PDA

View Full Version : (UPDATE #33!) suggestions on how to survive this?? (DH extended travel)

♥ms.pacman♥
09-01-2013, 09:10 PM
am freaking out already about it. In October, DH will have to travel for 3 weeks, possibly 4 weeks (in addition to travel later this month). Each week he will be gone Sunday - Saturday late morning, so will only being back here for each weekend for a little more than 24 hours.

i am seriously panicking about this. :( we have zero family in town (my parents are in another state, DH"s family is a 6 hr drive away). I don't have any neighbors that can help. I work full time and as it is with DH gone just for one week i am pulling my hair out by the end (the weeks he's gone i only get about 6 hrs a sleep a night). the kids are daycare and i have a 30-40 minute commute to work each way, and dropoff/pickup takes 15 minutes. as it is, when he's OOT, i can't work a full day because i am only there 8:30-5:00 pm as i have to drop off the kids first and then leave to pick up the kids from daycare before it closes. I work in a very male-dominated field and most don't have kids or have SAH wives or wives who work only part time so its rare as heck for anyone to leave at 5:00. WHen DH is here I usually stay till 6:00 but of course that's not possible when he's OOT.

DH says we can hire some help, but i have zero idea where to start. I am just so overwhelmed with how to even go about hiring help. Do i want someone to prep meals? To pick up the kids from daycare so i can stay at work later? (this freaks me out a little--people here are horrible re: carseats). When i was SAHM i would just have a trusted, regular sitter to watch the kids a couple times a week so i could get a break and do errands, but with me working now i don't even know how to even get into itemizing everything that needs to be done every.single.day and then finding someone to do that. For example I have to prepare and bring breakfast and lunches to school every single day. SO every single night i have to wash both their breakfast/lunch containers and then pack the next meals for the next day. There are limited things that can be done in advance. Also, i should mention we do have a housecleaning service (once every two weeks), but in many ways it's just another thing i have to worry about (i have to spend time decluttering the house so she can actually clean, and i have to remember to leave a check, and not turn on the alarm in the morning, yadda yadda). What I really need help with when DH is gone is all the long list of chores that need to get done every single night - meal prep, washing dishes, cleaning up the kitchen, packing lunches/breakfasts, that sort of thing.

would love to hear suggestions. at this point i have no idea how i am going to handle it all. :( Taking time off work to do errands or whatever is not an option...i have like 3 days of PTO at the moment and i need to reserve them for when the kids get sick (which is highly likely...last winter i had to take 3 days alone just for sick kids). I have dealt with DH crazy travel before (the summer/fall after DD was born he was gone every week for 7 weeks...that was when I was a SAHM) but while working i have only done one week at a time and that is bad enough. Would love any suggestions from any mamas who have BTDT.

I should add, that DH plans to quit his job soon (in the next 2-3 months) and his next job will not involve travel (WOOO!). So the end is in sight! if this would be an ongoing thing i'd definitely take time to find a more permanent solution. I just need tips on how to survive the next couple months without having going insane.

I think part of the stress of it is that i don't really have anybody IRL to talk to when he's gone (most of the time i talk to DH by text every 2-3 days he's so busy and i'm busy as well)...like if i have a rotten day or kids have been especially challenging that evening i don't have any female coworkers to chat with about how parenting is so hard or anything like that.

rin
09-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I would look on care.com for someone who would be interested in a short-term, regular gig for the month of October. I would have that person pick up the kids from daycare, bring them home, and prepare/feed them dinner. I would plan to get home so I could put them to bed, and have the sitter help with lunch packing/breakfast prep/kitchen cleanup while you put the kids down. Alternately, I would look for someone to come to the house in the morning so you could just sail out to door to work at whatever time you needed; I'd have that person dress the kids, feed them breakfast, pack their lunches, and then take them to school.

