PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to homeschool a preschooler?

ckso
09-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm currently a sahm and decided to keep my 2 yr old at home instead of going to preschool? We do play based learning as well as lots of reading, singing, learning the abc etc

Does that qualify as homeschooling for a preschooler?

I'm asking to see if I might be qualified for some programs that are available to homeschoolers. The website says its eligible for homeschool preschoolers too but not sure if that means I have to be licensed or something? But when I try to google it all the information is really for grade level homeschoolers

Melaine
09-03-2013, 08:28 PM
You don't need a license or anything to homeschool a 2 year old. Everyone is homeschooling at that age, IMO. States differ in their requirements for homeschoolers but none require anything before K5. My doesn't require anything until 1st grade. I think you will find that most homeschool groups cater to older children (K5 and up) because the general mindset is that younger children only need to be read to and played with, as you are doing.

wellyes
09-03-2013, 09:13 PM
To me homeschooling means choosing to avoid compulsory schooling in favor of teaching at home. There is no compulsory schooling for preschoolers, so, I don't really think homeschooling applies. But if there is a service for "homeschooled preschoolers" I'm guessing they are selling something with the non-daycare-enrolled kids in mind?

SnuggleBuggles
09-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Most 2yos aren't in a program, if they aren't in daycare. So you aren't really making a choice of brick and mortar school vs homeschooling at this point, IMO. At 3 or 4yo, yeah you might qualify as someone choosing to home school instead of sending dc to preschool.