PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Know? 2013 Edition.

Fairy
09-04-2013, 03:47 PM
I've done this poll twice before, but it's been four years since the last one, and I thought I'd do it again, cuz it's fun! Do you know a celebrity or anyone famous? Local, national, sports, politics, Hollywood? Maybe you're the famous person. I've learned through the last couple polls and a several LA friends that if you're living there you, by default, know must know SOMEONE by a few degrees. I only do private polls, so tell us, who do you know?

Ok, go.

Fairy
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I have met almost every single Star Trek universe actor (not the reboot).
I've worked with most of them at comicon-like Star Trek conventions
George Takei and his husband, Brad, knew me for a while, but it's been years, and I'd imagine they'd struggle to place me now. They're wonderful, BTW.
I've met a ton of soap opera actors, and I got to act in an Internet TV show with some of them.
Two actors from Days of our Lives know who I am, one more than the other, and we're friendly, but we are not friends.

lizzywednesday
09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
I've baby sat for the grandsons of actor Abe Vigoda, but I never met him. (His daughter, Carol, lived in my hometown and ran arts & crafts for the summer beach club camp-like activities I participated in as a child.)

Beyond that, I've just had brushes with famous people, most recently the gentleman who is currently the keyboardist for the Rolling Stones. (DH and I met him before their Philly show while waiting for the elevator up to the club-suite level at Wells Fargo Center. He was very pleasant and self-effacing for the 15 or so seconds we spoke.)

Fairy
09-04-2013, 04:12 PM
There are two "other" votes ... please explain? Maybe? Possibly? Allegedly? Mainly cuz I'm like, what area did I miss?!

pb&j
09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I live in a small city about as far away from LA as you can get, but know many celebrities and DH and/or I are friends with some as well. And also some celebrity offspring. DH's work brings him in contact with celebs very regularly. Music, sports, authors, politics, and some Hollywood connections as well.

YouAreTheFocus
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM
There are two "other" votes ... please explain? Maybe? Possibly? Allegedly? Mainly cuz I'm like, what area did I miss?!

I haven't voted yet, but I was mulling over what to choose for a relative--other or personal friend.

lizzywednesday
09-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Mine! I've met Abe Vigoda's daughter (Carol) and was fairly well acquainted with his grandsons (the eldest is only a year or two younger than me) but I never met him. He used to visit his grandsons' school for events every now & again, but we didn't attend the same schools (parochial vs. public) growing up.

citymama
09-04-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm waiting for someone to select "I am a famous person and I've read about myself on BBB." Oh please, do tell!

Pennylane
09-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I dated someone who is considered very famous in his sport on and off for a summer . I'm way too embarrassed to admit who it was. I also was friends with Jason Kendall, who played baseball for Pittsburgh for years. I met him through a boyfriend and we are still FB friends.

Ann

lizzywednesday
09-04-2013, 04:42 PM
D'oh! I also answered wrong.

Totally aside from the Abe Vigoda thing, Austin Scarlett, who was a finalist on the 1st season of Project Runway, is a friend. Not close, but still a friend.

elektra
09-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Well Fairy, you know about my latest famous person story! I got to be friendly with someone who seemed really familiar at a weekend long resort thing. He was introduced as the DH of someone I used to work with. And so when I asked him if he worked with us too because he looked so familiar, he said that no, he was actually an actor. Convo went on and then it dawned on me- it was Simon from Firefly! His real name is Sean. I talked to him forever before I even realized. His kids are my kids' ages and we planned for them to play at the pool together the next day. It also turned out that he has a connection with another BBB'er even. And I only watched Firefly because it was always recommended here on the BBB. It's a small world I tell ya. Oh and I met Dooce earlier this summer. We were on a camp out thing together. Another "would never have known who you were if it wasn't for the BBB."

I've seen tons of famous people though. Or just been at parties with them or ridden in elevators and such. Nature of living in LA, and working in media probably. Not really good friends or anything though. Well I guess I am friends with some famous or used-to-be-famous athletes. I suppose that counts!

elliput
09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm waiting for someone to select "I am a famous person and I've read about myself on BBB." Oh please, do tell!

I was tempted to vote that way, just 'cause. :p

elektra
09-04-2013, 05:03 PM
D'oh! I also answered wrong.

Totally aside from the Abe Vigoda thing, Austin Scarlett, who was a finalist on the 1st season of Project Runway, is a friend. Not close, but still a friend.

OMG, he was such a character!
I saw Dmitri from a few seasons ago, in a restaurant in NYC last year. Nobody with me had a clue as to who he was. I think I watch too much TV. :)

elektra
09-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I've met a ton of soap opera actors, and I got to act in an Internet TV show with some of them.

That's pretty awesome Fairy - actually being in the show with some of the stars!

Fairy
09-04-2013, 05:06 PM

a few years ago we were diwcussing AshleySimpson's son's name choice, and someone, i forget who, was defending it in a way tha5 made me go, hmm. i even joked something like, sorry, Ashley. but it got me thinking ... celebs have babies too. Plenty of them have the same questions we do and same needs to comiserate and find a herd to be with like this. we talk about these folks like they'll never see what we write, and normally they won't. but a parenting website? alan and denise's books are popular, and they've surely made connections. so it just made me think, and i figure a good number of celeb moms have checked in here, googled something that brought up one of our threads. SomethIng. so i put it out there.

sorry for bad grammar via phone.

sntm
09-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Let's see - I've met a number of famous people through my mother (who worked in radio advertising) and my father (who worked in sports journalism), am related to two well-known sports figures, and have met two celeb actors through work. I've dated a moderately famous comedian and a mystery novelist who is reasonably well known.

Twoboos
09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I met Alec Baldwin in college, but clearly he wouldn't know me. (His loss. ;))

A friend is married to a moderately famous (now retired) sports player.

I feel like I am missing someone - or maybe that's just in my fantasy world, LOL!

Fairy, if you've met Bo or Hope I would probably fall over. I was basically raised with them!

Fairy
09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I met Alec Baldwin in college, but clearly he wouldn't know me. (His loss. ;))

A friend is married to a moderately famous (now retired) sports player.

I feel like I am missing someone - or maybe that's just in my fantasy world, LOL!

Fairy, if you've met Bo or Hope I would probably fall over. I was basically raised with them!

never met Pete, but he's very crunchy and a fery nice guy to all accounts. Kristian is wonderful, met her a few times now, but she wouldnt remember me, that setting was not a working one, just as a fan. i freaking love her jewelry, own several pieces. shes easy to meet! does alot of trunk shows. she's not one that would know my face :-(. but she's awesome.

AnnieW625
09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
As a child I knew the actor who originally played Chuck Taylor on All My Children, and a few years later he was the Lt./Capt. Bojay on the original Battlestar Gallactica from the mid 1970s. He and his wife had USC football season tickets right next to my grandparents.