My DH travels one week out of each month, but has never been gone for longer, so I haven't personally BTDT. However, a good friend of mine's husband used to travel for 1-3 weeks semiregularly, and they used to hire me to come in the mornings to feed/dress the kids, tidy the kitchen up, and take the kids to daycare. I know that it made a *huge* difference in their family's ability to cope with longer (>1 week) trips.

ETA: I know you said that people around there are terrible with carseats, but wouldn't you be able to basically just say with a smile that you know you might be the crazy carseat lady, but this is how you want it done?

crl
09-01-2013, 09:29 PM
I would look to hire someone who can do either pick up or drop off every day. I would insist on installing the car seats and leaving them installed.

Then I would also hire someone to come for a few hours over the weekend so you can get chores or errands done.

Catherine

maybeebaby08
09-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Wow, that's a lot to deal with for a month. I would hire someone, maybe a nanny service. Someone who can run errands then pick up the kids, come home make dinner and prepare things for the next day, do some laundry. I think if you could make a list of exactly what you need done each week/day over the next month whoever you hire can just follow the list. Like plan out now what meals will be and make exact grocery list for each week, so the helper can get it for you. If you have someone doing these things it will hopefully ease some of the burden.

As far as having someone drive the kids, run a driving record and install the carseats yourself, I worked for a family who explained how important carseats installed properly were, they installed them in my car and always asked of I needed to take them out to tell then so they could reinstall them. I didn't completely get it at the time but I realized it was important to them and did what they asked.

I don't live by family or have anyone close, it's hard at times, so I can understand how stressed you must feel!

baileygirl
09-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Can you buy more breakfast/lunch containers so you can prep some of this stuff ahead of time? If you aren't comfortable hiring someone to pick up the kids from daycare, what about hiring someone for some of the evening hours? Either to play with the kids or to make dinner, clean, prep for the next day?

westwoodmom04
09-01-2013, 09:52 PM
You used a temporary nanny service before, didn't you? I would have them find someone for you for either morning or afternoons as PBS have suggested.

daniele_ut
09-01-2013, 10:02 PM
If you have already used a nanny service, then start there. Otherwise I would start on Care.com. If you can afford it I would hire someone to pick the kids up from daycare and stay until they are fed and ready for bed. IIRC this is a fairly new job for you and I can't imagine they would be understanding of you leaving early every day for a month. Install the car seats yourself and insist they stay installed.

Dh went on extended music tours several times while I was working FT and we couldn't really afford help, but I had a short commute and was able to work a full day even with doing drop offs and pickups. He was out of the country, and didn't come back at all for 3 weeks. It was stressful and I was always grateful when he got home but we survived and you will too!!

elbenn
09-01-2013, 10:18 PM
You could at least browse through care.com and see if there is anyone such as a local college student who might like a temporary job and they could assist you with things. Make sure you have super easy meals in your fridge/freezer/pantry. Use paper plates to make things easier. Order your groceries though a grocery service. When you need to vent, get on the BBB and vent away.

Philly Mom
09-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I had this. Only one DC but I was in the midst of a difficult first trimester. I have an easier ability to pick up than you (less commute lots of seniority) so I would hire someone for that. I had my mom travel to me for one week when I couldn't do pickup on a few nights. She is not local. That also helped with having one week where I had decent food to eat because she cooked for me. I still "prepared" DD's food. For lunches, make them as simple as possible. Last week when DH was out of town, I sent individual humous containers, an avocado and turkey slices and a fruit on multiple occasions. I don't cut the avocado and just checked with her teachers they are ok with that. Also for lunch, I buy frozen tj meals throw in microwave and dish for lunch. For dinners, I go out one night. Otherwise, I make a big pot of Mac and cheese with veg one night that lasts a couple nights. Ahead of time, DH and I cook in bulk and freeze in individual ziplocks. I get home, pull out the bag while DD watches a show, cooked in 5 mins or less. While food is defrosting, I throw a load of laundry in. I tend not to fold the clothes until really needed. Clothes get wrinkled but oh well. We have a cleaner come every week. I suggest it for the time away you add a second cleaning and ask that she help straighten up. I try to put some toys away every day and really don't allow DD much access to toys while DH is gone. I use tv and outside for play and one main toy which right now is her dollhouse. Otherwise, I just try to keep our time at home minimal so there is less mess to clean. Good luck!!

baileygirl
09-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Another thing I thought of...what about a grocery delivery service?

