PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Check your Chobani!

YouAreTheFocus
09-04-2013, 01:27 PM
DH had noticed that many of the Chobani cups at the grocery store had bulging tops. He picked ones that looked ok. This morning he noticed that several in our fridge are now bulging. Well, whaddya know, they are all part of a batch that went bad due to a dairy mold. Oh, and it affected the kids' tubes as well--they are blown up like balloons this morning. And both DH & DS have eaten these yogurts over the past week :barf:

So, check your Chobani! The bad lot has the code 16-012, expiration dates 9/11/2013 - 10/7/ 2013.

elliput
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM
News article about this- http://www.today.com/health/chobani-pulling-some-yogurt-over-quality-concerns-8C11073457

candaceb
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I was just coming to post this. I had noticed that DS's yogurt looked a little funny the other day but gave it to him anyway... We have 2 16 packs of kids' tubes and about 10 cups that are part of the bad batch.

sidmand
09-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I think I had one of those! I noticed what looked like bubbles on the cover but put it in my smoothie. It llooked odd so I tried a tiny bit. It tasted odd so I dumped it. I don't have the batch here though.

TwoBees
09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Ugh, fantastic. DD has been eating tons of the champions cups and tubes.

okinawama
09-04-2013, 02:00 PM
We too had some bulging issues with some of our yogurt cups, and after I opened one and tasted it, it was oddly fizzy. I immediately threw it (and other bulging ones) away, and later mentioned it to DH. He thought they tasted fizzy has well but and told me he had already eaten two of them. He hasn't had any ill effects, but I'm still glad my boys haven't eaten any.

KpbS
09-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Our strawberry tubes are fine but the blueberry ones are blown up like balloons! Gross-o. I tried calling this morning but had no luck.

blue
09-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for posting! I just found a new box of yogurt tubes with the effected lot # and date in our fridge.

maestramommy
09-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Whew! Just checked our tubes. Same lot but different expiration date!

kristenk
09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for posting this! Last week DD commented that some of the strawberry tubes tasted bad. She'd get one, try it, and then throw it away before trying another one. I thought she was going through some super-picky phase or had eaten something else that made the yogurt seem off. Guess not!

I have 3 boxes of Chobani tubes. They ALL have 16-012 on them and an expiration date that falls in the range. I bought them 2 different places. Surely they're not all affected? We have the box of randomly bad strawberry tubes, an opened box of strawberry banana that DD said tasted good and an unopened box of strawberry. Ugh.

MolieMuts
09-04-2013, 02:43 PM
We have the Chobani tubes in the dragon fruit flavor that are the same lot number and expiration dates. I put them directly in the freezer when I bought them, so I don't know if they would have bulged or not. Only DS2 eats them and he didn't mention them tasting weird. I will contact Chobani anyway and see what they say.

MSWR0319
09-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for mentioning the kids tubes! I didn't even think to check DS's because the clip I saw on TV this morning only mentioned the cups.

ETA: Both boxes of tubes we have (Blueberry and Dragonfruit) are affected. The blueberry ones are all blown up and the Dragonfruit ones are half blown up. The weird thing is the Blueberry ones have an expiration date of Sept 3, but are fully blown up. Worse than the others.

cntrymoon2
09-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you! I had a bunch of bad ones, in various stages of swelling, and three boxes of frozen tubes with the bad lot code. I tried calling the company number but it won't go through. I'd like to think they are just slammed with calls.

JanBaby
09-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Ah thank you so much for posting! I tossed a pack of cups a couple of weeks ago because they swelled and tasted terrible. I just checked the box of Strawberry Banana tubes and it has the 16-012 lot number with an October 1 expiration date. DS has eaten a couple of these but one tube seems to be swelling. I'm going to toss the box. Sigh - what a waste.

carolinacool
09-04-2013, 04:13 PM
We switch back and forth between Chibani and Oikos, depending on which one is on sale at our grocery store. Oikos won last week. That said, I'm fairly sure our grocery store would take them back. I would try that before tossing.

llama8
09-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Wow. We had some of those. We had Champions we bought in Target in NY and the kids ate the first 2 no problem, but in 2 days and many weeks before the expiration date, the tubs were swelling and the tops were so inflated. We tossed them. I am glad the kids didn't get sick from eating the first 2. Luckily I only bought a 4 pack.