I know a current California State Assemblyman from the Santa Clarita Valley. He played football at UC Davis and became friends with my neighbors who would always go out on the field and congratulate and talk to players on the field. They became friends with the parents as well and were a family away from home for the said football player.

I met a former NY Jets quarterback from the 1980s through the same family mentioned above when I was a little kid and he played at UC Davis. I later met him again in college when we was working in the sports department for a Sacramento TV station.

I met one of the Maloof Brothers, who used to own the Sacramento Kings.

I worked with a former host of a nationally televised ESPN show, and was a fill in host for random hours of Sports Center. She got herself in a bit of hot water a few times with her comments, but always came back on top. I think she is working in radio now. She actually wasn't all that nice and it was working with her (she was the lone female sports caster for much of California in network TV back then) so she knew that she was on top of the world. Her attitude actually kind of dissuaded me from working in television all together.

Leon Panetta was at my work in Sacramento a number of times. I never had to interact with him though. For a time though I worked pretty closely with a fair amount of California politicians who were on armed forces related committees for a few months at a prior state agency.

I met and have a photo with George Stephanopholus. This was for a re-election campaign for the congressman I interned for in 1996. I took a phone message from Al Gore's office for that same congressman I worked for.

I stood less then 100 feet away from Bill Clinton at a campaign speech in 1996.

I had my photo taken with NFL Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk when he was inducted into the San Diego State Athletic Hall of Fame. Unfortunately the photo didn't turn out, but I took one of him that did. This was in 1998.

I didn't know him personally, but Boston Red Sox 3rd baseman Dustin Pedroia is from my home town. I went to high school with his cousin. I am 5 or 6 yrs. older. He actually pretty famously dissed my home town (http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2009/03/dustin-pedroia/) and people in my home town got really mad about it, but honestly every person from the age of 14-35 thinks that until you have a family and realize it is an okay place to raise a family.

I knew an Olympic shot putter from the last two summer olympics. She placed 12th in 2008 and 16th in 2012. She was a classmate of Dustin Pedroia's.

No real celebrities though.

I have met two current golfers on the PGA tour, one is not a well known name (the husband of a fellow Jr. League member), and the other is a pretty well known name (if you know the mens PGA tour) although he has never won a major tournement and usually places in the top 10 at many tournements. His dad used to work with my dad so I met him when he was in high school. He wouldn't remember me though.

More six degrees types:
John DeLancie's kids went to elementary school with my cousins and my uncle served on the PTA with him.
Mesach Taylor (the assistant or assistant designer on Designing Women) was the emcee of an event that honored my aunt and uncle for two of my cousins high school.
My grandma went to college with Frank Gifford and was friendly with his first wife.
An aunt in my family (my paternal uncle's wife) is a second cousin to a former still living governor of California
Beach volleyball player Misty May Treanor grew up in my general area and still lives there. People report seeing her at the local Target where most of the LBC shops, but I have never seen her.
I have friends who went to high school with Snoop Dogg or his wife and knew them pretty well.
A co worker of mine knew Cameron Diaz right when she was getting into modeling and acting. Her and Snoop Dogg went to the same high school at the same time, although she home schooled for a few years in high school.

eta: Kristain Alfonso has a jewelry line? Do share.

MommyofAmaya
09-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I've met three members of Depeche Mode (minus Dave Gahan) backstage at a show. I played foosball with Martin Gore.
I briefly met George Clinton at a festival in the early 90s.

I voted "friends with a celebrity" b/c I personally know the singer of a rock en espanol band that is pretty big here in Texas and has a national following b/c of their connection to Selena. I dated his (equally handsome) twin brother in high school.

lalasmama
09-04-2013, 06:27 PM
I saw the Modern Family taping at Disneyland. Does that count? The kids from the show were in the log in front of us on Splash Mountain.

My high school "sweetheart" (very innocent) is now a fairly well-known photographer.

bisous
09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I see people ALL the time. I live near LA and there are many celebrities in my neighborhood. I know sports starts, movie stars and music stars. DH grew up closer to LA and knows even more people. A handful of these famous people know me and my name. None are my bosom friends. :)

codex57
09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm known as the brother or son of XXXX to a whole bunch of famous figure skaters. My dad and the dad of that famous skater were the only males for a while who hung out to watch their daughters at a famous training place in SoCal. They got to talking, have a lot in common, etc. Now, my dad has clients who are retired famous skaters.

Other than that, I guess my uncle is famous. In the business world anyways. Which in turn leads to being fairly famous in politics, who are often connected to big charities, who are often connected to academia, etc.

Tenasparkl
09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
I see people ALL the time. I live near LA and there are many celebrities in my neighborhood. I know sports starts, movie stars and music stars. DH grew up closer to LA and knows even more people. A handful of these famous people know me and my name. None are my bosom friends. :)

Yeah, you just can't really avoid it here. Famous people at preschool: check, famous people at a friend's BBQ: check, working with famous people: check.

I mostly know lots of comedians because pre-kids we used to see lots of comedy shows and hang out in the alternative comedy scene. So many people have become pretty successful and famous since then. I'm amazed & proud of them all. I work on TV shows, so of course I interact with people through work too.

My old neighbor that I saw over the weekend is on a long running TV show. My DD has a buddy from pre-school who's mom was the celebrity that I saw pictures of all the time when I was pregnant. I thought it was hilarious when they ended up in school together because I felt like I knew her from being pregnant at the same time : )

My husband has a podcast that gets pretty great guests. The one that I was most excited to meet was Jon Hamm :)

ilfaith
09-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I used to take an abs class at New York Sports Club with George Stephanopoulos. I even caught a glimpse of his tighty-whities on more than one occasion as he was doing crunches on a mat on the floor.

I exchanged embarrassing condom-buying stories with Mariette Hartley (an actress best known for her Polaroid commercials with James Garner) who is a friend of a friend.

I served on a jury with an actor from Guiding Light.

I know a few people who work for our local (Jacksonville, FL) news station...although they are "famous" in a very small orbit.

I've met a few other celebs, at parties, riding in elevators. I once had a conversation with Don Knotts waiting for luggage at JFK airport. In NYC I had many celebrity sightings (not so many in northeast Florida)...Michael J. Fox, Paul Newman with Joanne Woodward, Kevin Bacon with Kira Sedgewick, and Joan Rivers (on many occasions...as my office was evidently near her apartment). I also saw Jerry Stiller (with and without Anne Meara) somewhat regularly, as they lived in my neighborhood. They even used my dry-cleaner. Once, when I was picking up my laundry, Jerry Stiller was standing in front of me. I looked at his autographed picture on the wall, then back at him, then at the photo again and remarked that it was a very old photo. I don't think he was amused.

cckwmh
09-04-2013, 07:28 PM
My Dad grew up with a man who is now a US Senator and they are still friendly. I have met him on numerous occasions and was surprised he knew my name last year when i took my daugther to his house trick or treating. I have quite a few patients that are actors and play professional sports, so they all know my name and who i am.

vludmilla
09-04-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm friends with a semi famous female singer. The local news anchor lives down the street. A current Yankee team member used to live on the next street over from me. There are several famous people who live in the next town over from me but since it is within walking distance, I see them around (running, walking a dog) sometimes. I've met a decent number of celebrities but they wouldn't know me.

mom2binsd
09-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I dated a guy for 8 years and his brother is one of the best hockey players ever, now he's a GM, was at his wedding, saw him on holidays, etc and he married a girl from across the street.

