PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes is mean

bisous
08-27-2013, 07:28 AM
I just have to vent here because nobody IRL is even remotely up here on the west coast. It is 4 in the morning. I got up because I realize I haven't heard from my son's glucose sensor all night. I find out that the sensor failed so I'm not getting a live reading. So I go in to check his blood sugar and... it is 562. If you know anything about diabetes you will know that that is insanely high. DS has had type 1 for 7 years and we've only had numbers in the fives on a handful of occasions. The last time I checked his blood sugar it was 11 pm and it was 125. In the five hours that I've been asleep it has raised 440 points!!! The worst part is that I have absolutely no idea why. It isn't like he's eating in his sleep. I cannot begin to guess so I sit here and puzzle and wait for the insulin to drop his blood sugar...All the while worrying and stressing. It takes hours for blood sugar to drop when it is that high EVEN IF the insulin mechanism of his pump is functioning properly.

The worst thing is, we're supposed to go to Legoland today. We live 3 hours away and we're doing it all in one day. The kids ARE SO excited about it but it will be one exhausting day. And because of you, diabetes, at least two of our party of five (that would be me, who can't sleep now, and DS1 who can't really get rest when he's that high!) will be super tired. We can't reschedule because the kids start school next week and DH can only take today off. I'm mad because I NEVER tell the kids about our outings previous to going. That way if I ever need to cancel, we can do so without disappointment. But of COURSE we told them last night. So we're committed to going. I know that I will survive and will lean on my DH to do the driving (3 hours down and 3 hours back, all in one day!) but I feel so bad for DS1 and his special day. :(

hellokitty
08-27-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm sorry. That is so stressful. I hope that his numbers even out so you you guys can go to legoland and I hope his monitor is OK and not malfunctioning.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

TwoBees
08-27-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry. I hope that you figure out what is wrong and get to enjoy your day. Hopefully you and your DS can get some sleep in the car.

karstmama
08-27-2013, 08:31 AM
does he usually use some long acting before bed? because, yowsers, that's high...

o_mom
08-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Oh, man that is high. :( Do you think he is getting sick? Our friend's son has T1D and she said that is usually her first sign he is coming down with something.

I hope you get him stabilized and have a good trip!

bisous
08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
does he usually use some long acting before bed? because, yowsers, that's high...

No, DS has an insulin pump. I think somehow the mechanism isn't working properly. Scary to think how dependent we are on that little piece of technology, smaller than an iphone.

Thank you all for your commiseration. DH and I talked and we're going to have to postpone the trip. If we can get DS into an adequate range (it may take hours) we may head to DL in stead. I know that sounds like a weird choice but DL is free for us and considerably closer so much less stressful of a day but still pretty exciting for the kids. They'll still be sad, though.

wendibird22
08-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Hugs! I hope you get his blood sugar stable and he's feeling himself today. I have a few colleagues with the pump and I've marveled at the technology, thinking how much easier that must be. But gosh, you forget how fickle technology can be and that has to be so frustrating.

dogmom
08-27-2013, 09:17 AM
High sugars can also mean infection, although it's tough to figure out with the insulin pump variable.

I'm truly sorry for you, it does suck.

liz
08-27-2013, 09:33 AM
I am so sorry :(. I totally understand the disappointment in having to change your plans, and I can't even imagine the stress you are feeling as a mom after reading your son's blood sugar :hug:. Sending PT your way that you can all have a great time at DL!!!

crl
08-27-2013, 09:55 AM
:hug:

Catherine

elephantmeg
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
hugs! I'm so sorry! I hope you have a great day anyways!!!!

psimpson3-5
08-27-2013, 10:03 AM
I am so sorry. I should tell you I used to work for Animas. I hope everything's okay with his pump and you can enjoy your day.

Philly Mom
08-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Hugs to you. Hope his numbers are recovering, you both get some sleep, and you are able to enjoy disney.

boogiemomz
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Oh my, that is so scary. As if it wasn't hard enough to deal with, now you'll feel like you can't even trust the pump/sensor! I'm so, so sorry that happened, especially on the eve of such a fun but exhausting day. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs.

bisous
08-27-2013, 10:14 AM
I am so sorry. I should tell you I used to work for Animas. I hope everything's okay with his pump and you can enjoy your day.

Then I better confess that after much examination today, I don't think I can blame this blood sugar on the device! I think it was more of a user error (I may not have primed properly last night) because blood sugars are sliding into range with regular corrections. I still feel AWFUL but kids are awake now and a little bit disappointed but excited about DL. We are taking them to the Lego STORE and that is going to make them feel a lot better.

Thanks for all the commiseration. I think we'll be okay today.

psimpson3-5
08-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Then I better confess that after much examination today, I don't think I can blame this blood sugar on the device! I think it was more of a user error (I may not have primed properly last night) because blood sugars are sliding into range with regular corrections. I still feel AWFUL but kids are awake now and a little bit disappointed but excited about DL. We are taking them to the Lego STORE and that is going to make them feel a lot better.

Thanks for all the commiseration. I think we'll be okay today.

No skin off my back! I USED to work there. :D

I'm glad things are turning around! Enjoy your day!

ladysoapmaker
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm glad his sugars are doing better. DH is a type 1 and now on the pump and it can be scary how every so often something goes wonky. I can't imagine it being my own child. THough I must admit for all the "trouble" his sugars are much better managed with the pump then previously.

Have fun at DL.

Jen

wencit
08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Yikes! I'm glad your DS is doing better! So sorry Legoland didn't happen for you, but hope you have fun at Disney today and maybe you can reschedule Legoland sometime soon!

anonomom
08-27-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm glad your day is going better. Have a wonderful time at DL.

mommylamb
08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
How scary! I am so sorry.

BunnyBee
08-27-2013, 12:18 PM
That sucks. I hope you find the cause and enjoy DL. :hug:

bisous
08-28-2013, 01:35 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for all the support I got yesterday. It felt great to be able to come here and complain. Especially since I had to really hold it together for my kids yesterday morning. We had a fine time at Disneyland. DH was actually glad we went there instead of LL, there is a lot more for grownups and small babies. I will say though that DS2 woke up this morning and wondered if we're heading to LL. I had to explain that the truth is, it will be some time before we can go again, so I do think the kids were a little disappointed. All in all, it was a great day and DS had GREAT blood sugars all day. Go figure.

Fairy
08-28-2013, 01:54 PM
I am so sorry, yes, diabetes is mean. Lemme smack it for you. In the meantime, I'm glad DL was a success! You're a good mom.

liz
08-28-2013, 02:42 PM
yay!! so glad your day turned out well!!