Melaine
09-04-2013, 07:59 PM
OH MY GOSH! You guys, I just sent these in for class snack today! The kicker is that we have started dairy-free for the girls so my kids are the only ones that didn't get them. They sent a few leftovers home and they are in the recalled batch and they DO look bulgy!!!!! Are all the kids going to get sick?!

MSWR0319
09-04-2013, 08:19 PM
OH MY GOSH! You guys, I just sent these in for class snack today! The kicker is that we have started dairy-free for the girls so my kids are the only ones that didn't get them. They sent a few leftovers home and they are in the recalled batch and they DO look bulgy!!!!! Are all the kids going to get sick?!

Not necessarily. DS has been eating ours and hasn't complained about feeling sick.

sdjeppa
09-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Thank you for posting! I noticed yesterday that the Costco box of Chobani tubes were all swollen tight yesterday, even though the expiration is 10/5/13. Just emailed company now!

Melaine
09-04-2013, 09:14 PM
According to this article, folks have gotten sick and Chobani is removing negative comments and reports of illnesses from their facebook page. http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2013/09/chobani_pulls_yogurt_after_cus.html

I cannot believe I took these to school, I have never bought Chobani tubes before!!!

HonoluluMom
09-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks for this PSA. Checked and sure enough the Chobani yogurts (it's the cup with granola) were swollen, bubbling around the edges, and I dumped them without looking at the lot number.

KpbS
09-05-2013, 02:29 PM
It's officially a recall now (finally!) http://news.yahoo.com/chobani-recalls-moldy-yogurt-complaints-fda-probe-155750272--finance.html
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm367298.htm. You are supposed to toss the affected products and contact Chobani for "replacements" and "refunds."

MSWR0319
09-05-2013, 03:53 PM
It's officially a recall now (finally!) http://news.yahoo.com/chobani-recalls-moldy-yogurt-complaints-fda-probe-155750272--finance.html
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm367298.htm. You are supposed to toss the affected products and contact Chobani for "replacements" and "refunds."

I think they might want to expand the recall. The boxes we have expire Sept 3 and Oct 13 and both are HUGE today. Yesterday, just the Sept 3 tubes were swollen badly, while the others were about half swollen. Today it's both. I'm sending them pictures because I think their dates might need expanding to at least Oct 13.

MommyofAmaya
09-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Not necessarily. DS has been eating ours and hasn't complained about feeling sick.

My kiddos had some recalled Key Lime Pie Flips on Tuesday night with no ill effects.

crayonblue
09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a bunch of the tubes in the freezer that I recently bought. Tossed the big box. They all have the code on them but how do I know what the exp dates are? Can't quite figure that out.

waitingforgrace
09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
dumb question - we have chobani cups in the fridge that are not swollen and I don't see the code 16-012 anywhere. They are in the affected expiration dates, but I assume they are ok right? Nothing in the expiration date and lot number has anything with numbers and a dash, just numbers and letters.

KpbS
09-05-2013, 08:28 PM
I have a bunch of the tubes in the freezer that I recently bought. Tossed the big box. They all have the code on them but how do I know what the exp dates are? Can't quite figure that out.

Our dates were on the box along with the code.

TwoBees
09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Where on a box of tubes would the lot number be? I can't find it anywhere! Ugh, DD has eaten 3/4th of the box already.

KpbS
09-05-2013, 09:12 PM
There are 3 sides of labeling that is the same--Chobani Blueberry Strawberry Tubes etc. and it is printed on one of those sides near the bottom on the left side of the box.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2013, 09:31 PM
I have some but it actually expired in July! It, in fact, expired less than 3 days after I bought it at Costco. Guess I should have paid more attention to the dates before I purchased them! I wouldn't have noticed the date were it not for the recall. It's probably aparent from "keep or toss" threads that I'm a keeper and treat expirations with leeway; I keep if things seem ok. ;) So, while mine is ok recall wise, I tossed it.