PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone broken toes?

Jacksmommy2b
09-01-2013, 10:54 AM
I believe a broke a toe a few nights ago. I fell on the stairs. It is swollen, lovely shades of purple and hurts like crazy when a move certain ways. Luckily, it is the one in the middle, so fairly well protected.

Is it worth seeing someone? From what I have been reading they won't do anything but tape it and I really don't want to waste the time, copay or radiation exposure if it isn't essential to have it treated!

KLD313
09-01-2013, 11:06 AM
No, they don't do anything. I went to the Dr. for a broken toe once and he told me don't do the xray because they won't do anything other than buddy tape it to another toe.

crl
09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Yep, I went last time because the pain was radiating and I wasn't sure if it was the toe or my foot. It was the toe and they just taped it to the next toe.

Catherine

Jacksmommy2b
09-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks so much!

I haven't taped it yet as I'm afraid to touch it, but I guess I probably should!

PZMommy
09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I got mine x rayed as I wasn't sure if it was my toe or foot. It was just the toe, so they taped it and sent me on my way. If you know it is just your toe, I'd tape it and not bother with going to the doctor.

stonecali
09-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I broke my middle toe and taped it to my 2nd toe and it healed crooked (it is bent towards the second toe). So if I were you, I would alternate taping it between the 2nd and 4th toes, probably daily!

oneplustwo
09-01-2013, 11:57 AM
You can ice it (15-20 minutes at a time) for a day or so to help with the swelling and pain ~ can take some ibuprofen too if you like ~ and then when it's less tender/painful and the swelling has gone down a bit you can start taping. I've broken a few digits, and for a toe I would skip going to the doc. You can always take care of it yourself and go to a doc later on if you have any concerns.

schrocat
09-01-2013, 12:05 PM
My sister did from stubbing her toe on a hard piece of furniture. She went to see the doctor and got a splint and X-ray. Total cost without health insurance was less than $100.

flashy09
09-01-2013, 12:12 PM
My sister did from stubbing her toe on a hard piece of furniture. She went to see the doctor and got a splint and X-ray. Total cost without health insurance was less than $100.

That's probably the best thing to do if you want to heal straight. I broke my little toe as a kid and did the tape/nothing method and it's a little wonky looking today!

mmommy
09-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Tape Tito the next toe and take it easy for a bit.

JBaxter
09-01-2013, 12:33 PM
They do nothing with it. Tape it to the buddy toe and wear hard soled shoes. something that doesnt flex easy like dress shoes.

kbud
09-01-2013, 03:17 PM
What timing, I am pretty sure I broke my pinky toe this week. I hit it on the leg of the couch. It is swollen and black/blue/purple and hurts! I haven't taped it yet as I don't want to touch it. It's my understanding there is nothing they do for a broken toe. To add to it it's the same foot where I broke my ankle in 3 places last year. I have a plate and about 12 screws in it. The ankle was giving me troubles. The day I broke my toe was probably only the 2nd day in months I wasn't wearing my tennis shoes! I am seeing an ortho for my ankle again. I will ask him when I see him for the ankle again.

I am just elevating it (helps with the throbbing pain). I iced it at first but icing a little tie is hard and the pressure of he ice hurt it. Good luck I feel your pain too;)

I wish my X-rays were only $100! I have insurance and my X-rays and dr visit last week were about $500! I can never figure out while healthcare costs vary so much.

lcarlson90
09-01-2013, 04:19 PM
When I broke my toe they taped it and made we wear one of those post surgery shoes. I think you could probably stabilize it yourself.

queenmama
09-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I broke my left big toe in college 17 years ago and it didn't heal properly. I was taken to the ER and they didn't so much as clean the blood off of it (yeah, it was that bad, totally busted) much less bandage or tape it. I had no idea, so I went home and cleaned and wrapped it. Duh.

It still hurts, all these years later. The last few days it's been bugging me for no reason (maybe the weather, I am getting old! :P ), but it's usually because I stub it or someone steps on me or something.

Lara

schrocat
09-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I wish my X-rays were only $100! I have insurance and my X-rays and dr visit last week were about $500! I can never figure out while healthcare costs vary so much.

My sister went to a government polyclinic in Singapore. She's retired. If she were still working with health benefits at work it would have been completely free.

essnce629
09-03-2013, 06:50 AM
DS1 broke his toe last summer after slamming it into the side of the bathtub. I did end up taking him in for an x-ray 2 days later since it was hurting him and I wasn't sure if it was broken or just strained. I actually think they did NOT tape his toes together and instead just gave him one of those super hard soled post surgery shoes to wear for a week.

newnana
09-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I break a few toes a year. I wish I was kidding. Started when I was a gymnast a few decades ago.

If you haven't taped it because of the pain, take some ibuprofen and sit with an ice pack while you pay the bills (when else do you get to sit for 30 min to let your ibuprofen kick in). By then you should be fairly numb and the meds will have kicked in. The ice should reduce the swelling a little, too. The numbing and decreased swelling will give you a little more flexibility to get the tape where you want it.

Hard soled shoes for the next couple weeks for extra support.

good luck!

Kindra178
09-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes. Mine was dislocated, so I actually went to the doctor to have it set. If I hadn't dislocated it, they would have done nothing.