PDA

View Full Version : Dress (for me) for Bar Mitzvah

YouAreTheFocus
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
We are going to our nephew's Bar Mitzvah this fall, in the midwest. The service is at 11am. Can someone point me in the right direction with some dress ideas? I have no clue what material/style/color/dressiness level it should be (though I know DH is supposed to wear a suit). I want to keep it under $100 b/c I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of it (I wear dresses 1-2x/year).

The party is that evening, but it will be casual, so the dress is just for the service.

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking a 3/4 sleeve wrap dress. Try Banana Republic, Gap, Nordstrom, Ann Taylor and White House/ Black Market to start.

Philly Mom
08-26-2013, 04:23 PM
I normally where a dress that I can put a jacket on over to a bar/bat mitvah. So perhaps a black simple dress and and blazer with some color over.

YouAreTheFocus
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the pointers! Now I am envisioning a fairly casual type dress. For example, if I went the wrap route, that would be some sort of jersey/knit, right? B/c of my shape I don't do well with belted/tied styles, so I'm picturing it gathering to the side, but not actually tying. Still looking...

I think I will have to wear something over it, I am not seeing much in the way of sleeves. Can I do a cardigan instead of a blazer?

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Wrap dresses are really flattering on a variety of body types. Give then a try. :)

ilfaith
08-27-2013, 04:04 PM
I think any sort of moderately dressy (perhaps a notch dressier than a work-type dress) would be fine. Since it is a family celebration, you might want to go a little more festive than what you would typically wear to temple/church. My first thought was also wrap dress (or faux wrap); but a sheath (maybe with a peplum?), or even a simple shirtdress style could work as well.

You will want to have your shoulders covered in the temple...and avoid showing too much cleavage. (If the bar mitzvah is in an orthodox synagogue, you ought to cover arms past your elbows, and skirts should be below the knee.)

I've seen women wear pantsuits to bar mitzvahs as well, but it's more acceptable in some temples than in others. My mom wore a dressy wool skirt suit to my bat mitzvah (many, many years ago). Looking back it seems very matronly, considering she was in her mid-30s at the time.

I would check the places usually recommended for dresses...Ann Taylor, Banana, Macy's, Nordstrom, etc.

Mom Magic
08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
I just got this 3/4 sleeve faux-wrap dress from Boden and it is very flattering and very comfortable, and would be perfect for a Bar Mitzvah. It is on sale for $55-$69 depending on color. I got the gray and blue spot and it is lovely. I seem to remember a number of other BBBers also have this dress and also loved it. It runs very true-to-size.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH519/Womens-Rosebery-Dress.html?NavGroupID=4