Kindra178
09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I have flown my parents in to help during dh extended travel weeks. Is that a possibility? Even if it's just for a few days?

I once posted on SitterCity for a 4 pm - 8 pm nanny 5 days a week. I seriously didn't think anyone would respond and I got more than 20 resumes. Mostly students but some professional nannies with shorter daytime hours. If you hired someone like that, he or she could throw in a load of laundry, fold laundry you did in the am, start dinner prep, goto the dry cleaner or store and pick up your kids. Even if you still did the pick up (I saw that you are worried about carseats), this late afternoon nanny could serve as a house manager and do many household duties.

AnnieW625
09-01-2013, 11:27 PM
I would look to hire someone who can do either pick up or drop off every day. I would insist on installing the car seats and leaving them installed.

Then I would also hire someone to come for a few hours over the weekend so you can get chores or errands done.

Catherine

:yeahthat: Actually if it all possible I would have them drive your DH's car so you know that the seats don't have to be moved. I have never done grocery delivery service I would do it then and I would start thinking about hiring a house cleaner and maybe a gardener for the month (if your HOA doesn't cover a gardener). If you don't have spare seats it might be worth it to get a couple of Evenflo Tributes, Maestros, or that newer Evenflo convertible seat that Jools likes (forgetting the name) so you have spares that are easy to install on a moment's notice. Or you could drive your DH's car and your sitter can drive the van with the seats in it.

I have no real BTDT experience with my DH being gone that long although back in March he was suppose to be gone for three weeks, but thankfully got sick the last week and got himself out of having to be gone for that third week.

Zukini
09-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Can you buy more breakfast/lunch containers so you can prep some of this stuff ahead of time? If you aren't comfortable hiring someone to pick up the kids from daycare, what about hiring someone for some of the evening hours? Either to play with the kids or to make dinner, clean, prep for the next day?

:yeahthat: +1 on getting duplicates or even triplicates (if they are inexpensive) of the food storage containers. One less thing to stress about (can be hand washed or loaded into the dishawasher on a much less tight schedule) and it allows you to prepack for more than one day (fruit, dry snacks, etc).

Also, definitely look into having the childcare help or household help scheduled for times with your direct supervision so you can at least breathe a little easier on that front. Baby steps!

And check into the local grocery delivery service or a shopping service where you swing by and pick up (eg. Whole Foods offers this service and the first service is free I believe. Call and ask, or check with the service desk). It requires you to be more open minded about the produce and meat they pick for you, but I'm sure is well worth the nominal service charge for the time and stress saved. Or bulk shop and stock up before DH leaves so at least you've got the essentials covered for the entire duration of his absence. Even perishables these days have a surprisingly long fridge life.

Zukini
09-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Also DH also travels for work (sometimes 10 days at a time :/ ) and we try to have a Skype convo every night (or early morning) even if for 3-4 minutes with one of us half-asleep (2-4 hr time difference). Skype while getting ready for work/bed or something like that. It doesn't need to be a formal sit down chat, just make that connection. The face to face helps not to feel so alone and distant.