My mom was an executive assistant to Joe Clark, who was briefly Canada's Prime Minister, when he was Leader of the Opposition I spent many a day at his official residence playing when mom had to work there after hours.

Gracemom
09-04-2013, 07:56 PM
My mom was friends with the host of Romper Room. Does that count?

Momit
09-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I dated a guy for 8 years and his brother is one of the best hockey players ever, now he's a GM, was at his wedding, saw him on holidays, etc and he married a girl from across the street.

Ooh, I think I know who you're talking about and I'm jealous!

Corie
09-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I do not know anyone remotely famous.

westwoodmom04
09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
A high school friend is a well known movie actor who had been famous for the past 20 years and another high school acquaintance is a very well known producer of tv shows and movies. I know him as the nerdy best friend of the older brother of a good friend, always creeping around with a video camera. Dh has several friend from college who have famous parents and one college friend who is famous in her own right and has been discussed on these boards

Green_Tea
09-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I have met many famous people and local celebrities. I went to college and have acted on stage with someone who has hit it (pretty) big, and also knew someone who I think most people would consider EXTREMELY famous (famous enough to host the Oscars!) when I was in college. But I'm not really friends with anyone famous. At least at the moment ;).

ETA: I am friends with a fairly famous author - famous enough to be mentioned here on the BBB, and to be a Target Book Club pick!

AnnieW625
09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Thought of another six degrees one. My brother's fiancée is cousins with a female star of a drama on the CW network. If I ever meet her she will be the most famous person I know.

KLD313
09-04-2013, 09:21 PM
My father was aquantences with a national weatherman. After my fathers death I tracked him down to talk about weather on the day of my dads death. It was a weather related accident. He wrote me a lovely email and told me he was at my dads funeral. So, I voted not friends with but would know my name.

I've seen a lot of stars but never met anyone beyond a hello.

Mamabear4
09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I am not great friends with any famous people, but there are several who know my name and they definitely know my DH - most are in the music industry. We've also been lucky to attend a lot of industry events due to DH's client. I also went to school with someone who is currently on the PGA tour, a couple people in the NBA and one or two that initally went to the NFL. My school was only about 6000 people, but only the golfer was in the same circles as me.

smilequeen
09-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Just local sports people for me. Our rink is where most of the pros have their kids play, so my boys play with a lot of their kids. Some more famous than others. We had a HOF hockey player's kids at school, a pro baseball player, and a couple of NFL players. Albert Pujols still lives about 5 minutes from me, so we see him around a lot. David Freese went to the local public HS and crashed his car down the street from my house last Thanksgiving. I dated a nobody NHL player way back when, but it's come back to haunt me a little...That's about it.

sweetsue98
09-04-2013, 09:47 PM
My DH played college basketball with the head coach of a professional basketball team. That's as close as I get to someone famous.

TwinFoxes
09-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm friends with famous people, although they are not part of the celebrity culture (not performers or athletes). I've met more celebrities than I could name. I'll give you a few: Ben Affleck, Salma Hyack (sp?), Dustin Hoffman, Julie Andrews, Julia Child, Aaron Sorkin. Ben Affleck is tall, pretty much all other male celebrities are shorter than I expected. Also many different senators, a Supreme Court justice, and a few governors. I used to lead a MUCH more exciting life!

larig
09-04-2013, 09:52 PM
My mom was friends with the host of Romper Room. Does that count?

In my world, absolutely! (I'll bet a lot of people on the board don't even remember Romper Room!)

ETA: I was in a room with Sandra Bullock after Speed. It was a Thanksgiving night and we were out seeing a band in my small midwestern hometown. She graciously demonstrated how she drove the bus.

When in college I was on a first-name-basis with a guy who became a pretty famous NBA star.

Some of my parents' best friends drove then-Senate-candidate, Barack Obama, around IL in their RV to campaign.

I was invited by a guy who was sweet on me to have chili with Willie Nelson once, but I turned down the offer so as to not send the wrong message to the guy.

So, yeah, I got nothing.

TwinFoxes
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
In my world, absolutely! (I'll bet a lot of people on the board don't even remember Romper Room!)

"I see LariG and Fairy and Twinfoxes..." That's all I remember from that show, waiting on my name. :) Romper Room host definite celebrity!

Green_Tea
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Oh! And I have met Bill Clinton and have had my picture taken with him. He is very tall :). And I have also worked with Keith Lockhart of the Boston Pops - a big Boston celeb! I am also IRL friends with someone who was on a famous MTV show.

maestramommy
09-04-2013, 10:05 PM
A couple of weeks ago I met Dean Kamen at our local science museum. His company First, is filming a documentary on him, and he wanted to film a segment on the moonbounce because he invented it. I was just sitting there when he asked me if he could film my kids using it. I had no idea it was him (never seen a pic), thought he was just one of the crew, but then he started talking about the device in such technical terms I was puzzled. But when he introduced himself to DD2 (What's your name? I'm Dean) I was like, holy moly is that Dean Kamen! I asked one of his crew just to be sure. Then I started taking pics and texting Dh like crazy, lol. Actually I think Dh was more excited than I was. He was the nicest guy, just a regular joe. Dean Kamen lives in my town, and his property is actually labelled on google maps. I found out because I was mapping one of my longer running routes and it goes right by his house, lol.

I've also met Whoopie Goldberg, Marie Osmond, and former Taiwanese President Chen Shui Bian.

MamaMolly
09-04-2013, 10:14 PM

:yeahthat: As soon as I saw it I thought 'good one, Fairy!'

ArizonaGirl
09-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I do not know anyone remotely famous.

:yeahthat:

AngelaS
09-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I said no one and in this circle, this probably is a no one.... But, we used to go to church with the head of the RNC.

DualvansMommy
09-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm on a first name basis with a former secretary of labor....and my best friend's uncle is a former supreme justice, so just met him that one time.

i was at a friend's wedding who was very good friends with clinton kelly who attended the wedding as well. That was cool, as used to watch his show often back in the day!

Fairy
09-04-2013, 10:49 PM
"I see LariG and Fairy and Twinfoxes..." That's all I remember from that show, waiting on my name. :) Romper Room host definite celebrity!

