PDA

View Full Version : BH Contractions v. Real Contractions v. Hard Kicking

Philly Mom
08-29-2013, 04:42 PM
This seems like a stupid question to ask since this is my second baby, but I don't remember ever having BH contractions with my first. My first kicked all the time so I knew what kicking felt like, and my water broke to put me in labor. Most of my labor was done at the hospital with an epidural and pitocin. I do not remember the contractions at all. I do not feel this baby nearly as much, which I know is because of where my placenta is located. I do feel her kick sometimes but it always hurts. She is breech and her kicks tend to hit bones so they hurt more. So I have this occasional pain and I am not sure what it is. Any way to discern the difference between things would be great. Thanks

123LuckyMom
08-29-2013, 05:20 PM
You'll know it's real contractions when they are steady and increase in length. The occasional pain or contraction is no big deal, but when you go into labor, the contractions will be long, not just a spasm, but a real squeeze. If you feel what you think are contractions, hang out for a while and see what happens. There's no need to rush off to the hospital, and the sooner you get there, the more likely you are to have interventions. When you're really in labor, you will know!!!

Philly Mom
08-29-2013, 06:05 PM
When you're really in labor, you will know!!!

People keep saying this to me but I am just not sure. I knew I was in labor with DD because my water broke. I needed pitocin 6 hours later to get my contractions regular. DD was 2.5 weeks early. I am so nervous about going into labor early and having DH be traveling that this is stressing me out that I won't realize I am in labor until too late and 2 yr old DD will be my partner in delivery.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Real contractions get stronger, longer and closer together. You can usually form a pattern with them.

TxCat
08-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Your belly will feel tight with the contraction - ie, if you put a hand over your uterus, you'll feel your uterus becoming firm with each contraction.

Philly Mom
08-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Your belly will feel tight with the contraction - ie, if you put a hand over your uterus, you'll feel your uterus becoming firm with each contraction.

Thank you. Ok. So I have had a fair number of those today prompting the question. No pattern. Spread apart. Would that be a BH contraction then? I will be honest that part of me thought the baby was stretching causing my belly to tighten and part of me thought it was a contraction of sorts. At my desk today, I definitely had some real discomfort. Almost 30 weeks and my next OB appointment is a week away.

BDKmom
08-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Sounds like BH to me. Any chance you were dehydrated? That can sometimes bring them on. But it's totally normal to experience them randomly. My OB described it as your body practicing. I wouldn't worry unless they get more intense or more regular. Then call your OB.

Philly Mom
08-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Sounds like BH to me. Any chance you were dehydrated? That can sometimes bring them on. But it's totally normal to experience them randomly. My OB described it as your body practicing. I wouldn't worry unless they get more intense or more regular. Then call your OB.

Yes. I probably was dehydrated. I was on an hour and a half call and ran out if water early on. Finally, stopped the call for a minute to refill but I was very thirsty by then. Thank you. Feeling better.

abh5e8
08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
for me, real contractions are always down low and very crampy, i mean like menstrual cramps. i can tell when they stop and start. BH are always just a very tight uterus but none of the crampy pain at all.

KLD313
08-29-2013, 09:53 PM
My first was exactly like you described and I was afraid I wouldn't know either because I never had real labor. My water broke with my second baby as well and I actually experienced real contractions. You will definitely know. I also had a ton of BH's while pregnant with my second as opposed to my first. There's really no pattern to BH contractions.

karstmama
08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
bh are described by lots of people as 'the baby balling up'. they are fine as long as they are 6 or fewer an hour. if they get around the 6-or-more threshold, drink a big glass of water, like 32 oz big, and lie down on your side. if they fade off, no prob. if they continue more than 6 that hour, call your provider.

kicks or twinges in your ligaments are sharp and painful, but quick and don't do any damage.

Philly Mom
08-30-2013, 12:41 PM
bh are described by lots of people as 'the baby balling up'. they are fine as long as they are 6 or fewer an hour. if they get around the 6-or-more threshold, drink a big glass of water, like 32 oz big, and lie down on your side. if they fade off, no prob. if they continue more than 6 that hour, call your provider.

kicks or twinges in your ligaments are sharp and painful, but quick and don't do any damage.

Thank you. That is a very good description and now know what to keep track of based on what everyone is saying so thanks everyone for helping me distinguish what I am feeling. I think I let myself get too dehydrated yesterday and I was probably close to the 6 in an hour. Home with DD today so will try to rest a bit when she naps instead of doing the work I intended to do.

karstmama
08-31-2013, 06:51 AM
you're very welcome & i hope things settle today & you have a great pregnancy.

Melaine
08-31-2013, 07:49 AM
The problem is, BH can look and act like real contractions and be very close together if you have irritable uterus. Most of our hospital bills are from three early hospitalizations to monitor contractions 3 minutes apart.