If you can share your feelings on the importance of this in a quiet moment before he leaves, hopefully he will try to disconnect for those few minutes on a more regular basis and plug back into the home front. Maybe even some more intensive texting sessions when he is in a cab or between meetings/dinners will help...

belovedgandp
09-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Do you know any of the staff at daycare? I have two cousins in dual career families with weird evening hours. When the travel weeks collide with working late weeks they each have one or two people from the daycare that will bring their child home at the end of the day at the center and care for them in their home until they can get home.

niccig
09-02-2013, 12:50 AM
I have 2 sitters that have picked DS up from school, taken him to soccer/baseball practice, then home for homework, dinner, and put him to bed. They would do more like clean the kitchen, unpack, pack lunch, put laundry on etc if I asked. They both worked at YMCA and preschools. You will need to get them to come in a week or 2 before DH leaves to learn the routine. I like the idea of the person driving to your house and then getting DH's car so you don't have to worry about moving car seats. DS is in a booster seat, so I bought one for their car and they keep it in the trunk.

I would use paper plates and stock up on frozen, easy to cook food. DS gets TJs frozen mac n cheese or a bean burrito on nights the sitter gets him from school. I agree with buying more food containers and stocking up on things you can prepare for their meals in bulk. I'd even get the cleaning people to come in every week. Laundry can be dropped off at a laundromat too. Or you can be like my DH, ever since college days, he has enough underwear for 3 weeks!

mommy111
09-02-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm a single mom so your situation is my situation pretty much all the time. I find the best solution, when I need extra help or have major projects at work, is a babysitter/housekeeper who comes in 3-4hrs a day and picks kids, feeds them dinner, does the dishes, packs lunch and picks around the house. This really is what saves y sanity. Look at care.com

BayGirl2
09-02-2013, 02:02 AM
My DHs company subsidizes backup care we use when he's gone. It's through Bright Horizons which refers out to local agencies. Regardless of the subsidies, I'd still do it. I have a nanny come early in the am to get the kids up, dressed, fed and walk them to daycare, because I need to start work early and DH usually takes them. The first day I go with her through the whole routine, after that we were able to get the same person for all his trips.

In the evenings I handle everything myself. Usually DH or i freeze some meals before he leaves. After the kids go to bed I do all the clean up and prep for the next day, try to keep the house decluttered as much as possible. Weekends are harder than weekdays, I plan something out one day then if I can get someone to come over for a couple hours while I fold and put away laundry it's a huge help.

westwoodmom04
09-02-2013, 07:51 AM
I would not have someone drive your husband's car unless you are willing to add them to your insurance policy, too much liability otherwise (may or may not fall within lending depending how long it goes on and your state's insurance laws). I know the car seat issue is causing you a lot of worry, but most child care professionals will not mind if you install seats in their car. I had a lot of concern about about the nanny driving my kids until I actually meet her, had seats in her car, and checked her driving record.

alexsmommy
09-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I agree, if you can afford it, this is one of those times it really makes sense to pay for help.
I'd look for someone to pick up the kids, make dinner, prep the next days breakfast/lunches, etc. More of a "house manager" than just a sitter who will do laundry, light cleaning, etc.
Can you get the word out at your daycare? Maybe a mom there can suggest someone. Or a young grandmother type. Our nanny is a young grandmother type and she is awesome. She could tell I was getting frazzled one week and I came home to the refrigerator being clean (DS3 had taken an atypical nap so she used this time). I love her because she can think independently. Occasionally things aren't how I'd prefer them, but they are never bad or wrong and always ultimately helpful.
I'd start making a "manual" now so you are not trying to type that out later and it gives you time to think of the little things.

I have empathy. DH worked out of town for six months, only home every other weekend. Had my parents not lived on the same block, we would have had to hire someone for similar purposes. I still hired someone but not for as much as you will need. My friend had a good suggestion, she had a similar situation and she looked for a CNA who did in home care who was between jobs knowing that would be someone who was used to doing more than just nannying. She found someone who was amazing.

