PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had a young (5-7 or so) ds in gymnastics?

karstmama
09-02-2013, 04:37 PM
did he enjoy it? what skills did he learn (life skills, like martial arts/discipline or baseball/team playing or what have you)? i've signed ds up & want to hear others' experiences & ways to know it is being successful beyond him enjoying it. to be clear, that's all that *needs* to happen, but i *am* trying for some of the discipline/waiting turns in line type things.

so, basically, a call for data points - what did your sons get out of gymnastics?

Simon
09-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Ds1 took a class this summer. The teacher was a man, the owner of the gym, and he was fantastic. Kept the boys busy and kept them on task with little down time and handed out discipline for all infractions he saw. He ran a tight ship but was very positive about efforts and not just success. He also was respectful of the boys, and gave more serious dressing downs more privately. I think he was/is an excellent role model. During the 1 hour each week, they did warm ups together then spent time on different skills, basic tumbling but also bars, vault, etc. He often broke the boys up (all boys class) into small groups of 3 and sent them to do different types of activities in multiple stations. This gave them practice on short stints of unsupervised activity to practice taking turns, staying focused, being self-motivated to do it, etc. The teacher kept his eye on them sporadically but focused mainly on the group with him. I don't think its the same as martial arts in the degree to which it might teach self-discipline and certainly not at all the team stuff of soccer, etc. But it did do more life skills than some of the other things we've done. Way more than swimming or soccer, for example, but its largely because of the instructor, IMO. ETA: I forgot to add that Ds loved it and we'll be signing him up for over the winter, once its too cold for outdoor stuff around here.

cono0507
09-02-2013, 05:00 PM
did he enjoy it? what skills did he learn (life skills, like martial arts/discipline or baseball/team playing or what have you)? i've signed ds up & want to hear others' experiences & ways to know it is being successful beyond him enjoying it. to be clear, that's all that *needs* to happen, but i *am* trying for some of the discipline/waiting turns in line type things.

so, basically, a call for data points - what did your sons get out of gymnastics?

DS did recreational gymnastics 1 hr a week from age 5.5-7. Mainly it was to keep him busy during his sister's class.
It was great for him - built strength and balance and really improved his soccer game. It was a success all around.

smilequeen
09-02-2013, 05:50 PM
My boys took gymnastics at least through K (5-6) before they got too busy with other sports. I thought it was great for their overal development...balance, strength, fitness, etc. that I also think helped them with their other sports. They loved it and still love to go to Boys Nights at the gym.

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Ds1 took it til he was about 7yo. He didn't really learn any life skills. He had fun and did have to take turns but we just did it because it was a convenient physical activity and he isnt into sports.

hillview
09-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Both DSs did it. They liked it. No major life lessons etc but it was a well run program, they learned to follow directions, got some energy out, etc

karstmama
09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
thanks, guys. this is just a totally new sport to me from the participant side - i'm from a really small town.

niccig
09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
DS did gymnastics. Coach was fantastic with squirrely boys, they definitely run off energy. At times they are expected to control their bodies and follow directions - there were a few boys who were in gymnastics to be better at that. DS has a 6 pack stomach, very good balance and can do crazy things on the rings. It was very good for him. He made the competitive team twice, but both times we opted to stay in classes only, as competition is intense and he's not ready for that.