PDA

View Full Version : Quick allergy help anyone

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
I just fed DS a soy milk drink box (I thought it was rice dream). He's allergic to soy & anaphylactic to other foods. I'm at te grocery store. He threw up & has hives on contact from soymilk & throw up. I gave him Benadryl. He seems ok now. He's running around happy. I'm terrified that this will turn into anaphylaxis cuz it didn't happen instantly with the other foods. Does anyone know how much time needs to pass before I can be sure he's ok? I'm afraid to get into my car cuz I can't see him every second. So were hanging out in grocery store parking lot. He's partying & I'm sortof a mess.

Kindra178
09-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Before the Sacramento story, I would have said he was fine. Observe for ten to twenty minutes. So sorry you are dealing with this.

almostamom
09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
How's he doing now? Personally, I'd probably go sit in the parking lot of the ER or Urgent Care if they're close (ours is literally 2 min from the grocery store). Has he ever gone into anaphylaxis before? Do you have an Epi with you? Is this a normal reaction to soy for him? I'm so sorry this happened. Sending you both lots of hugs. Please keep us updated.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Before the Sacramento story, I would have said he was fine. Observe for ten to twenty minutes. So sorry you are dealing with this.
I think I purposefully skipped that story but now I feel like I need to know what happened.
Its now about an hour & he seems totally fine. He coughed a few times & my heart stopped each time. The should include Valium for the mothers along with the Epipen.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 10:58 AM
How's he doing now? Personally, I'd probably go sit in the parking lot of the ER or Urgent Care if they're close (ours is literally 2 min from the grocery store). Has he ever gone into anaphylaxis before? Do you have an Epi with you? Is this a normal reaction to soy for him? I'm so sorry this happened. Sending you both lots of hugs. Please keep us updated.
Hmm, ER parking lot is a good idea. It's 2 blocks from my house & both are about 10 mins from grocery store. He's gone into full anaphylaxis after eating peas & mini anaphylaxis from eggs. I did have an Epipen, always do. If I didn't I would've probably called 911 right away. He's never had straight soy milk before but reacted to soy in things & tested pretty high for soy. Because I know he anaphylactic to peas I have no idea what his other reactions will be. It just occurred to me that this probably means I need to watch him even more carefully if he has another exposure because the pea reaction wa his third exposure.

Thank you both for responding & for your kind words. I actually burst out crying to a grand mother who was praying while she waited for a bus. I asked her to pray for him & just poured my heart out to her. That was embarrassing but I just couldn't keep the fear inside any longer.

almostamom
09-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I actually burst out crying to a grand mother who was praying while she waited for a bus. I asked her to pray for him & just poured my heart out to her. That was embarrassing but I just couldn't keep the fear inside any longer.

I don't think the grandmother being there praying was a coincidence. I think she was there because you needed her to be. I'm glad you had someone IRL with you at that moment. I do understand how scary it is and I completely agree about the valium accompanying the Epi prescription - GENIUS!!!

megs4413
09-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm sorry this happened. :( I know it's terrifying.

I am pretty sure that you should give the epi and head to the ER for vomiting on a known ingestion. At least that's what DH's and DS' action plans say. I'd review your action plan with your doc for sure so that you're more confident going forward. As for what to do today, I'd probably put a call into your doc and ask their advice while I was sitting in the ER parking lot.

I'm so sorry. big, big hugs! Prayers for your little one and for your Mommy heart!

MSWR0319
09-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry this happened. :( I know it's terrifying.

I am pretty sure that you should give the epi and head to the ER for vomiting on a known ingestion. At least that's what DH's and DS' action plans say. I'd review your action plan with your doc for sure so that you're more confident going forward. As for what to do today, I'd probably put a call into your doc and ask their advice while I was sitting in the ER parking lot.

I'm so sorry. big, big hugs! Prayers for your little one and for your Mommy heart!

:yeahthat: DS's action plan says hives + vomiting = Epi and 911. Even vomiting alone we are told to Epi if it's a known ingestion. Do you have an action plan for future exposures? I hope he's doing ok since it's been a few hours.

MamaMolly
09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Huge, huge hugs. I'd go sit outside the ER if I were you. I think the usual window for a biphasic reaction is about 4 hours. Vomiting is a good thing, he's getting the allergen out.

The only time Lula had a peanut exposure she had swollen lips, coughing/itchy mouth and I gave her Benedryl as we drove to the ER. (we were in the car when it happened) I sat beside her with the epi out the whole way. She vomited, too. In the end we didn't epi, neither did the ER.

I want to offer hugs to you. It is so frightening. My heart is there with you, as are my prayers.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 03:02 PM
:yeahthat: DS's action plan says hives + vomiting = Epi and 911. Even vomiting alone we are told to Epi if it's a known ingestion. Do you have an action plan for future exposures? I hope he's doing ok since it's been a few hours.
Really? I am surprised by this & what Megs wrote. Vomiting is a symptom of severe reaction but I'm pretty sure our action plan is epi only if there's breathing trouble/ wheezing. I will double check this with his allergist.

Kindra178
09-02-2013, 03:32 PM
I am surprised too. Ds has a vomiting reaction and our allergist told us vomiting as a reaction to exposure is less common. I think I even posted about it. Do all your food allergic kids vomit?

Ms, I hope your ds is doing ok.

Simon
09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm hoping your Ds is okay, but our plan also would say that vomiting + hives = Epi plus 911. Its because it involves 2 body systems. Our plan looks a lot like this one. (http://www.myallergycare.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/FAAP.pdf)
An antihistamine is really about reducing discomfort from the hives and is not going to resolve a serious allergic reaction.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 05:46 PM
To clarify, he had several tiny hives in several areas, perhaps where the soymilk came in contact with his skin. I wouldn't call it full body hives, or even all over his face, which he did have with his anaphylactic reaction. I'll double check the plan with our allergist but I don't believe the antihistamine is just for comfort. It does actually seem to relieve the symptoms, provided they aren't already past that stage.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 05:48 PM
I am surprised too. Ds has a vomiting reaction and our allergist told us vomiting as a reaction to exposure is less common. I think I even posted about it. Do all your food allergic kids vomit?

Ms, I hope your ds is doing ok.

Interesting. In our house, vomiting is the most common reaction. DS is anaphylactic but DD never has been.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 05:51 PM
I don't think the grandmother being there praying was a coincidence. I think she was there because you needed her to be. I'm glad you had someone IRL with you at that moment. I do understand how scary it is and I completely agree about the valium accompanying the Epi prescription - GENIUS!!!
Ok, this post made me choke up a little. I think you are right.
DS is completely fine now & I've told this story to a couple of people (therapy I guess :) ) It really doesn't sound all that bad that I gave him soymilk & he vomited but its hard to describe the terror that I felt during that half hour literally hoping & praying for his life. I think I lost a couple of years today. These although are so scary, even when they end well.

lil_acorn
09-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Glad he is all right. In our scary experience, my ds has vomited after exposure to nuts. That sent us to the ER for epi and monitoring for the next 6 hours.

ShanaMama
09-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Glad he is all right. In our scary experience, my ds has vomited after exposure to nuts. That sent us to the ER for epi and monitoring for the next 6 hours.
So the ER gave Epi due to vomiting? Even with no breathing issues?