I also agree, if you an make things ahead, or at least set it up for success for someone else, all the better. Something like this:

http://happymoneysaver.com/cold-lunches-in-a-day/

Best of luck!

specialp
09-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Lots of good advice above so nothing to add but :hug: and wishing you the best. We have no family around either and it is terrible when DH is gone for a week so I can only imagine having to do it for 3.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-02-2013, 09:53 AM
My DHs company subsidizes backup care we use when he's gone. It's through Bright Horizons which refers out to local agencies.

this is awesome but sadly, where i live this kind of thing is a foreign concept (the notion of dual income families where both parents have demanding jobs that require travel and/or long hours). When i lived in Boston, LA, Bay Area i had several friends with kids mentioned their companies did this, but here i've never heard of it. It's another thing that makes it hard bc people here are not familiar with it and it makes me feel like the weirdest mom having to hire out so much help.

I'm thinking re: the lunch the easiest thing would be to Lunchables for the kids so all i literally have to do is toss it in their lunchbag with the ice pack. Yes they're crappy and whatnot but at least it's an easy way to get a nut-free, high-protein lunch, and plus they like them.

And right now we are looking into flying a grandparent over here to stay for a week. My FIL still works and cannot really take much time off. MIL is retired but watches BIL's kids (older 2 are in school, but the younger one is DS's age). So they'd have to find childcare arrangements. My mom still works, my Dad is currently unemployed so possibly he could come for another week. if i could get two weeks of help then i could probably handle the other 2 weeks solo, given they'd be spaced far enough apart. if not though i guess it looks like i will have to break down and hire someone to pick up the kids and handle pretty much all the household stuff. i don't know, it's not just hte carseat issue, i just having a hard time putting all my trust in one person that the kids wouldn't really know (at least at first), plus having to dictate to them every single task that needs to be done (i guess i take for granted that DH is not the typical clueless dad that needs to be told what to do all the time, he just does it).

oh and re: grocery delivery service..that would be nice. our local Kroger doens't do it..the only place i've found that does it is Whole Foods, which is $$$. I'd probably suck it up once though and try it for at least one of the weeks. Grocery shopping isn't actually too horrible as there's a Tom Thumb across the street from work and i go during lunch.

thanks for the suggestions, everyone!!

egoldber
09-02-2013, 10:06 AM
I think you really don't need them to do a lot. Just pick up the kids and keep them fed and occupied until you get home. It's only a temporary solution to a temporary problem. IMO that is a very different need from finding a long term child care provider. In that case you need to be a lot more demanding of their qualifications, but a short term sitter can be pretty mediocre in my book. :o

I would stock up at the grocery store before DH leaves and then just plan to use grocery delivery. Or when the ILs are there, just stock up again.

ETA: Maybe look into finding a teen sitter for the weekends so that you can run errands and pick up around the house. Even hire a tween to go to the grocery store WITH you to keep the kids occupied while you shop. My older DD would love to get paid to do something like that. :) And she's under your direct supervision the whole time.

I know it feels overwhelming and I've so been there. The worst part about being back at work for me is when DH travels. But you can do it. :)

crl
09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
I have seen the go picnic lunches suggested on here. Maybe a healthier option?
Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
09-02-2013, 10:57 AM
thanks again everyone! yeah i think the hugest thing for me is someone to pick up the kids and hanging out with them at home (they typically dont' even eat dinner until 6:30). if i could just leave work at 6:00 vs. 5:00 every day and come home to kids already home that would be the hugest, hugest help ever. but something else that makes me wonder is..if i hire someone from say, 5-8pm, i will have to provide them dinner right? would a frozen meal be suitable?? i usually just grab a frozen meal for myself. for the kids i usually just give them leftovers , i heat up frozen meatballs or sometimes they just have a Vitamix smoothie with some almonds. i do make annnie's mac n cheese sometimes

and go picnics are great, and we actually have a few in our pantry but they all have nuts or PB. I will have to check out target to see if they have nut=free version they could take to school. the other thing is that there are lots of little individual packs to open that might be hard for them. great suggestion though! i may use them for dinner sometimes.

egoldber
09-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Honestly, no I don't think you are responsible for providing them food. Again, this is not a nanny who will be with you for hopefully a very long time and in your home for hours every day. If it were me, I would give her extra $$ and tell her to feel free to order food for herself or to buy some food for herself to bring. She's an adult and can make/prep her own food. I have had sitters who packed their own dinner and just pocketed the money I left for their dinner as an extra bonus.

