet, lol.

Are dresses or skirts still okay, or is that passe after kindergarten? She has some Tea Collection dresses she could wear, and I like this dress, which I guess I could buy. Is this sort of thing still acceptable, with some silver flats or something?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tucker-tate-jules-dress-big-girls/3594525?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=836&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-undefined_3_B

I'd love to see what your first graderish, 6-7 year olds are wearing for the first day of school. TIA!

vludmilla
08-26-2013, 03:27 PM
My DD is going into 2nd but is almost the same age. She wears tea collection dresses (often with leggings or bike shorts) quite happily. I see other kids wearing tea or dresses like you linked to. I'm in a similar area as you (Westchester suburb).

citymama
08-26-2013, 03:32 PM
My DD1 wore a Tea dress and leggings on her first day of 1st grade. Many of the girls were wearing dresses. We're in the Bay Area, CA.

I *think* she wants to wear her new Boden hedgehog dress (http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Girls-1H-12yrs-Dresses/33263-NAV/Girls-1H-12yrs-Midnight-Blue-Hedgehog-Fun-Logo-Dress.html#http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Girls-1H-12yrs-Dresses/33263/Girls-1H-12yrs-Fun-Logo-Dress.html) for the first day of second. It's kinda warm out so she may change her mind and not want a long sleeved dress. We have another almost new Tea dress and leggings she can wear, or she might choose to wear a Tshirt and scooter skirt.

ETA I think that dress you linked to is adorable and perfectly appropriate. Tea dresses are so comfy and cute too. I think it is crazy that dresses would not be considered appropriate for 6 and 7 year olds, but I know what you mean!

elbert
08-26-2013, 05:47 PM
DD wore this dress today (her first day of first grade I the Northeast):

http://www.landsend.com/products/girls-print-woven-dress/id_256085

It actually looks much nicer IRL.

She requested shorts or a skort tomorrow because all the kids were on the monkey bars and doing flips on some other playground apparatus and she felt restricted in that dress. So, I'm guessing I didn't make the right choice with the dress today, but we did get some cute pictures.

I rally like the dress you linked to...

ha98ed14
08-26-2013, 07:11 PM
We started early this year, so DD already had her first day of first grade. She wore a skort with mesh (tutu-like) from Kohls and a Gap T-shirt with a peacock on it. I know *exactly * what you mean about feeling like Gymboree is much too young-looking, while Justice makes you feel like you are pushing DD too fast into the "tween" phase. DD started Kinder with a lot of Gymbo and Carters and ended it with more Gap and Children's Place. We had some Hannas mixed in that went the whole year.

For this fall, I bought a good amount from Gap (via ThredUp), Children's Place and some basics at Kohls. Because it is hot here through October (our hottest months are August to October), most of DD's BTS shopping consisted of skirts/skorts and graphic T-shirts. Honestly, I have moved away from buying as much Hanna and Garnet Hill, which were my 2 favorite sources of clothing. (Although I did pick up some GH on sale; they have amazing sales.) I realized I was spending a lot of money on brands (Hanna) that held up well, but given that DD is the only child to wear the clothes, it doesn't need to hold up that well. If it lasts one season, it's fine. I just decided that unless I LOVE it, I'd rather spend my money on other things for DD, like activities, a nice backpack, and good shoes from Nordie's.

Melaine
08-26-2013, 07:21 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherokee-Girls-Gray-Lace-and-Ruffles-Dress-Size-S-6-6X-M-7-8-or-L-10-12-NWT-/400526775170?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&var=670116100873&hash=item5d41419382

The girls wore these in pink and purple with capri length leggings in the same colors. We have always done a lot of leggings and dresses but now the girls are going to be doing PE so they need better shoes for running which don't go great with dresses so this year may be different. MY girls are the same age with a mid-october birthday and are pretty tall. I already feel like they can't "get away" with some of the things the younger first graders are wearing!

westwoodmom04
08-26-2013, 07:26 PM
My daughter wore a very casual sundress for first day third. Most of the kids, regardless of grade, were in t-shirts, shorts and sneakers -- a few girls in casual dresses or skorts. It's still in the 80's here in the mid-atlantic. I think the dress you selected would definitely work.

swissair81
08-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Her uniform jumper, a blue lands end blouse with a Peter Pan collar, a navy mini Boden sweater with apples on the elbows, knee socks, and her brand new loafers that she picked out herself. I love uniforms. It makes my life so much easier.

Considering that this is probably not what you wanted to know, she was pretty simple for her first day of K last year also. She wore a mini Boden top that looks like it's layered but it's really just designed that way, a cute skirt, and Mary Janes.

amandabea
08-26-2013, 11:07 PM
My DD is going into 2nd but is almost the same age. She wears tea collection dresses (often with leggings or bike shorts) quite happily. I see other kids wearing tea or dresses like you linked to. I'm in a similar area as you (Westchester suburb).
1st grader here in California. Lots of Tea dresses with leggings or bike shorts.

KrisM
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
DD wore a sundress last year. We haven't picked out an outfit yet this year, but I imagine it'll be a dress or skirt for 2nd grade.

pinay
08-27-2013, 12:20 AM
DD1 had her first day of first grade last Wednesday and she wore a black dress with a graphic patterns and black leggings underneath. She picked it out at kohl's, it felt a little older than her first day of kinder outfit but still appropriate. I saw lots of her classmates in similar attire. We are in So Cal, so still quite warm and great for more casual clothing choices.

ang79
08-27-2013, 08:52 AM
DD1 started 1st today. We didn't do a whole lot of BTS shopping for warm weather stuff, as a lot of her summer stuff still fits fine and she still likes it. She picked out a dress she had from the spring from ON, bright pink/orange stripe tank dress with bike shorts underneath and dressier Crocs. She's in a dress/skirt phase and wants to wear them on any day she doesn't have gym class. I shop mostly at ON, Kohls, and Target, with some TCP, as I'm a bargain shopper!

boolady
08-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone! After thinking about it last night and then reading your responses, I think we'll wear one of the Tea Collection dresses we got over the summer. I'm probably way overthinking this, but I really appreciate your input.

Nooknookmom
08-28-2013, 01:36 AM
She picked out her own clothes as usual. Dress...sneakers...hair bow.