PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have keyless entry (keypad) on their house door?

liz
09-03-2013, 09:23 AM
We need to get a new lock on a door which opens to outside of the house. I am interested in keyless locks like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27. Anyone have one? pros or cons?

egoldber
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM
We had one on our last house and installed one in our new house. We love it. On ours, we can have different codes, so we can give our house cleaners one code and we can change it if we need to without giving up our "family" code. I love that older DD can let herself into the house without needing to carry a key (that she would certainly lose).

theriviera
09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
We have something similar to that for our fence doors. We love it!

elliput
09-03-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't have one for entry doors, but I do use a couple of the type with levers to keep the kids out of my sewing and storage rooms. ASD + poor impulse control + thread + scissors + beads + fabric = BIG HUGE MESS. I really like their convenience and have considered getting one for our front entry, but am unsure of DD's ability to remember the code and/or not tell anyone what it is.

lhafer
09-03-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't have one on my own door, but we rented a house for 5 weeks this summer that had almost that exact lock on their doors. Loved it. Made it very easy for us to come and go. It was nice because my 7 year old could lock/unlock the door without the need for keys, etc. Loved that locking system.

Twoboos
09-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I've been seriously considering getting one of these. If you have it, is it on your front door/a street-facing door? For some reason I feel like it should go on the back door so it's not easily visible from the street. (Our mudroom door faces the street, so it looks like we have two front doors.)

egoldber
09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Ours is on our front entry door. We also have a keyless entry pad on our garage door (and we never lock the door from the garage to the house).

kara97210
09-03-2013, 09:58 AM
We have one of these on our side entry. It's great! We installed it because my mom visits a lot, and she can arrive while we are at work and let herself in even if she forgets her spare key (which happens a lot). Also good for DH who at our last place, more than once, locked himself out when taking out the garbage.

BabyBearsMom
09-03-2013, 10:16 AM
I would really like one on our house. We had one on the rental house where we stayed at the beach this summer and it was great. We have a bunch of families stayin together and it was nice not to worry about if you had your key or losing it on the beach. I think it would be nice at home too since we have a ton of people who have keys to our house (each of us, my sister, my parents, DH's parents, the dog walker, the cleaning ladies, and one of our neighbors). It would be so much better if we could just give each of them a code and then not worry about the keys.

123LuckyMom
09-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Ours is on our front entry door. We also have a keyless entry pad on our garage door (and we never lock the door from the garage to the house).

My mother has this same set up, only she has no place where you can use a key. The only really annoying thing about her locks is that the doors are permanently locked. You can open the door with the code, but when you close the door, it locks behind you. There is no way to leave the door unlocked if you're having a party, for instance, or if guests are bringing in luggage. If the door is closed, it's locked. As far as I know, there's no way on her system to override this "feature." If you don't mind this, or if the lock you're considering doesn't work this way, I'd definitely go for it! It's great to be able to open the doors with a code!!!

div_0305
09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Which lock would those of you who have them recommend? I love the idea of keyless and different codes for people.

egoldber
09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Ours is a Schlage. Very similar to the one posted by the OP.

hellokitty
09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
We have one on our garage and I love it. Esp now that my 8 and 9 yr old are old enough to use it. If definitely consider a door lock pad too.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

div_0305
09-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Thanks!!

zukeypur
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I've never seen such a thing. Interesting! Does it replace the dead bolt? Do you still have a lock on the door knob?

kristenk
09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
We just got a keyless deadbolt this summer! Before we switched, we had a doorknob that had a twist button lock on it and a deadbolt. We switched to a plain (no lock) knob and the keyless deadbolt. I had hoped to find something keyless to take the place of our doorknob and keep our keyed deadbolt, but I couldn't find anything that would work.

Our lock is from Arrow. We've been very happy with it. It's so nice that DD can let herself in when we get home instead of waiting on us to unlock the door. It's also nice to go for a walk but leave all the keys at home.

Ours is on the door from the garage to the house.

div_0305
09-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I just bought the one linked in OP. It's actually 15% cheaper than the goldbox price--about $78 for me with tax. How do you know the battery is running low, and the backup plan if you don't change the battery before it runs out?

♥ms.pacman♥
09-03-2013, 12:26 PM
We have a Schlage too. LOVE it. Great for when u have house cleaner or sitter coming during tge day when we're both out.

HannaAddict
09-03-2013, 12:31 PM
We have one on our vacation house so we can provide access to housekeeper etc. if we aren't there. Rather than give them the code. We remotely via iPhone, open it and they can lock it when done ( or we can remotely). It sends as us an email/text if the door is unlocked or locked (we have alarm system too). The first one ate batteries, the current one is better.

kit
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Our house already had one on the door from the garage to the house (looks just like the one OP linked to). We love it! You can key in multiple codes, switch whether it automatically locks upon closing or not, or open it with a key (same key that opens our front door). Great for giving out a code to cleaners, babysitters, out of town visitors, etc.

Twoboos
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
We have one on our vacation house so we can provide access to housekeeper etc. if we aren't there. Rather than give them the code. We remotely via iPhone, open it and they can lock it when done ( or we can remotely). It sends as us an email/text if the door is unlocked or locked (we have alarm system too). The first one ate batteries, the current one is better.

Ohhh tell me more about this one! What brand is it? DH loves anything you can control with the iPhone, LOL!

egoldber
09-03-2013, 01:28 PM
We looked into the one you could control remotely, but IIRC it was a lot more and there is also a monthly fee.

ETA: But the idea of knowing that older DD had let herself in the house from the middle school bus was tempting.

mypa
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
We have this one from Simplicikey with remote! Works just like the keyless remote for cars. So nice to just hit a button and unlock the door. I got mine at Costco for around $130. The remotes sometimes dies but we've had no trouble contacting the company and getting replacements sent out to us for free. I believe they also sell at Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/SimpliciKey-SRCED-SN-2-Control-Electronic-Deadbolt/dp/B008EX66GC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1378229147&sr=1-1&keywords=simplicikey

Keyless locks have been a life changer.

pastrygirl
09-03-2013, 02:18 PM
We have one in the inner garage door that leads into the house. That way we can leave the outer door unlocked when we're expecting guests, housecleaner, or babysitters (each have their own code). We also have one that leads to the basement because it was my husband's wood workshop and pretty dangerous down there. Now we're finishing the basement and will move that keypad to a different door.

ETA: Our garage one looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-FE595-CAM-619-GEO/dp/B001CO9RKM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1378232321&sr=8-8&keywords=schlage+keyless

Our basement one has a lever handle.

nrp
09-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I like this for our new house. For those that have this model. It looks like there is a key lock, too. Can you coordinate that lock with the other doors on your house? We need to get the new house rekeyed anyway, but wasn't sure you could change the key lock on this model.

vludmilla
09-03-2013, 04:14 PM
We too have a Schlage keypad entry on our front door and we love it. Ours does not automatically lock when closed unless you choose to program it that way.