PDA

View Full Version : wwyd? had a tree branch fall on neighbor's fence (long)

tabegle
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Earlier this summer, a willow tree in my yard had a huge branch fall down (rotted from the inside) and fell on the neighbor's fence (just one panel) and on their kid's trampoline.

We had had the willow tree dead-wooded about a year and a half prior, and there was no mention of the tree needing to be taken down or any mention of the rot we found 1.5 years later.

So, when the branch fell, we both called our insurance companies, and it turns out that my insurance company will only pay for the branch removal and the neighbor's insurance would take care of their fence and trampoline. Of course, separately, none of those expenses even come close to a $1000 deductible. Legally, we only need to remove our tree and that's it. There was no "neglect" of the tree. If there was, if the neighbor warned us of a issue, my insurance would have covered all of it. (minus my lovely deductible of course).

Instead of just getting the huge branch removed ($600 or $800, I don't remember) we decided to take the whole willow tree down which was $1600 or $1800. Willow trees are a soft wood and we didn't want the rest of the tree falling on our house or their house.

We offered to help make things right with the neighbors. After all, we plan on living here a long time and want to get along. :) At the time, they gave us info on the trampoline and told us they were getting prices on the fence repair. The trampoline just needed a couple of new support poles. However, for the cost of those, you could get a brand new trampoline. Since then, the poles were bent back into shape, and for a few months, I had seen their kid using the trampoline. Additionally, DH has asked on multiple occasions the cost of the fence repair with a "don't worry about it" type of response.

Fast forward to a Sentsy party the neighbor invited me to. I heard her telling her kid to stay off the trampoline. Should I have said anything? Should I have asked why? I noticed I haven't seen anyone using the trampoline lately. At the same time, have we made enough of an effort to rectify things when we thought the trampoline was fine to use well after the incident and several offers to help pay for the fence?

ha98ed14
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Ignore. Ignore. Ignore. You've offered to help pay for the damage multiple times. They have declined/never taken you up on it. This conversation was not directed at you; therefore, it is not your concern.

Sorry, I didn't realize she was telling her OWN kid to stay off the trampoline. Still, thought, I would ignore it because she didn't bring it up to you directly.

vonfirmath
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
The first week of owning our house, our neighbor's tree fell on our house! Luckily it didn't fall THROUGH the roof, just broke the fence and some shingles

We called the roof repair people and luckily it had just scattered some shingles. Without even asking, our neighbor took care of the fence (fixed it himself) and took the tree down. We took care of the roof and they've been excellent neighbors ever since.

elbenn
09-03-2013, 01:19 PM
It sounds like you have done enough by offering to pay for their expenses. It also sounds like you have a good relationship with them since your neighbor invited you to a scentsy party at her house. Maybe order some extra scentsy to be nice?

ellies mom
09-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it since they told you everything was good. There could be a billion reasons why they don't want their kids on the trampoline right now that have nothing to do with the damage from the tree branch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tabegle
09-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks all. Helps me feel better. :)