THAT'S HUGE! I loved Romper Room, and I'm STILL waiting on my name. NO one had my name back then, and I guarantee you, she never said my name :-(. But TwinFoxes did, yay!

mom2binsd
09-04-2013, 10:51 PM
I used to get so angry, she'd never say my name!!!! I'd rush home from school to catch the last few minutes (we went home for an hour for lunch when I went to elementary school), when she'd pick up the mirror, I"d hope that I'd hear my name!

mom2binsd
09-04-2013, 10:54 PM
I got to hang out with Scott Hamilton during the 1984 World Skating Championships, I was a "runner" as I was part of local skating club and was assigned to his group, he was funny, and very friendly (even gave me all the flowers after he won on the final night).

KpbS
09-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I went to school with a very famous NBA player, a spokesperson if you will and yes, he is a really nice guy. DH also went to school with a NBA player (now retired).

anonomom
09-04-2013, 10:58 PM
NM, I was mistaken.

Mopey
09-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Being a native NYCer I've had lots of run-ins and interludes (helping zip SJP in the Bergdorfs dressing room anyone?!!!!!! She is teeniest person I have ever been next to.) - Bill Clinton is sexy as well as very tall, as is Dennis Quaid! A lovely old school friend who is not from LA moved there for work and fell madly in love with a very, very, very famous girl and now they are married and have a baby :)

But the best was the night I spent with Jimmy Fallon & friends at my local pub (he was still on SNL). There was even a seriously hysterical, very competitive duet (of who really knew all the words) to Steve Miller Bands' "Jungle Love." Picture us using our beers for mics. Great nights can happen when you question the grammar on a person's jacket (not Jimmy's and had no idea the guy was his friend - that's how grammar-crazy I am). FUN. :jammin:

Mopey
09-04-2013, 11:18 PM
double post

larig
09-04-2013, 11:23 PM
THAT'S HUGE! I loved Romper Room, and I'm STILL waiting on my name. NO one had my name back then, and I guarantee you, she never said my name :-(. But TwinFoxes did, yay!

Waiting on my name too.

elliput
09-04-2013, 11:29 PM
I have known the actor who portrays the husband in this Stanley Steemer commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWviL_8ShZc) since 1st grade. He was also in the traveling cast of Rock of Ages and perform the same roll on Broadway a few times.

jbbhb
09-04-2013, 11:41 PM
But the best was the night I spent with Jimmy Fallon & friends at my local pub (he was still on SNL). There was even a seriously hysterical, very competitive duet (of who really knew all the words) to Steve Miller Bands' "Jungle Love." Picture us using our beers for mics. Great nights can happen when you question the grammar on a person's jacket (not Jimmy's and had no idea the guy was his friend - that's how grammar-crazy I am). FUN. :jammin:

I am SO jealous!!!

niccig
09-05-2013, 12:49 AM
DH has met people through his work. There were a few actor parents at DS's old school that know me by name. Like the others, living in LA, you can see people at the grocery store, but you're supposed to act all cool and pretend you didn't notice them.

crayonblue
09-05-2013, 12:50 AM
I've got a few:

Jodi Picoult- sent me a lovely email about Carmen.

My cousin is a very successful song writer in Nashville. Co-wrote Rascal Flatts' I'm Movin' On which won Song of the Year. Has written numerous hits for other artists.

My mom's cousin was a billionaire in Texas, actually the third richest Texan. He got beat by Michael Dell and Alice Walton. At the time of his death a couple of years ago, he was worth $9 billion.

I met Mandisa, of American Idol fame. I also sat near another AI contestant on a plane but I can't remember his name. RJ? He was on the first season. DH sat next to his manager.

Living in SoCal I occasionally see people who look very familiar...like at Legoland and the zoo, etc. I thought I saw Jennie Garth the other day. I did a double-take but then wasn't sure.

MontrealMum
09-05-2013, 01:01 AM
I remember Romper Room :) I don't think I ever heard my name either :(

I've shared a few of these here before...I am wracking my brain to add some new ones.
-I went to h/s with Gillian Anderson. She's older than I am, but we had drama class together. We're not friends or anything though...just someone I knew way back when.
-My optometrist was former President Ford's brother, and when the brother retired, his nephew.
-I am distantly related to a well-known former hockey goalie, but I've never actually met him
-I got to shake former President Clinton's hand when one of the debates was held at my university in '92. He was also an APO member and we talked about that.
-The screenplays to the American Pie movies are written by the son of my mom's doctor. Never met him (though friends of mine knew him in school), but the movies are set (not filmed) in my hometown, which is kind of fun. They so did not get Yesterdog or the Lake right but I'm guessing that's Hollywood, not the writers.
-I came across Anthony Kiedis in the lingerie section of Hudson's (now Macy's) one Christmas break. He was shopping with his mom :) He's from my hometown, and actually, my neighborhood, but is much older than I am so I didn't know him growing up.
-Debarge are also from my hometown and neighborhood. I didn't know them either, but apparently my science teacher was punched out by one of the brothers.
-as far as music for me, I have met a lot of Canadian opera singers and I'm friend with a few.
-I am related by marriage to the composer of Hair. And here we get into the IL connections...they've rubbed shoulders with many more famous people than I have. FIL and former PM Mulroney were partners in the same law firm, and MIL had class (in Uni) with William Shatner and knew Christopher Plummer as a child.

Apparently famous people are prowling the streets of Montreal all the time because of our status as Hollywood North. I have several friends involved in the film industry behind the scenes and they do tell me what they're working on, and with whom...yet I never run into anyone! I think I must be so focused on getting where I'm going that I am passing all sorts of people w/o noticing!!!

twotimesblue
09-05-2013, 01:45 AM
I work in the entertainment industry and have met many of the household-name stars. Mariah Carey bought me a (lovely) wedding gift! :)

blisstwins
09-05-2013, 02:11 AM
All the Abe Vigoda mentions are cracking me up. He lives near me and a few years ago I recognized him on the bus--but it was weird because I thought he was a family friend and it took me a minute to realize I only knew him because he is famous. So I talked to him because of this error. My kids were with me and he was friendly to them. After that it seemed like I saw him almost every day for months and we always said hi or chatted lightly.... I have not seen him in a while though.

I have met many celebrities:
Billy Joel
Wayne Gretsky
Bette Midler
Christie Brinkley
David Bowie
Brooke Shields

I also know (as in not friends but they would know me) a few Olympians.

klwa
09-05-2013, 06:55 AM
I've met a few now famous people back before they were famous. DH was a student manager for our college football team & still helps out on game days, so I met quite a few of the football players. Some made it big.

kep
09-05-2013, 07:10 AM
My MIL's cousin is married to a well known Hollywood director, and his father was a very well know director as well. The cousin's DH no longer directs as much, but they frequently travel in their RV back down to LA for the big awards shows and Directors Guild events. They frequently rub elbows with all kinds of A-list actors, including Julia Roberts and George Cloony. Jealous! Um, can I come along with you guys, please...? :). But they are the most down to earth, kindest people you would ever meet. They drove 8+ hours specifically to see my family for a few days when we were visiting my IL's on the west coast.

pinkmomagain
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I spot celebrities in the Hamptons weekly. And have seen many in NYC over the years. A few I have spoken to but I have no famous friends.

kdeunc
09-05-2013, 08:32 AM
I dated someone who is considered very famous in his sport on and off for a summer . I'm way too embarrassed to admit who it was. I also was friends with Jason Kendall, who played baseball for Pittsburgh for years. I met him through a boyfriend and we are still FB friends.

