PDA

View Full Version : Preschool dilemma

flashy09
09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
So I have been planning on sending my almost 21 month old daughter to 2x/week, half day preschool in January. I am due Jan 26th so I thought it might be nice to have a quiet house a few days a week. However, the "best" preschool (so I have been told) called up and said they had an opening to start now. I had been on a waiting list for January (only if someone left) or September of 2014. So it was sort of a shock, but I went and looked at it. It's made up of lots of very small classrooms with 6 kids per room with a teacher and an aide (so a 1:3 ratio) and then a "floater" teacher that helps as needed and visits each room throughout the day. The teacher for my DD's room is really, really nice and it was a sweet group of kids she would be with - although it's my DD going through a hitting/squeezing stage!

If I don't take the spot now, I have to wait and see if someone drops out or moves in order to start in January at this school. My other preschool option that can take her in Janaury for sure is closer to home, but a bigger teacher/kid ration (1:6) and a little less homey and personal.

So do I take this spot now and give it a try? I feel guilty because I stay at home and don't have to put her in preschool, especially before the baby. Do toddlers her age get much out of preschool or even enjoy playing without their parents? What age did your kids go if you stayed at home, if they went at all? We do Gymboree and also take reading and music classes at the close preschool plus plenty of play dates. She is not lacking for activity or socialization, but it is hard/exhausting to entertain her for 3-4 hrs at a time the days she is at home, especially since those days are when I try to get things done around the house. Which makes me feel awful and lazy as she is a fun sweet little girl, but just at a very busy age!

How do you find out preschool ratings anyway? One of my friend's mentioned it has a 5 star rating - is there somewhere that ranks the schools? I can't find anything about it online.

thanks to anyone that actually read all this. I have to decide by tomorrow and am totally frozen. Wonder if they would let me try it for a week!

westwoodmom04
09-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I had both my kids in preschool at that age. Totally not necessary but will be a nice social experience for her and a break for you. If the money is not an issue, I would totally do it.

wellyes
09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
All preschools claim to have waiting lists, I wouldn't have that be a big factor. I don't think a 1.5 year old gets anything out of preschool. Don't feel like you have to send her.

However, if you DO want a little quiet time, send her with ZERO guilt. She'll have fun and it will be a relief to you too.

Basically I think you are in a can't-lose situation :)

AngB
09-04-2013, 08:35 PM
If you like it and can afford it, send her. I wish I had started sending DS1 sooner. I waited too long and he didn't ever adjust to it (we gave it 3 wks, he would cry the whole time.) I would not start sending her right after you have the new baby, too many big changes then. Plus it will be so nice to schedule your OB appointments for that time and not have to find childcare or entertain a toddler while you wait.