HannaAddict
09-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd ask at your daycare if someone there would be able to do aftercare. Or I'd spend the money (in our area $200 a year fee) to use a professional nanny service for a temporary nanny. Care.com is fine if you have time to wait for applications, weed through them, check references, etc.. but a good service will have done that, and in my experience, will have trained, good nannies. They should be able to use your car without being added to your insurance (occasional driver for you) (if they used the car for their persona life long term it can be an issue but you can let people use your car without adding or calling insurance co). If have the person pick up kids, feed them dinner and get lunches packed for the next day and popped in the fridge. Our nanny can have lunch boxes cleaned out and washed very quickly and make a lunch very quickly too if i haven't had a chance. When my husband is out of town, I do lunches the night before and keep them in the fridge or sign up for hot lunch at school if your kids like it and it's an option. Make breakfast simple and somethings just will not be as smooth.

I actually think the first few days are the hardest, then we get into a routine and it gets easier the longer it goes. The anxiety about it coming up can be worse than when he's finally gone. Hang in there.

ETA. Nannies are adults and you don't provide dinner. They bring their own food or eat before. It isn't a teen sitter gig where you leave chips and pizza. And half the time now, they are going gluten, lactose or whatever "free." I just say they can have something that is here but no one takes me up on it. And if your husband is gone on weekends, I would look for a teen or college sitter to hang with them on Saturday (maybe even an afternoon into evening and see your husband and given you both an adults only break). I know when my husband has been in trial or traveling and gone for weeks, he loves to be able to go have dinner out with just us even more than during his normal hectic schedule!

ZeeBaby
09-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I would tend to agree with most posters that said to hire someone you can use for the four weeks. Relying on family is sometime iffy and they don't want to commit to long periods of time. It a family member commits, great, but I think you should also be looking on Cares.com or speak to the daycare to see if any of the child are professionals there would like to make some extra money. It would be a win/win and in the future you can use this person if you are ever in a bind. They would also be very familiar with child safety and carseats.

I don't think you need to feed the person either. I always tell sitters to help themselves to the pantry. If I order pizza, they are welcome to help themselves. I don't think adults expect you to feed them.

Nooknookmom
09-03-2013, 01:52 AM
One thing that stood out to me was about your working in a male dominated world and them not having kids or SAHM wives & they expect you to do the same.

THIS IS A HUUUUGE ISSUE for me. As I had the same crud years ago with DD1. My boss was older and his wife was SAH and when their only son was Old enuff she did work but the boy was in HS By then. ALL of the other guys were alder and had no responsibility either except work, golf, beer (you know to meet clients-gag me) and strip clubs on the companies dime!

"I" was expected to stay till 7 PM sometimes if we had a million dollar contract going out. Ok-well they procrastinated so there was really no need for me to do that! And other times it was assumed I would stay after 5 & join them for "drinks" to discuss business etc.

Sorry Charlie I had a baby girl that just spent ALL day from 7 am away from her mama in someone else's care....I was getting my baby!

It took a while but because I worked In Constr. Mgt/HR I was able to use my "gonads" and just lay it out. If it is utterly necessary I will stay and help. God forbid they do it with out me! Otherwise at 5-I was getting my child. Deal with it.

They did too. It took me standing up for myself though - oh and my boss got tired of paying me OT 50-60hrs a week ads up! So he tried to salary me and req me to stay....I said fine...ill just come in at 10 or 11. Worked like a charm;)

You need flexibility in your work...I sense how stressed you are :(. Maybe telling them in advance will help too.

I would plan meals too...getting home so late is crazy to have to cook.

If you don't have a for cleaning service now is the time! Laundry-can you drop it at the cleaners???

I also have NO family near me and back then DH was not much help bc he was self employed and didn't get my work issues (I had the burden of carrying all our bene's and the larger salary!)

