PDA

View Full Version : Pre-School decision-HELP!!!

DualvansMommy
09-04-2013, 02:04 PM
My public elementary school is hosting an open house today (usually in the fall/jan annually) and I decided to go today, as figured i couldn't go in Jan when i'm hugely pregnant or dealing with a newborn. We can't seem to make up our minds, and while there's still time left to make a final decision. I wanted feedback from you all...

Right now my DS goes to Bright Horizons, at my DH's work site 2 days a week since his 2nd birthday and it's been going WONDERFULLY for him. I was told by his "teacher" this morning that after Xmas, they'll begin to transition DS into their pre-school classroom out of his current toddler room until fully intergrated by next Spring.

So, it gotten me thinking...next June, he'll be 3 and eligable to enroll at our pre-k classroom in my local elementary school. It'll be 5 days a week from 8:50am to noon which i think is a nice schedule, as right now he's on a 2 full day schedule at bright horiozns and didn't want to overwhelm him with too long of a day(s).

Basically we have a choice of keeping DS where he is until he's ready for kindy (our town only offers half a day!) but it's paid and is more of daycare based with a lot of play though, or send him to the public pre-k daily which is free and get him used to his new school district for 3 years by the time he starts 1st grade?? too much for him??

the other option DH put on the table is increase to 3 full days from 2 days at his private Bright Horizons center next fall and enroll him in public pre-K when he is 4?

My thinking is do either of the 2 options; keep him where he is for another year and half (until he's 4) and increase his days instead or enroll him at public k at 3 and have him home with me every afternoon after his morning at the classroom...

DH wants to enroll him at 3 years old in our local pre-k as it'll help him (and us) be fully integrated in our community, since bright horizons have kids from all 5-7 different towns around us.

sorry it's so long and rambling...but wanted your opinions...and another thought to consider, i'll have a newborn to care for by Jan and really want to balance my attention/care, etc to the newborn and DS. As i figured DS had me entirely all to himself for 2 years daily and still do! DH thinks it'll be easier if DS is out of the house every morning but still have time with me and his new sibling in the afternoon/evenings.

kristenk
09-04-2013, 03:13 PM
I think whatever you decide will be fine. For what it's worth, I don't think that your DS will need 3 years before 1st grade to get used to a new school. I'd just go with whatever would be easier for you. At younger ages, I like having more short days vs. a few long days, but choose whatever works for you! With the half-day programs at the public school, how will that work with naps for the newborn? Will it be easier on you (with a newborn) to have your DS out of the house for a few full days each week and then home for full days? Or would you like to just keep a consistent school schedule from now until 1st grade?

I really don't think you'll go wrong either way. It sounds like you have a couple of good places to choose from!

ETA: I don't know how much help I was!

janine
09-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Is his birthday on the cusp or are you deciding on his age to enter pre-K based on when you feel he'll be ready? Would you be increasing the day (daycare) for more exposure for him or is it by need (so you can have more time with newborn, etc). Is Pre-K an option meaning you are ok picking him up 1/2 day (ie convenience for you).

Another factor is quality of pre-K vs. the daycare, I'm guessing you are ok with that as you plan on him going to the school, just a question of now vs. then.

Off the top of my head I'd be inclined to keep him at the daycare until 4, 2 or 3 days is really subjective (cost, vs how bored he is at home, things like that).

Simon
09-04-2013, 05:01 PM
If you think the options are equal, in terms of quality, then I would pick the schedule that fits your family better. That said, I would choose to switch to the school dist and use the 1/2 day option because IME, the kids don't do much in the PM at day care even at the preschool level. Art, music, etc. were all in the morning and after lunch it was just nap and free play. Although free play is valuable, we can do it at home and I don't need to pay someone to watch my kids nap.

YouAreTheFocus
09-04-2013, 06:18 PM
I think I would opt for the public pre-K. I like the idea of being able to have a consistent routine/schedule everyday. I also think it would be nice to have the 1-on-1 time every morning with the younger child. And I do agree with your DH IRT to meeting more ppl from your neighborhood/community. If you move him to the public school, he would go to pre-k for 2 yrs, and then move onto K? Would he be in the same room at age 3 and age 4, or do they have different pre-K rooms?

DualvansMommy
09-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks all! I can't seem to find the multi quote feature with this from my iPad, so forgive me if I'm making this long!

Janine: no, DS isn't on the cusp. His birthday is June with our cut off date of Oct 1st, so it isn't that we're worried but more of a lifestyle choice for us.

Someone mentioned (see why I need the multi quote! :)) naps issue, which is a valid concern for me. However, DH works from home 2 days a week and his office is only 10 mins away from home. I feel it shouldn't be the deciding factor, IMO as I have fair bit of help from the in-laws who are bit elderly but can sit in my house to hang out with napping DC, while I run out to pick up DS.

Simone: You made a very good point how a lot of places tend to do focus activities in the mornings and naps with free play in the afternoons after lunch. His center right now runs exactly like that, which suits me for now since he does still nap. However, ill feel like its a bit of moot point to be paying someone to watch my kid nap, when I have a younger DC napping at home as well! So might as well take him out if I go by that logic.

However, its as you said...go with a place that fits our family schedule and needs as a whole. So that's what I need to think.

The other issue is I completely forgotten to ask whether the public preK expect the 3 years old to be potty trained. So ill have to call in and ask, since DS is not potty trained and I know its still a good year away but I'm nervous about PT. especially when I have a newborn and know the typical advice is not to start training when you have major changes in your household, so I'm feeling bit of pressure in terms of timing and getting "it done"!

Would you know or from experience that public preK do expect their 3 year olds to be potty trained? I have a feeling its yes as it would make sense for me, from the teacher's logistical point of view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AnnieW625
09-05-2013, 01:11 PM
...... keep him where he is for another year and half (until he's 4) and increase his days instead or enroll him at public k at 3 and have him home with me every afternoon after his morning at the classroom...

DH wants to enroll him at 3 years old in our local pre-k as it'll help him (and us) be fully integrated in our community, since bright horizons have kids from all 5-7 different towns around us. ...... .

I would keep him at his Bright Horizons Center until he is 4. I don't think he needs 5 days of half day pre k for two years in a row.

I don't think that enrolling him at 3 at the local pre k will help all that much be fully integrated in the community unless it is a really large school and you are both really introverted and have a hard time getting to know people. I think one year of half day pre k for a 4 yr. old is plenty.