PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a "reminder" for keeping track of the kids in and out of the car?

TxCat
09-03-2013, 05:47 PM
So, this is one of those things that my postpartum brain has decided to fixate on. With two working parents who work unpredictable schedules at times, DD1 starting preschool, and a brand new DD with associated sleep deprivation in the parents, I feel like DH and I would benefit from an extra measure to help remind us to check for the kids when we're getting in and out of the car/getting ready to leave. Does anyone have a method or routine that they like? I usually put my purse in the back seat on the floor, but that doesn't work for DH. I was thinking about putting a colorful note in the center of the steering wheel or on the bottom rim of the rear view mirror. Any other ideas?

specialp
09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
DH will put his cell phone in the backseat pocket. We know others who put their work badge needed to scan to enter their building back there. Neither one of us has ever come close to forgetting, but we aren't too proud to say that would never happen to us.

Philly Mom
09-03-2013, 06:39 PM
DH will put his cell phone in the backseat pocket. We know others who put their work badge needed to scan to enter their building back there. Neither one of us has ever come close to forgetting, but we aren't too proud to say that would never happen to us.

This sounds really smart. We have mirrors in the back seat so I can always see DD when I drive and I do pick up/drop off so I am used to always having her with me. For DH, I like the ideas listed.

hillview
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
I used to put my purse back there.

swissair81
09-03-2013, 07:35 PM
I leave my baby carrier on the front seat, so I almost automatically grab it and go look for the baby who is usually with me. It's much more unusual that she isn't in the car. The rest of my kids are really noisy and it would be really hard to forget they are there.

vonfirmath
09-03-2013, 09:46 PM

I'm all ears. Luckily, nothing ever happened because we were never able to find a good precaution for DH. Already, if he takes the phone out of his pocket to use it and puts it back anywhere other than IN his pocket, a good portion of the time, he LEAVES THE PHONE in the car. So putting it in the back seat would not ensure he went back there to look for it :(

hellokitty
09-03-2013, 09:51 PM
I always check my backseats as I lock my door. It's not a great system, but I'm paranoid enough on a normal basis that it keeps me in check.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

rin
09-03-2013, 11:10 PM
What does your DH take into work with him? Lunch/briefcase/laptop/phone/wallet? I'd try to find whatever it is that he has to have with him when he starts work, and make its default place be the backseat/back seat pocket.

Alternately, if the baby travels with a diaper bag to/from daycare, the diaper bag could sit on the front seat as a reminder?

Another trick I heard of was to keep a stuffed animal in the carseat/carseat base, and then throw it in the front seat when the baby takes its place; then the stuffed animal can serve as the reminder, since it's only there when the baby's in the car.

Kestrel
09-05-2013, 07:28 PM
For the first two years, we kept a stuffed animal in the carseat, when it was empty. If the baby went in the seat, the animal went on the front seat.

tmahanes
09-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I have made a note that I have ready to print that is about the size of an index card that says something about don't forget me and then I got those stretchy arm band key chains and attach it to thanks card. we are going great to wrap the key chain around the strap when he is out of the seat and put it on the key chain when he is in the seat.

Our drop off schedule changes so much now and even though he is older he is not a morning person and he is usually really quiet. My work and his day care are in the same complex and last week I went straight to my parking lot first and then realized I hadn't turned to take him. I am petrified we are going to forget.

Let me know if you want me to attach a pic of what we are going to start using. I am going to do one for each seat and even teach him to remind everyone including the grandparents to use it. The if we have another baby they will be in the habit for that one too :-D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

KrisM
09-05-2013, 11:28 PM
I came across this today: http://www.backseatbabyalarm.com/Field-Test.html Looks like it would be useful in at least some situations. Not perfect, but would help. I don't know if it gives a false sense of security though.