PDA

View Full Version : WHOOPS! Help me salvage this dinner!

megs4413
09-03-2013, 03:21 PM
So, having Monday off has thrown me off a bit here and I accidentally made tomorrow night's dinner today. :( It's a crock pot meal so it had to go in early. it's cooking right now. Trouble is, I made chicken that has to be used today pretty much (at least I think so) and now I'm going to end up with two meals for one day and nothing for tomorrow. what would you do?

I've got crock pot pork chops in right now. they were fresh, not frozen. Could I maybe freeze this? I'm not sure if they will reheat well...

I've also got shredded salsa chicken. made it in the crockpot in a huge batch last week. Froze half the batch and we ate half last week in tacos. I reheated it all yesterday (so I don't think you can refreeze now that it's been reheated) and made quesadillas...we ate quesadillas for lunch today also, but I only reheated the small amount we needed. I think I can stretch the chicken to dinner tonight (to stick in enchiladas) but maybe that's even stretching it? Anyone know? I don't think it will keep in the fridge to tomorrow since it's from the freezer, not fresh. Anyone know if I'm off on this? If I could, I think it would be best to just use the chicken tomorrow as long as it won't make us sick...I'm pregnant, so I'm extra nervous about food safety.

What can i do? TIA!

BunnyBee
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't eat meat leftovers after 3ish days. Last week = when? Or was this frozen until yesterday? If so, it should be fine tomorrow.

sariana
09-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Wow, I wouldn't even think twice about using the chicken tomorrow, but I'm pretty lax about food. You defrosted it yesterday, you said? I really don't see a problem with keeping it one more day. I would hesitate to eat it cold (straight from the fridge), but cooking it into enchiladas should be fine, I would think.

megs4413
09-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't eat meat leftovers after 3ish days. Last week = when? Or was this frozen until yesterday? If so, it should be fine tomorrow.

Sorry..I made it last week and immediately froze half. I defrosted that half yesterday to use in quesadillas.

YouAreTheFocus
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
I would eat the pork fresh tonight and use the rest of the chicken for lunch or whatever tomorrow. I wouldn't worry at all about defrosting meat on Monday and then eating it on Wednesday. I don't think that's a stretch at all.

abh5e8
09-03-2013, 04:49 PM
or you could just put the pork in the fridge today/tonight when its done cooking and reheat it tomorrow. eat the chicken tonight.

123LuckyMom
09-03-2013, 04:51 PM
I agree that the defrosted chicken is fine! My rule is that you just don't count the time it was frozen, so if the chicken was cooked and frozen right away, if you just defrosted it, it's as if you just cooked it. Cooked chicken should keep just fine in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. You'll be absolutely fine to eat that chicken tomorrow or even Friday.