Ann

I worked in the front office of one of the minor league affiliates for the Pirates when Jason Kendall played there. I think he was about 21 at the time.

I don't "know" anyone famous but have met several famous people, mostly connected to professional baseball. I did sit on the stage at the Grand Old Opry and meet Vince Gill and Steve Wariner.

lizzywednesday
09-05-2013, 08:46 AM
OMG, he was such a character!
I saw Dmitri from a few seasons ago, in a restaurant in NYC last year. Nobody with me had a clue as to who he was. I think I watch too much TV. :)

I didn't follow after the first season, but I have scrapbook-ish press clippings of anything I hear Austin has done.

And I know that a lot of "reality" TV is done for the cameras but ... Austin is really like what everyone saw on TV. He is both responsible for my knowing who Jean Paul Gaultier is and for teaching me how to apply eyeliner.

I owe him so, so, so much!

mommylamb
09-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Lots of politicians and talking heads. I'm actually at an event this week where I will be with a number if very senior politicians.

lizzywednesday
09-05-2013, 09:01 AM
I said no one and in this circle, this probably is a no one.... But, we used to go to church with the head of the RNC.

Nope. Politicians count regardless of spectrum "flavor." And being the head of a party or party organization is definitely someone, IMO.

They make it into the news for all kinds of things, many of them good.

queenmama
09-05-2013, 09:07 AM
They never said my name on Romper Room either!

Super jelly about the Fallon story!

I had a brief teenage romance with an actor who is probably better known for his family than his acting skills.

I went to school with the kids of a politician who was involved in a huge scandal a few years back.

DH's cousin is married to a reasonably famous baseball player. It was exciting for the family when his team made it to the World Series. They were, unfortunately, playing my Giants and were thus annihilated. Suckas!

I've met quite a few randoms over the years but nobody truly famous knows me.

Lara

maestramommy
09-05-2013, 09:10 AM
OOh, how could I forget?? Robert Picardo's daughter was my student for two years when I was teaching at a girls school in Pasadena. I saw him just outside the school walls calling to his daughter on her first day there, and I just mentally flipped. I had no idea he was on Star Trek, but I remember him as the Cowboy on Inner space (that movie with Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan). I was pretty jaded with entertainment connected parents by then because parent conferences were all about THEM, but Mr. Picardo was the nicest guy who was only interested in asking about his daughter's progress. He had a pretty realistic picture of her abilities and whether she was motivated.

Meshach Taylor's daughter (remember Anthony from Designing Women?) was my student for a year, and I finally met him on concert night.
I also taught Brian DePalma's daughter, but never met either of her parents (I think Mom is a prominent director), and only talked to the nanny on the phone.

Markie Post's daughters attended the school from 7th grade on, and the younger one was in my middle school orchestra. I used to see Ms. Post on campus during events because she always tried to volunteer when possible. They were a pretty nice family, and other teachers told me she was very down-to-earth.

lizzywednesday
09-05-2013, 09:54 AM
OOh, how could I forget?? Robert Picardo's daughter was my student for two years when I was teaching at a girls school in Pasadena. I saw him just outside the school walls calling to his daughter on her first day there, and I just mentally flipped. I had no idea he was on Star Trek, but I remember him as the Cowboy on Inner space (that movie with Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan)....

OK, that's cool. Despite his stint as the "holodoc" on Voyager, I still called him Coach Cutlip from his recurring role on The Wonder Years.

smilequeen
09-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I did forget one pretty cool one (to me)...I did a workout session with Bob Harper. DH practically had a stroke and spent the last 15 minutes laying on the floor, so I kicked his butt too, which was fun. Then we had a dinner with him that night and my DH was definitely unforgettable ;)

We've gone to a lot of intimate talks and had handshakes and pictures after...Bill Clinton, Colin Powell, Chris Gardner (Pursuit of Happyness), and a few others I forget...

sariana
09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I went to the same high school as Todd Beamer and Mark Bingham, from Flight 93. Mark and I also went to the same college. I had one class with Mark, but I doubt he would remember me (if he were still alive). He knew my sister, though.

My DH, on the other hand, has met several famous people: Evander Holyfield right after the '84 Olympics, Bill Cosby just by chance, Jerry Brown (current governor of CA), and a few others.

As part of his military service, he rubbed elbows with General Petraeus. He also worked with/for the son of Admiral Kelso, of Tailhook infamy.

We've both met John Chiang, a relatively famous politician here in CA.

None of these people would remember our names, though.

Oh, DH knows John Krafchek (sp?), CEO of Hyundai Americas.

lcarlson90
09-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I live in LA and used to work at Fox Studios so I have seen a lot of celebrities but never had conversations with them or anything. I had lunch at the table next to Spielberg and Jim Cameron. I went to high school with a guy who played for the Giants a few years ago when they won the world series. He has since retired at age 34 due to injuries.

flashy09
09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
I am good friends with a very famous high fashion designer couple. Been to their Christmas and Easter parties, ridden their horses, etc.

My DH is second cousins with Helena Bonham Carter (my DD's middle name is after her mother)

My mom dated Iggy Pop for two years

Sat in a box with the Smothers Brothers at the Breeders Cup (horse races)

My very close friend had Drew Roy and Aj (from Aj and Aly teen singing group) to a dinner party and invited me so I talked to them all night.

My friend and sister of my DD's babysitter was on Downton Abbey last season

Briefly spoke with Athena Roussel this winter

♥ms.pacman♥
09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
i don't think i know any famous celebrities, and i even lived in LA for a year. dh & i are pretty boring geeks. :)

however last month i found out that my mom and aunt were classmates with George Zimmerman's mom (in Peru). It was so funny, my aunt i guess was watching the news once and then she saw the mom on TV, recognized her and called my mom immediately and said "look, isn't that Gladys from xxx school!!" (my mom and aunt were in the same grade/class together growing up). Crazy coincidence.

eta: and add me to the list of kids who were crushed every day that their name was not said at the end of Romper Room! LOL. my name isn't even that unusual, but often has ethnic connotations which is probably why it was n't common back then. Anyway, i feel better that i was not the only one who was upset that their name wasn't said!! lol

NCGrandma
09-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Here's a 'six degrees' experience that only the BBB'ers will appreciate. When I met my (much older) neighbors, we were chatting about Providence, RI, where the wife grew up. I mentioned the Mr Potato Head statues all over town, and she replied 'I grew up with the Hassenfeld brothers.' Guess I had never realized that's where the Hasbro name came from!

