PDA

View Full Version : Quick: Help me choose living room sofa color

mommy111
09-02-2013, 01:06 AM
We're putting in a sleeper sofa in our living room and I'm looking for suggestions as to color. We're thinking of the West Elm Henry sleeper and I'm trying to decide between a neutral dove grey with pillows/throws or a popping ink blue. I tend to shy away from colors (note the white couch, white walls) and so am thinking grey will open up the space and be neutral, but the blue may really add character to the room and is less likely to get dirty. Our current sectional is a white leather and we have a couple of larger empty walls, one will get a sleeper sofa and the other most likely a couple of chairs. There are gold-framed sketches (to match the side table) that go on the walls. What do you ladies think? Opinions really appreciated, we're hoping to buy something before the sofa sale is over on Monday
Here's the Henry
http://www.westelm.com/products/henry-sofa-g178/?pkey=e%7Chenry%7C14%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

Here's a photo of our living room

Here's a medley showing the other furniture we have in there

azzeps
09-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Hmm. I am no good with interior design decisions, just to get that upfront. But a sofa is generally a major purchase and one that you will live with for a long time. Our first sofa was plaid. After a few years, I really wished I had chosen something more "blank slate" or neutral (the colors were neutral, but it was a window-pane plaid). Anyway, when we replaced it last year we got something sort of sand colored, and "pottery barned" it up with a TON of throw pillows. Just look in their catalog next time and you will see what I mean. Throw pillows are a lot easier and cheaper to change the covers on than getting a whole new sofa. I like your white leather sofa. Is it getting a new home? I'm not sure about grey or blue with the rug. Does it have those colors in it? I am getting more of a red/green/warm vibe from the rug, but maybe the colors are just not coming through in the photo. If I were pressed to choose, I'd pick the neutral, safe, grey, which can be jazzed up with pillows in other colors. I know. I'm a "play it safe" kinda gal. Good luck!

azzeps
09-02-2013, 01:26 AM
One more comment about sofa-buying in general, since we just went through this last winter... have you been to see the sofa in person? Touch it? See how you like the feel of the fabric? Sit on it to see how comfy (or not) it is? I do remember that there were sofas I really liked on line but didn't care for when I saw them in person. I also needed to sit on them because I didn't want a sofa with a really deep seat, as I'm short. Also the sofa was for our living room, and not a more relaxed area where I figured we'd be sitting on it rather than lounging.

I looked at the blue, and it seems really dark, almost like it could be a neutral without being beige or white, you know? I like it too. I like the grey one too, but grey is very "a la mode" and does that mean that it will no longer be a la mode before you are ready for a new one? In the end pick what you love the most. The rest does not matter.

mommy111
09-02-2013, 01:41 AM
The blue is definitely dark so its my version of a 'dark neutral' :) I think the grey is very trendy right now, but I do think greys are neutral enough to fit at any time. So yes, I'm stuck. We've obsessively sat on the sofa, measured etc. I really would like a tufted sofa preferably with no arms better, but the reality of our situation is that there is such little space in the house that we need a sofa bed.

WatchingThemGrow
09-02-2013, 07:27 AM
I'm feeling like another color would go better with that rug, although I love both of the colors you have picked. We are on the verge of putting together a living room, so I feel your pain.

TwinFoxes
09-02-2013, 07:48 AM
I'm feeling like another color would go better with that rug, although I love both of the colors you have picked.

I agree completely.

meggie t
09-02-2013, 08:26 AM
The blue. Definitely. Acts as a neutral, you can use some great pillows for additional color, and I think it will complement your rug better than gray.

mommy111
09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm feeling like another color would go better with that rug, although I love both of the colors you have picked. We are on the verge of putting together a living room, so I feel your pain.

I agree completely.
Any idea on color? I tried some of the warmer colors like the sand/stone but the color looked kind of dull and I was afraid it would dull up the living room. But if you have any additional color ideas, I'm open. Perhaps brown, but that would look really dull in the summer, no?

AshleyAnn
09-02-2013, 10:11 AM

I agree! I don't see much of either color in the rug.

If you're planning to keep the rug I'd either choose the neutral base of the rug (cream/white) and throw pillows is the colored portion or going extreme and using either of the two dominant colors (burgandy or gold? Hard to tell in the pic) and minimal throw pillows.

egoldber
09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, I don't pretend to be a decorator, but your other colors and the room in general read "warm" to me whereas the ink sofa reads "cool". What about Espresso or Poppy? We bought a brick red sectional 7 years ago. I was afraid I would hate it, but I love it and it totally warms up any space it is in. I even have an accent wall in my new family room to coordinate with it. ;)

Twoboos
09-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I was also going to suggest one of the more brown colors (Espresso, Mocha, Hazy Taupe, Otter). The Hazy Taupe is a bit green which could work with the green shades in the rug.

We were heavily leaning toward an Espresso or some-shade-of-beige sofa, but ended up with a dark grey, more like the Shadow color. LOVE it!! I have some great throw pillows and an awesome ottoman that really pops with it.

gamma
09-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I like Shadow a lot!

lhafer
09-02-2013, 12:44 PM
It's hard to tell because the rug in the 1st photo has a lot of red in it, and I can see VERY small amounts of blue - and more green. But the second picture collage shows a rug with a lot more blue hues in it. Can you take a picture of just the rug? I like the blue, but not sure it would really go with your rug.

kristenk
09-02-2013, 01:04 PM
It's hard to tell because the rug in the 1st photo has a lot of red in it, and I can see VERY small amounts of blue - and more green. But the second picture collage shows a rug with a lot more blue hues in it. Can you take a picture of just the rug? I like the blue, but not sure it would really go with your rug.

:yeahthat: The rug in the living room picture looks so very different from the rug in the medley image.

I like the colors you've chosen, but I don't think either one works all that well with the rug (at least, with the rug in the living room image). I'm not a fan of a gray and gold combination, so having the gold on the end table and the wall frames would rule the gray color out for me. I like the ink blue better than the gray, but I can't tell how well it would work with the rug.

How about Hazy Taupe?

elbenn
09-02-2013, 02:04 PM
I think the stone or toast would look better with the rug and still be a light neutral that could pop with some colorful pillows.

fivi2
09-02-2013, 05:22 PM
What about a green like the Moss color?

I have a grey couch (a bit darker than that grey, I think) and I love it. But I agree with the others that your rug doesn't seem to go grey. With your walls I wouldn't do a light neutral. I would do a darker brown or a green. I like the poppy color, but your rug seems to have a lot of red and I would be afraid of over-doing the red...

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Your living room pics were distinctive and I remembered that you were thinking of a love seat a while back. Did you pick one? Just wondering if that color might factor in?

Anyway, with that rug, I'd stick in the brown family. But I'm boring.

specialp
09-02-2013, 10:17 PM
:yeahthat: The rug in the living room picture looks so very different from the rug in the medley image.

I like the colors you've chosen, but I don't think either one works all that well with the rug (at least, with the rug in the living room image). I'm not a fan of a gray and gold combination, so having the gold on the end table and the wall frames would rule the gray color out for me. I like the ink blue better than the gray, but I can't tell how well it would work with the rug.

How about Hazy Taupe?

:yeahthat: Gray and gold rug, frames, etc. do not work well IMO. The 2 rugs in your picture looks so different. I love the sofa, but just cannot see either of those colors working well with the rug pictured in the LR although both would work with the medley.