PDA

View Full Version : if you live in a warm climate, when do you decorate for fall?

megs4413
09-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I have struggled with this since we moved...this is our 3rd fall here and I still don't have a good answer to this. Fall decorating is one of my favorite things, but it is still in the 100s here and very much summer. It probably won't cool significantly until October and even then, it won't be "fall" type weather. So, if you live in a similar climate, when do you decorate for fall? Do you think it's something that depends on weather or something that is a matter of the date on the calendar? I'm tempted to go ahead and decorate this week since we're past Labor Day, but I don't want the neighbors to think I'm crazy. What would you do or do you do? TIA!

kristenk
09-02-2013, 11:54 AM
For me, fall decorations go up after the Halloween decorations come down (and there's a bit of overlap there, so some decorations go up for Halloween and then stay up). September usually doesn't feel very fall-like, so October 1 is usually the beginning of seasonal/Halloween decoration for me.

BDKmom
09-02-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't really do much decorating, but it seems like stuff starts going up around here the beginning of October.

DietCokeLover
09-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Usually mid to late October for me, even though it doesn't feel very fall like sometimes

PunkyBoo
09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Um. .. what is fall decorating? I've lived in southern California my whole life and I have no idea what you mean. I put up Halloween decorations about a week before Halloween and Christmas decorations about 2-3 weeks before Christmas.

AnnieW625
09-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Um. .. what is fall decorating? I've lived in southern California my whole life and I have no idea what you mean. I put up Halloween decorations about a week before Halloween and Christmas decorations about 2-3 weeks before Christmas.

:yeahthat: although only spent the last 9 in So Cal and 2 yrs. in college. We start Xmas usually the weekend after Thanksgiving or he first week in December.

specialp
09-02-2013, 01:45 PM
For me, fall decorations go up after the Halloween decorations come down (and there's a bit of overlap there, so some decorations go up for Halloween and then stay up).

:yeahthat:

Zukini
09-02-2013, 01:59 PM
My Fall decor goes up in early October and Christmas right after Thanksgiving. Decor changes consist of door wreaths, table runner and center pieces in formal dining, and accent pieces and dried floral arrangements in living areas (console tables, mantle, shelves).

It's tough though to be thinking of fall decor when its still so warm outside. And stores obviously haven't received the notice that the heat is on and and pools are still open :/ . Hobby Lobby had full aisles!! Of not just fall decor but Christmas trees and ornaments. In August!

TwinFoxes
09-02-2013, 02:01 PM

As a SoCal native, I will enlighten you. ;) People put out decorative flags with fall leaves, some folks put up fake scarecrows, door wreaths made of fall colored leaves, planters full of mums, etc. The amount of stuff depends on your enthusiasm for seasonal decoration. I'm lucky to get a pot of mums on the front porch.

abh5e8
09-02-2013, 02:03 PM
i love fall decor...pumpkins and gourds, (fake) fall colored leaves, straw bales, mums, kind of a harvest theme. but i wonder if its a more regional thing, because the decor is based on what grows here (in the midwest) and our trees (decidious). i can't imagine i would decorate this way if we lived in a tropical climate.

i put mine out when its gets cool...end of sept or in oct. but i dont' really do halloween decorations, so my fall goes from end of sept to end of nov. then after thanksgiving i put out christmas decor.

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Sept 21. October 1 for Halloween, at the earliest.

KpbS
09-02-2013, 02:38 PM
We live a bit north of you guys and I put things out Oct 1st.

elliput
09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Sept 21. October 1 for Halloween, at the earliest.
:yeahthat: Even though I'm not in a warmer climate, this is the timeline I use.

speo
09-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Yeah. Ditto. Although I have my Halloween decorations up for 2 weeks.

ETA: Oops. I meant to quote PunkyBoo's post. We don't have fall decorations. We don't really have fall in SoCal.

okinawama
09-02-2013, 05:13 PM
My fall decor consists of a fall wreath, so I'm hardly a good benchmark, but I hang that in mid october and leave it up until the day after Thanksgiving (when the Christmas wreath goes up...). When I lived in a cold climate I used to decorate with fresh pumpkins, but since we've moved to a warmer climate, pumpkins mold crazy fast, so that easy-no-brainer fall decor has been nixed.