BabyBearsMom
09-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Mine isn't all that impressive. I know Juan Williams (Fox news and formally of NPR). He was a board member for my former employer and was the board task force leader on a project where I was the staff liaison.

blisstwins
09-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Oh, and I am friend with Kyra Sedgwick's first cousin, which makes me two degrees from Keven Bacon, and thus connected to EVERYONE.

YouAreTheFocus
09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
In my immediate family I have a screenwriter (he would have an awesome list!) and a locally famous person (on the news). We know several heavy hitters from internet/social media companies (friends of friends). We have gone out to dinner with one of the MythBusters guys a few times. Not much!

Corie
09-05-2013, 03:42 PM
This thread is totally worthless without NAMES!!!

I want names, people!!!

wendibird22
09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Oh, and I am friend with Kyra Sedgwick's first cousin, which makes me two degrees from Keven Bacon, and thus connected to EVERYONE.
:jammin:
This cracks me up!
The Bacon Brothers played a concert on the campus where I work. I'm now connected by a degree LOL.

In high school I saw a bunch of Broadway shows and my group would wait at the stage door. I've met Rene Auberjonois (from the show Benson), Martin Short, Gregory Hines, Chita Rivera, Bernadette Peters, Alec Baldwin (a much younger, thinner, gorgeous Alec in Streetcar, wow!) and my favorite Mandy Patinkin.

sntm
09-05-2013, 04:42 PM

I want names, people!!!

Lol, I agree. Ok, fessing up - my cousins once removed are Cris Collinsworth (HBO football host) and Danny Sullivan, who won the 1985 Indy 500. I dated Marc Maron, so seeing the previews for his iFC show is disconcerting (and he is more angsty in real life), and the author whose pen name is Jefferson Bass, author or the body farm mysteries. I can't tell the celeb from work, obvs, for HIPAA reasona

My dad's fiancé is a tv writer and comedienne, so she ha worked closely with Tyler perry though I've never met him.

Pennylane
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM

I want names, people!!!

I agree! Why is everyone being so mysterious about it? I seriously doubt any of the people mentioned are on bb. I wouldn't name the one I dated only because I am sooooooo embarrassed!

Ann

flashy09
09-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I agree! Why is everyone being so mysterious about it? I seriously doubt any of the people mentioned are on bb. I wouldn't name the one I dated only because I am sooooooo embarrassed!

Ann

Well, I didn't mention my fashion friend duo because I don't want them to google themselves and have it come up. I don't know why I care, but it feels like I lose some "cool, not starstruck, regular friend" status if I am bragging about it on a forum!

Tenasparkl
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Well, I didn't mention my fashion friend duo because I don't want them to google themselves and have it come up. I don't know why I care, but it feels like I lose some "cool, not starstruck, regular friend" status if I am bragging about it on a forum!

Ha ha, same here. In the case of my DDs preschool friend & mom I feel like it wouldn't be fair to share anything about her kid on public forum.

sntm, my husband knows Marc too (I don't). Have you listened to WTF?

KLD313
09-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Our company did work for Christopher Plummer and I spoke with him on the phone to quote prices, etc. We also did work for Eartha Kitt but I didn't speak to her. I briefly went to school with Rick Schroder but never spoke to him, he's a little older so in different grades. I was friends with Tom Seavers daughter but never met him.

I loved Romper Room and she did say my name! I was so happy!

crayonblue
09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
My dad was at the same high school at the same time as Farrah Fawcett. She was a couple of years older. She was gorgeous as a teen. Won Most Beautiful and had a full-page pic in the yearbook. My dad told us he dated her...and we believed him for quite a few years!

TwinFoxes
09-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Ann

Actually, you're the one I'm most curious about. What's embarrassing? Is he a jerk? Unattractive? Doper? Place kicker?

3blackcats
09-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Does shaking President Obamas hand before he was president count for anything? Remember I'm a Canadian from a very small rural town :)

maestramommy
09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Does shaking President Obamas hand before he was president count for anything? Remember I'm a Canadian from a very small rural town :)

Oh YEAH!

liamsmom
09-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I went to college with someone who became famous--he was a regular on Mad Men for a few seasons. We're acquaintances, not friends, but we had a close mutual friend and he should remember my name.

My SIL did community youth theater with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck when she was a teenager. Oh yeah, and my sister is flirting with Rahm Emanuel's security guard whenever he comes to her bar.

almostamom
09-06-2013, 01:01 AM
I know four women who have been in the Miss America pageant which I find odd because I'm not even remotely involved in the pageant world. I went to jr. high and high school with a major league baseball player. I've met quite a few children's authors - Jan Brett, John Reynolds Gardner, Susan Lowell, etc. I've met a few of the local news anchors at events and swim lessons. I sat next to some NBA players at NFL games in the NBA team's sky box. Nothing terribly exciting!

Fairy
09-06-2013, 01:17 AM

I want names, people!!!

I know! I was like, wait a minute. In my 47 years on this board and the two times I've done this poll before, we got names! I want some names! Hrmph.

Fairy
09-06-2013, 01:21 AM

Rhymes with Molchay & Rubbonna?

Fairy
09-06-2013, 01:23 AM
I loved Romper Room and she did say my name! I was so happy!

That's just not fair.

Fairy
09-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Actually, you're the one I'm most curious about. What's embarrassing? Is he a jerk? Unattractive? Doper? Place kicker?

Justin Beiber, Axl Rose, Lindsay Lohan?

sntm
09-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Rhymes with Molchay & Rubbonna?

Snort. Awesome.

Tenasparkl, I have listened but that was after we broke up. I dated him as his web show was being cancelled before he moved back to LA. As I've told people, considering I met him at his standup show where he discussed his two divorces and what a crappy partner he was, I can only blame myself :) he's an interesting guy though. And way cuter in real life.

Pennylane
09-06-2013, 08:43 AM

He was a professional wrestler and he was married, which I found out later. He told me he was separated and I was young, and dumb enough to believe him. I got caught up in being treated special, taken on lots of nice trips. He didn't try to hide me, so maybe he was separated.

Ann

Ann

TwinFoxes
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
My mom's cousin was a billionaire in Texas, actually the third richest Texan. He got beat by Michael Dell and Alice Walton. At the time of his death a couple of years ago, he was worth $9 billion.

ooh, was it Anna-Nicole Smith's husband?

billysmommy
09-06-2013, 12:43 PM
He was a professional wrestler and he was married, which I found out later. He told me he was separated and I was young, and dumb enough to believe him. I got caught up in being treated special, taken on lots of nice trips. He didn't try to hide me, so maybe he was separated.

