PDA

View Full Version : Update: Grey speck on gum? GONE

Melaine
09-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Is this a cavity? I just noticed what appears to be a grey/black speck on DS's tooth...but it's below the gum line so not sure if it is actually on his tooth or not. Can't get it off with a toothbrush although I will try again when I have DH for backup. I guess this must be a cavity...what else could it be?

ETA: GONE! I think it was a splinter or piece of food. It shifted after a couple days. I saw it was there this morning and this afternoon it is gone. Happy dance. thanks for talking me down.

Melaine
09-04-2013, 04:02 PM
I feel terrible if he has a cavity at 16 months.

MommyofAmaya
09-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Fingers crossed that it is not tooth decay. If it does end up being a cavity, please try to locate a source of emotional support. It is an issue that can easily cause a mother to blame herself. When DS was diagnosed with ECC at 18mo, it ravaged my emotional well-being for a long time. The alternative kids teeth yahoo groups were a good source of info and quiet support in that you see that many others are experiencing similar issues. PM me if you end up needing those resources. Hoping you won't!

MamaMolly
09-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Lula has bad teeth for a variety of reasons, and MommyofAmaya is right, it is very easy to blame yourself, even if it isn't really something preventable. I hope it turns out to be nothing!

Melaine
09-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys. It looks like it is on the gum, not the tooth so I don't know what that means. I guess we have to take him in. UGH.

Melaine
09-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Oh my gosh....why did I google? Apparently this is how oral cancer starts! Can anyone offer me a sanity check???

Melaine
09-04-2013, 08:14 PM
So DH says we should just keep an eye on this to see if it goes away. I want to rush to the dentist but from what I am reading it sounds like they might even send us to an oral surgeon for potential biopsy. WWYD?

I swear, I hate Google. Everything is cancer. Everything.

MSWR0319
09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
So DH says we should just keep an eye on this to see if it goes away. I want to rush to the dentist but from what I am reading it sounds like they might even send us to an oral surgeon for potential biopsy. WWYD?

I swear, I hate Google. Everything is cancer. Everything.

Is it flat or raised? I had a greyish colored bump on my gum a few weeks ago and I think it was some type of canker sore or something. It popped or healed or something one night and then was gone.

Melaine
09-04-2013, 08:22 PM
It's flat. It looks like a speck of food but it's not, it won't come off. Of course, the child does fall a dozen times a day so I guess it could be some kind of tiny bruise or something. It's also not easy to check it since he doesn't love my hands in his mouth.

flashy09
09-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I always hate commenting on posts because as a bumbling mother of one toddler I don't have any experience, but my first thought was a scrape or injury from cracker or something he put in his mouth. If it were in my mouth, I would wait a couple of days and see if it changes - gums heal fast - and then decide. Two or three days won't matter even if it something serious and it will prevent an unnecessary visit where he gets poked and prodded in his mouth.

Melaine
09-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I always hate commenting on posts because as a bumbling mother of one toddler I don't have any experience, but my first thought was a scrape or injury from cracker or something he put in his mouth. If it were in my mouth, I would wait a couple of days and see if it changes - gums heal fast - and then decide. Two or three days won't matter even if it something serious and it will prevent an unnecessary visit where he gets poked and prodded in his mouth.

Hey we definitely appreciate your posts, regardless of your kid's age. And in this case, you are so right and I appreciate the common sense. An injury really seems most likely at this point I just hate feeling so anxious.

Reality for me is, if its not one thing its another when it comes to anxiety. :-(

flashy09
09-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Hey we definitely appreciate your posts, regardless of your kid's age. And in this case, you are so right and I appreciate the common sense. An injury really seems most likely at this point I just hate feeling so anxious.

Reality for me is, if its not one thing its another when it comes to anxiety. :-(

I am always anxious as well and a terrible Googler! Was there any change today? Hope it gets better!

Melaine
09-07-2013, 06:37 AM
I am always anxious as well and a terrible Googler! Was there any change today? Hope it gets better!

Thanks for asking! It is kind of odd...it has shifted a teensy bit (both DH and I agree it has moved) up so that I wouldn't say it is on the gum anymore but on the gumline. Still on the gum but it is like right there on the tooth. We think it is either a splinter (ouch) or a piece of something that worked it's way under the gum? The fact that it shifted makes me feel somewhat better. I may try the girls' sonicare on it to see if I can work it out. It doesn't seem to be bothering him though. He is such a wiggle worm it is hard to get at it.

cckwmh
09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Dd had a discolored grayish spot at first then swelled so I went to the dentist. That is how I found out something was stuck there. She was older (4ish) at the time and they had us do saltwater gargles 4x day for 3 days. If it didn't work itself out then they would remove it. It was improving in appearance in 24 hours and gone in 2 days. I don't think this is feasible in a 16 month old unless your child is much more cooperative than my DD was at that age.

Hope this provides a little bit of reassurance.

Melaine
09-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Dd had a discolored grayish spot at first then swelled so I went to the dentist. That is how I found out something was stuck there. She was older (4ish) at the time and they had us do saltwater gargles 4x day for 3 days. If it didn't work itself out then they would remove it. It was improving in appearance in 24 hours and gone in 2 days. I don't think this is feasible in a 16 month old unless your child is much more cooperative than my DD was at that age.

Hope this provides a little bit of reassurance.

Thanks so much. that sounds exactly what this looks like although no swelling. I tried the sonicare toothbrush and no change. I don't think gargling is an option! I'll keep watching it and take him in if I don't see a change.

Melaine
09-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Bump for update