PDA

View Full Version : Preschool extra set of shoes?? Need recs...

TxCat
09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
DD1's nursery school requires full change of clothes, including shoes. The clothing I was prepared for, but not the shoes. DD1 has wide feet and usually wears SKR, Pedipeds , or New Balance sneakers - none of which I want to buy as an "extra" pair to sit around school! Any recs on brands/where to find a cheap but decent pair of shoes for wide toddler feet?

happymom
09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
The purpose is to be able to change her shoes in case she has an accident right? So the longest she would be wearing them would be from the time of the accident until pick-up? I would just buy something cheap at payless and not worry too much about the quality or exact fit.

westwoodmom04
09-01-2013, 11:44 AM
The purpose is to be able to change her shoes in case she has an accident right? So the longest she would be wearing them would be from the time of the accident until pick-up? I would just buy something cheap at payless and not worry too much about the quality or exact fit.

Yes, this. I kept a pair or crocs or the like in the cubby as the extra shoes; I don't think either of my kids ever wore them.

Mommy_Mea
09-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I buy the spare set of shoes for DS1 at yard sales. $1 or $2 for something that will probably never get worn (or maybe for a few hours). I usually still buy something of good quality (Stride Rite, etc) since they are usually still in decent condition and comfortable for when they wear them.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Um, yes, this. We went to Walmart kids shoe section and bought cheap $10 shoes...we needed TWO pairs extra to have. Kids have been in daycare for almost 9 months and they've each worn a set of spare shoes ONCE. My kids strictly wear Stride Rites or Keens ($$$ shoes) but no way was I going to spend $$ on shoes that would basically never be worn.

Yard sales are another good option. Since we needed two pairs, one of DD's is DS's old sneakers that he outgrew (they're very boyish).

azzeps
09-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I have found cheap shoes at Target or Target.com. I like the yard sale idea even better.

Neatfreak
09-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I'd also opt for something from Target for shoes that will only be worn in emergencies.

My preschool needs a special pair of "indoor" shoes (that we'll take home every day) so I did get her some cute SKRs to wear inside over the fall and winter and in the spring if they still fit, they can be her everyday outside shoes.

twowhat?
09-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Kohls jumping beans, when on sale. Their MJs run wide and the girls wore a pair as their primary shoes for nearly a year! Pretty flexible soles too.

Or, buy a nice pair of shoes in a size larger. In a pinch they'll work and can be transitioned to primary shoes:)

Crocs are a great idea too and can be used at home on the weekends.

TxCat
09-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I hadn't thought of yard sales before - I'll have to be on the lookout now. Barring that, i just wanted to find something kinda decent so its not a total waste.

Kohls jumping beans, when on sale. Their MJs run wide and the girls wore a pair as their primary shoes for nearly a year! Pretty flexible soles too.

Or, buy a nice pair of shoes in a size larger. In a pinch they'll work and can be transitioned to primary shoes:)

Crocs are a great idea too and can be used at home on the weekends.

School doesn't allow Crocs. But, I love the idea of buying a regular shoe in a larger size so it's not a waste.

TwinFoxes
09-01-2013, 06:35 PM
The purpose is to be able to change her shoes in case she has an accident right?

:yeahthat: Our preschool didn't require shoes, just clothes, and there were definitely a few times when kids peed into their shoes, and had to go barefoot until mom or dad arrived. Cheapy shoes would be fine...are you sure Crocs wouldn't be ok for spares?

twowhat?
09-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Our school doesn't allow Crocs either (because they come on/off too easily so kids end up taking off and playing with their shoes)...but I would still pack them as spares if that's what you like best:) Between having a kid go barefoot vs putting on the Crocs - they'll put the Crocs on. And chances are in your favor that you will never use the spare pair of shoes anyway. We keep the extra change of clothes in their backpacks which must come home every night...so the only time they ever see the bag with change of clothes is when they need to use it.

AnnieW625
09-01-2013, 11:21 PM
.......I would just buy something cheap at payless and not worry too much about the quality or exact fit.

:yeahthat: Payless makes a fair amount of wide size shoes which is great. I have adult friends who wear nothing but the Champion brand from Target and are happy with them too.

carolinacool
09-02-2013, 12:27 AM
I third Payless. I actually find the Smart Fit line (in the yellow box) to be quite good, actually. They are flexible and cushioned and they held together well enough for our purposes - a pair of sneakers we bought in a pinch that lasted the school year until DS outgrew them and a cute pair of brown sandals last year. Many styles come in wide.