Ann

Ann

My brothers were very into pro wrestling while growing up and I had huge crushes on Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat and Brutus the Barber :)

Giantbear
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Related to famous people. My Uncle is a director/producer of well known films and my sister in law is a CBS news reporter in a major market.

crayonblue
09-06-2013, 01:43 PM
ooh, was it Anna-Nicole Smith's husband?

ha, ha, no! His name was Dan Duncan. Started out in the oil fields and worked himself up. He has an incredibly story of triumph over tragedy. My mom is writing her families' story and I'm sure he will be in there. Dan was raised by his grandma, my mom's aunt, after both of his parents and a brother passed away. My mom and her sister went for a visit and their aunt bent over a stove and caught on fire. Died later in the hospital. Sad stuff.

crayonblue
09-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Thought of a few more:

1. P.J. O'Rourke, author- met him and took a picture of him shaking DH's hand.

2. Toby Mac- Christian singer who used to be in DC Talk. Met him and took a picture with him. He asked to see my camera and started changing settings. I told him to stop that! Yep, I sure have a way of making guys feel good about themselves.

3. Chris Rock- DH and I were extras in the baseball stands in Head of State. I took some pictures of Chris on the field. He is a little guy.

AnnieW625
09-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Alrighty here are the names I didn't mention initially, but in all honesty most of them are not really household names, although the actress has made a good name for herself and is a good actress IMHO.

The assemblyman is actually a former assemblyman now as he has been termed out is Cameron Smyth.

The congressman I worked for was Vic Fazio, a long time congressman from Northern California.

The actress is Katie Cassidy, who currently stars in Arrow on the CW. Her mother is married to my brother's fiancee's uncle so they are step cousins, but they grew up together, Katie is two years older than my brother's fiancee. I am not sure if my brother has met her or not, but I don't think so.

The ex quarterback is Ken O'Brien from the NY Jets (and the Eagles for a season or 2 at the end of his career)

The female sportscaster is Dana Jacobsen (plus if you live in the Sacramento area and what channel 10 I have met most of their current anchors as they haven't changed in the last 10-15 yrs. , but I will say with the exception of Jennifer Smith most of the female news staff weren't very nice, the males though were super nice.)

The living former governor of California is George Deukmejian who is related to my aunt. He actually lives not to far from me, but I have never seen him, but people who live in the area said they see him sometimes in the area where he lives.

The PGA golfer my dad knows is Nick Watney. The other less known PGA golfer I know through the Jr. League is Peter Tomasoulo.

I have been on air with Mason & Ireland a local sports show that is also streamed online twice.

I was on air with Mark & Brian, a former nationally syndicated show twice.

flashy09
09-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I was just thinking of celebrity types....do famous business people count too? My grandfather and his brother had a household name aluminum company and his uncle is basically the founder of packaged pre-made cigarettes.

pb&j
09-06-2013, 02:42 PM
For names - one of mine was JFK, jr. I was an instructor at the flight school where he did much of his training prior to his untimely death. He was a very good pilot. He was also warm and friendly - could totally have blown everyone off and asked for special treatment, but didn't. We worked out at the same gym, and I saw him at work most days. We were friendly, but not friends. It was a shock to us all when he died. The media was all over the place trying to talk to people at the flight school soon after he died. It was so tragic.

BabbyO
09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Hmmm...I've had a few beers (more than once) with almost every member of Gaelic Storm. I spent much of an evening talking to Pat Murphy, Steve Wehmeyer and Bob Banerjee at the Mineshaft.

I always think they are one of the most famous bands no one knows. (They were the steerage party band on Titanic - the movie, not the actual ship). I can't fathom how I'm not on their live DVD - "Gaelic Storm: Live In Chicago" since I can see most of the friends I attended the concert with in several shots. That was probably close to the 20th concert I'd attended. I'm 2 albums behind, though and since having kids have not been to a single concert. I don't know if Pat would remember me anymore....Bob and Steve are no longer part of the band.

ilfaith
09-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I would say if that business is pretty much a household name (and I am pretty sure I can guess the famous name here) that definitely qualifies as celebrity.

A few more of my own "brushes with greatness"...

A friend from college is married to one of the creators of the Cinemax series "Banshee." DH and I have been to their home (back when we all lived in NYC) but he probably wouldn't recognize me on the street.

Another friend is married to a fairly successful PGA golfer. I wouldn't say he knows me beyond the wave of vague recognition at carpool stage.

A friend from high school was a a writer and executive producer of Veronica Mars (among other shows). She was also the creator of the TV series "That's Life" which happened to star an actress with whom I attended college.

bisous
09-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Here's my funniest one. It happened years ago, pre kids (and DS1 will be 10 in a month!). DH and I were hanging out in a popular shopping center. We were waiting for our meal at La Salsa of all places and I see this family. First, I confess, I noticed the mom. She was uncommonly pretty and fit. Then I noticed the four adorable kids. They were really friendly too! I don't remember taking a second glance at the dad. I had a nice little conversation with the kids, kind of a long one. DH was a little reticent which was a little odd, but whatever. When I finally got my food and exited the restaurant, DH pointed out that it was Kirk Cameron and his family! In my defense I never watched TV in the 80s when he was "hot".

Here's some names. I went to school with the infamous athlete Marion Jones (she transferred to another high school midway through) and with Matt Damon's wife. Two doubles tennis stars went to my high school (Mike and Bob Bryan).

DH has way more ties as he lived even closer to Hollywood. He went to school with guys from Linkin Park, Incubus AND Hoobastank (sp?). One of the guys was his drawing buddy--I don't know who as they are not close now at all. He went to school with many child stars including "Savannah" from Savannah Smiles. The girl from "Major Dad" is very good friends with DH's family. DH himself is good friends with "The Dream Child" I guess from a Freddy Krueger film?? He knows lots of behind the scenes types of guys. Producers in Hollywood, camera men, etc. They're "famous" as in their names and work are known but they are not celebrities in the sense that they would be recognized. DH was part of an improv comedy troupe and two of the members became "famous" one went on to star in major films (one with Mandy Moore) and the other was a regular on DOOL. DH used to work at the Johnny Rocket's just "this" side of Malibu and served Wayne Gretzky, Adam Sandler, Linda Hamilton. We have friends that grew up next door neighbor to Will and Jada. Another friend (in a different neighborhood) lives next door to Verne Troyer (mini me). Because of our religious affiliation we know a star from "Napoleon Dynamite" (don't want to name as we are friends). We know a couple of different newscasters local to the LA area from the same source. I do occasional work for a general contractor who just did some work for someone I CAN'T name (for privacy reasons) but you'd totally recognize. I personally have never met her but have her cell phone number and address, lol. We've seen (but rarely talk to) SO many people. It is just part of life in this part of the world.

kara97210
09-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Earlier this year, through work, I met Sarah Jessica Parker and spent a day with her (along with about 20 other people), so she knew my name for the day. She was so nice and incredibly tiny. I felt like she would fit in my pocket. My husband is awful with pop culture so he kept telling people I had met "Sarah Jessica Simpson". Evidently he thinks SJP and Jessica Simpson are the same person.

