PDA

View Full Version : Heel pain in DD?

Twoboos
09-01-2013, 05:47 PM
The kids are just starting soccer season here. In the past, when DD1 (almost 10yo) starts up a sport after time off, she gets pain in her heel. It's so bad she's limping around, but it improves with ibuprofen. I'm googling and it might be some kind of Achilles Tendonitis?

I have Dr. Scholls inserts in her new soccer shoes - maybe I should get a new set for this year. Any other ideas of what I could do? Or thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks, Dr. BBB! ;)

JBaxter
09-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Good arch supports It could be plantar fasciitis in which case ice and ibuprofen ( every 8 hrs for several days) would be the best bet. Freeze a water bottle and have her roll her arch on it or rest the arch of her foot on it.

Twoboos
09-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Yes, that was the other thought from Google. Good call on the water bottle, I'll do that.

I would have thought she was too young for this type of thing!

karin4
09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Sever's disease is another possibility. The name makes it sound scary; it isn't! It's inflammation of the growth plates in the heel, and is pretty common in kids who play sports, especially if they're in the midst of a growth spurt. A few of my daughter's gymnastics teammates have it-- it can be really painful, but won't cause any lasting problems. At least for her teammates, it gets better with rest, ice, ibuprofen, but it does recur. It'll finally go away for good when they finish growing.

LD92599
09-01-2013, 08:03 PM
My DS was diagnosed with Sever's. He wears a heel cup; ices up after practice and then ibuprofen before practice or games.