PDA

View Full Version : FA parents, can you help me understand this?

TwoBees
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I just received a list of lunch suggestions for DD's preschool (as in, here are some suggestions of fun and nutritious items you can send for your kid's lunch). On this list is hummus. I had thought that because chickpeas are legumes they would be off limtis as DD's school is nut free (and peanuts are also legumes). I verified with the school, and they said that chickpeas are fine to send to school. Afterwards, I also noticed that peas were on the suggestion list. Can you help me understand why chickpeas and peas are allowed but not peanuts and tree nuts?

Thanks!

Kindra178
09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Although some people have a sesame or bean allergy, they are a far less common allergy than peanuts or tree nuts. My peanut and tree nut allergic kid eats hummos and peas all the time. He is also not allergic to beans but he doesn't love them. Many parents of non food allergic kids have allergy fatigue, as in, "My kid is in the 5th percentile for weight and he will only eat peanut butter. Why is this my problem?" Kudos to your school for suggesting alternatives.

TwoBees
09-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Although some people have a sesame or bean allergy, they are a far less common allergy than peanuts or tree nuts. My peanut and tree nut allergic kid eats hummos and peas all the time. He is also not allergic to beans but he doesn't love them. Many parents of non food allergic kids have allergy fatigue, as in, "My kid is in the 5th percentile for weight and he will only eat peanut butter. Why is this my problem?" Kudos to your school for suggesting alternatives.

Thank you! That helps. I had always just assumed hummus was prohibited, but I never actually asked.

Clarity
09-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Yep, this. My PA kid eats hummus, peas, beans and other legumes regularly. She is only allergic to peanuts. I also think that it's in part due to the range of hightened sensitivities to peanuts that make it so problematic, that and the sticky nature of things made with peanut butter.

MamaMolly
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Another mama with a peanut allergic kid. She can eat chickpeas and all kinds of peas, no problem (although chooses not to. Whole different problem!;)). She is not allergic to tree nuts either, but we've been cautioned by her allergist to avoid them because they are often cross contaminated with peanut protein.

Green22
09-03-2013, 01:31 PM
My PN/TN kids are allergic to chickpeas. 1 is allergic to peas and sesame as well.

I am impressed that you made the legume connection. I cannot tell you how many times i have had to explain it and people look at me like they cannot understand.

Julia child has a reciepe for canneli bean dip that i make without the tahini that my kids love in case anyone is looking for hummus alternatives.