Years ago I met Jennifer Garner, actually for the same project, and she was super nice and very friendly. I was a new mom at the time and we chatted about that.

wellyes
09-06-2013, 09:24 PM
In high school I saw a bunch of Broadway shows and my group would wait at the stage door. I've met Rene Auberjonois (from the show Benson), Martin Short, Gregory Hines, Chita Rivera, Bernadette Peters, Alec Baldwin (a much younger, thinner, gorgeous Alec in Streetcar, wow!) and my favorite Mandy Patinkin.

You must mean Rene Aubergonois from Deep Space Nine, because he was AWESOME in that. Geeks know.

I got nothin'.

jent
09-06-2013, 11:06 PM

And, despite it being a seventies show, they NEVER said Jennifer! I swear they must have selected out the Jennifers, perhaps out of fear they'd be saying it every week?

As for me... no. I lead a boring life.

DH on the other hand, as a child once stayed on vacation in a hotel in Ireland and apparently became besties with the child of one of the Monty Python actors (Eric Idle? Michael Palin? not sure.) When DH's mom realized who DH's playmate's parents were, she about dropped over. Not a lasting friendship though, either on the parent or child side. But MIL still talks about it.

smiles33
09-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm not personal friends with anyone famous, but I've met a lot of household names. Political types (Senator Kerry when he was running for president did an event for my nonprofit and I regularly interacted with other members of Congress) but the fun celebrities I met at an American Academy of Achievement (AAA) conference back in 1994 when I was in high school. AAA chooses high school students for a leadership conference and invites a ton of celebrities. I took photos with and got autographs from Harrison Ford, Robert De Niro, Donna Karan, Judy Blume (one of my favorites!), Whoopi Goldberg, Tom Selleck (he sat next to me at a lunch and when he whispered in my ear, I could smell the chocolate on his breath!), George Lucas, Tom Clancy, and more people I can't recall now. We were all star-struck but the purpose was really to inspire us re: leadership and perseverance. It was AWESOME.

I also saw celebrities from afar when I was a UCLA student (Jack Nicholson at Barneys NY, Jerry O'Connell at a bar) but that doesn't really count since I didn't actually talk to them.

american_mama
09-07-2013, 12:26 AM
I would normally vote "don't know anyone remotely famous," but this year I voted"friends with someone famous." Last month, we stayed at the house of a close friend of DH who is an ESPN reporter who gets a lot of airtime. We've seen him as a host a few times, more often as commentator or reporter. He was on ESPN often in August due to a particular story. I mentioned him to my neighbor, who was like, wow, he's really good! and DH once introduced him to his students when they were all in the same town, and his ESPN-watching students were impressed. So, I'll call that famous.

american_mama
09-07-2013, 12:41 AM
And I have also worked with Keith Lockhart of the Boston Pops - a big Boston celeb!

That's funny! I am good friends with someone who knew him when he was at Carnegie Mellon. She had a monster crush on him, and I heard a heck of a lot about him at the time.

american_mama
09-07-2013, 12:51 AM
We have gone out to dinner with one of the MythBusters guys a few times. Not much!

That excites me! My children adore that show. We've seen so many episodes over the years, and they are so consistent in their personalities, that it makes me feel unreasonably close to the actors.

Fairy
09-07-2013, 01:45 AM
That excites me! My children adore that show. We've seen so many episodes over the years, and they are so consistent in their personalities, that it makes me feel unreasonably close to the actors.

ITA, the Mythbusters guys are nothing to sneeze at. I love them!!!

Fairy
09-07-2013, 01:47 AM
And we have a winner. Someone has finally voted that they are famous and have read about themselves here. Congrats, we have another human parent on the board, woo hoo!

Fairy
09-07-2013, 01:52 AM
eta: Kristain Alfonso has a jewelry line? Do share.

Oops, missed this, Annie, sorry! Yes, I like her jewelry alot. It's not inexpensive, but mine has lasted a good long time.

She could use a website reboot --> http://www.hopefaithmiracles.com/

citymama
09-07-2013, 02:49 AM
And we have a winner. Someone has finally voted that they are famous and have read about themselves here. Congrats, we have another human parent on the board, woo hoo!

What do you mean another human parent? Aren't we all human parents, or am I missing something?

Or do you mean someone is taking the pi$$ with us...coz I think someone is. ;)

Fairy
09-07-2013, 05:25 AM
What do you mean another human parent? Aren't we all human parents, or am I missing something?

Yes, it's very likely someone pretending just for the hell of it. What I meant, however, was the same thing I alluded to when I posted a few pages back. Just because they're famous doesn't mean they don't parent, too. Doesn't mean they don't poop like everyone else. They're just people, so I instead of saying, woo hoo, someone famous, I said woo hoo, just like everyone else. My point got lost in the HilSpeak, sorry.

TwinFoxes
09-07-2013, 08:10 AM

:yeahthat: But if it's Kim K, sorry I harshed on your baby name. ;)

MommyofAmaya
09-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I've met three members of Depeche Mode (minus Dave Gahan) backstage at a show. I played foosball with Martin Gore.
I briefly met George Clinton at a festival in the early 90s.

I voted "friends with a celebrity" b/c I personally know the singer of a rock en espanol band that is pretty big here in Texas and has a national following b/c of their connection to Selena. I dated his (equally handsome) twin brother in high school.

I forgot one. Jennifer Nettles from Sugarland was in my freshman class at a very small women's liberal arts college in Atlanta where everyone seemed to be either a debutante or a lesbian. My friends and I didn't fit into either group so none of us returned for a second year. Therefore, I'm not sure whether she ended up graduating or transferring.

elektra
09-07-2013, 10:17 AM
:yeahthat: But if it's Kim K, sorry I harshed on your baby name. ;)
Your suggestion of Knorth was genius actually, and she could be nothing but bummed she didn't go with that spelling if she is on the boards.

endlessheather
09-07-2013, 01:06 PM
My mom's uncle was a famous director/screen writer that was nominated quite a few times for Academy Awards and has many other awards through his career. He was a brilliant man and very nice in person but I didn't know him well other than getting to meet him and his wife. My mom's cousin is a well known director/exec. producer and has worked on a lot of prime time TV series that I'm sure people would recognize. He is very down to earth and fun to talk to. My parents have him and his family stay with them during Thanksgiving usually each year and know them way better than I do. There's other people in that side of the family that are all involved in film in some way or other but I've met only a handful of them, mostly when I was younger.

I've met random other people here or there growing up but nothing that stands out as exciting.