PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out boys' shared bedroom...

jennilynn
09-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Right now, my boys share a bedroom and we have a playroom, which is slightly larger. Baby is in the master bedroom. Pretty soon, we'll be moving the boys to the playroom and giving the baby their old room. My parents have graciously offered to buy new furniture for the boys and will be making a trip to IKEA soon, so that's what we're looking at (or Craigslist or Target, with Red Card discount and free shipping, although I think IKEA furniture is better quality.) I'm hoping these beds will essentially last until they move out, and even beyond. So they need to be flexible to change as our needs do (eventually, we'll probably give DS1 his own room, since we do have a 4-bedroom house.)

Bunk beds are an option. However, there's a low ceiling fan that would have to be replaced (and it's nice!) and with DS2 being newly 3, and a soon-to-be crawling and climbing baby, that makes me a little nervous. My boys are total monkeys. They climb on and jump off the couch all the time. I guess we could get these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10161064/) and keep them separate until I was confident everyone could handle them.

My other thought was to get a Kura loft bed (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80253814/) and put DS2's mattress on the floor under it. We could leave the ceiling fan and it would be safer since it's lower. DS1 would get the top bunk, although I'm pretty sure they'll fight over it and DS2 will climb up there during the day. Not a forever solution, since they'd probably outgrow it in 5-10 years, but it could then be passed on to DD, so we'd get quite a bit of use out of it.

A third possibility is two Malm twin beds, arranged something like this (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/design-studio/rooms/shared-rooms-fd1-13-1.html). I absolutely adore everything about this room, but I'm not sure how to do it on an IKEA budget, plus I don't think the room is big enough to have two beds arranged like that (one wall has built in shelves plus enough space for a twin bed lengthwise, but only about a foot leftover.) And I can't figure out if these drawers (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60252721/) work with the twin? It doesn't have twin as an option, so I'm assuming not. And what could we use as the corner unit?

Since we won't have a playroom anymore, they need some space to play, although they mostly play in the living room. And the built in shelves will house most or all of the toys and books. So which of these would you choose? Are there any options I'm not thinking of? IKEA is three hours away, and they only go twice a year or so and will be renting a pickup, so I have to make a good decision! TIA!

bisous
09-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I like the KURA option. It will be safer for your 3yo (and baby) for one thing (says the lady who has a 2yo that can scale the bunk bed without a ladder!), is affordable and will allow you to have more floorspace. I'd go with the Kura bed, a rug (this kind of defines the play area), a well organized closet for the clothes and an expedit unit for attractive toy storage. It shouldn't cost too much to do that--especially at ikea and it could make a very bright and attractive space. I love talking about kid spaces so if you have any other questions, ask away and I'll try to answer. I just finished up decorating 2 separate boy rooms and it was really fun. :)

JBaxter
09-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I dont like the mattress on the floor idea. I like the 2nd option. The drawers would pull out but not at the same time.

alexsmommy
09-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Malm is a small footprint, it is the reason I got it for DSD when she wanted a full bed in her 11x11 room (DS1 has it now with a loft bed which works great for him). I'd use masking tape to outline exactly how the beds would fit if you used the PBK idea. I just don't see the Kura working as long as you are thinking. I don't know why the Malm underbed drawers wouldn't work based on the dimensions listed on the site... but again, use the tape to measure it all out. I wound up going with an option in DS3's room that I initially thought wouldn't work after I did the visual layout thing.

jennilynn
09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks, all. I measured and there's no way two Malm beds would fit like the photo. They'd overlap. So I'm leaning toward the Kura option or bunk beds unbunked for now.