I am sure when your DH Leaves everyone here will be tossing helpful idea out to you!! You will be fine!

sntm
09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I have this situation frequently - DF travels most weeks for 3-5 days out of town, occasional weekends. I have a nanny, so some issues are easier, but still hard!

I agree with getting someone to pick the kids up, bring them home, and start some laundry for you. I also hire a friend who runs a meal prep business to make me a couple of healthy yummy meals that I can just reheat. When DS1 is at his dad's, the toddler and I share. Otherwise, I make them something easy like box mac and cheese with broccoli. We facetime in the early PM so DF can talk to the kids. I try to have the housecleaner come then. I grocery shop before he leaves, or occasionally on the way home where I can grab preprepared food for dinner. In some ways, it's easier, as long as I keep my expectations low.

baileygirl
09-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I noticed at Target today that they are selling Annie's kids meals targeted for kids in their freezer section. So like Mac and Cheese with chicken or Mac and Cheese with squash, etc.

jerigirl
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Check out Greenling.com I have a friend who I think lives near you that does this.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-08-2013, 04:09 PM
THANK you everyone for your suggestions.

So last week when DH was dropping off the kids at school he talked to the owner about this..explained the situation and said he was wondering if any teachers would be available for this kind of thing (4 week gig invovling picking the kids up from school every day,taking them to my house and staying with them for a couple hrs). She said she would post a note about it in the teachers room and see if anyone was interested. Well thankfully, a teacher in one of the toddler classrooms was interested. DH talked with her and it sounds like it will totally work out! :boogie: :) she ends work at 4pm so she will take the kids home to our house, and then she can stay with them, give them a snack and just hang out with them until 6:15 or 6:30 when i get home, and then maybe do some light housekeeping till about 7pm. We live 5 mins from the school, she says leaving the kids carseat installed in her car is fine, and she's actually done this sort of thing before, and she charges a very reasonable rate.....OMG, you can't imagine what a relief this is!! i seriously had been having a migraine on and off all last weekend stressing about it, and this just lifts the weight from my shoulders. It will be SUCH a relief not have to rush to take off at 5:00 each day, only to barely make it home with the kids by 6pm. It will make mornings easier too, bc i won't be feeling as rushed to get to work early since i won't have to leave so early anymore.

Anyway wanted to say THANK YOU so much for all the suggestions. I really had no idea where to start and you all helped me out! Love the BBB!!!

georgiegirl
09-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Awesome update! I'm so glad you found a solution.

LD92599
09-08-2013, 05:03 PM
That's a great update and a huge relief for you! Glad you have something in place weeks ahead of time.

R2sweetboys
09-08-2013, 05:14 PM
:cheerleader1:What a great update! I can imagine this must be a huge weight lifted off your shoulders. That's wonderful that your DH took the initiative to try and find you some reliable help. Yay!

niccig
09-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Yay for finding someone. If this goes well, she could be interested in helping out at other times when DH travels or you're both extra busy for work.

If she can't help another time, ask her if she knows anyone who would be interested. Maybe another teacher at daycare or someone else she knows. I've struck gold with babysitters that have siblings who also babysit. If one isn't available, usually the sister is.

hillview
09-08-2013, 06:20 PM
wow that is an awesome update! hurray!!

ZeeBaby
09-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Great update!

TxCat
09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
:cheerleader1: fantastic news! Glad it seems like it will work out!

ourbabygirl
09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
That's an awesome update! Yay for your DH for getting the ball rolling, and yay for you for keeping everything going at home while he's gone! :jammin: It must be a huge relief knowing you'll have someone who's qualified and has done this before!

echoesofspring
09-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Great update, what a relief. Hope it all goes smoothly during your DH's trip.

sunnyside
09-11-2013, 02:50 AM
You can do this! Hire lots of help! I use sittercity often. That is where I found my Nanny who is also a NICU nurse. There are some great resources there. Good luck!