PDA

View Full Version : Bday party timing question

twowhat?
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
My girls' have a party this weekend from 12:30-2:30pm. We are providing lunch. Not sure how to do this though, now that I'm thinking about it.

Have everyone eat first, then play, then come back for cake? That's how I would do it to prevent hunger-based meltdowns but I know that kids are going to want to jump right into playing as soon as they walk in.

So the other option is to play for an hour, then eat lunch, then serve cake, then let the kids back out to play some more if there is still time. I'm thinking this is the better option? It will end up being a late lunch. But I wonder if lots of parents are going to feed their kids before coming anyway even though I said "lunch included" on the invitation. And maybe lunch at 1:30pm isn't so bad on the weekends.

Also, how much pizza to order for 15-20 kids? I'm going to order Jimmy Johns for the adults, I think.

eta: if it makes a difference, the eating area and play area are all in one big room. Eating area is off to one side, and well within view of the playing area. Adults could easily sit and eat lunch while watching the kids play.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-05-2013, 10:17 AM
i think your second option is good (let kids play first, then eat lunch, then cake then maybe more playing). But my kids eat late lunches and dinners all the time esp on weekends. Maybe have some snacks (pretzels, etc?) in the beginning if some kids are really hungry?

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I'd feed them at 12:45. I'm terrible w estimating pizza.

candaceb
09-05-2013, 12:01 PM
My nephew's 4th bday party started at 11:30 and lunch was served at 12:30. There were several kids starting to melt down by that point including DS. so I would vote for doing lunch right away.

klwa
09-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Could you have it such that the kids can go get food when they want, rather than having an eating time? Just let the parents know when they get there that "the food is over here when you're hungry" & then not worry about a specific time for the food. Then at 1:30 or 2 do cake.

As for estimating, I'd say assume 1.5 slices per kid (assuming they're all in the 4-5 range?) so 1.5 * 20 = 30 slices/8 slices per pizza = 4 pizzas. Maybe add a 5th one, just in case.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Could you have it such that the kids can go get food when they want, rather than having an eating time? Just let the parents know when they get there that "the food is over here when you're hungry" & then not worry about a specific time for the food. Then at 1:30 or 2 do cake.

As for estimating, I'd say assume 1.5 slices per kid (assuming they're all in the 4-5 range?) so 1.5 * 20 = 30 slices/8 slices per pizza = 4 pizzas. Maybe add a 5th one, just in case.

that sounds like a gread suggestion. plus the parents can eat (in relative peace) while the kids play. :)

though i think i would order a few more pizzas, especially counting how some parents might stay & eat. my DH could eat half a pizza himself easily :bag.

twowhat?
09-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the pizza estimator tool!!! You're talking medium pizzas, right? Or large? And yeah, I thought about the option to just let people eat when they get hungry but wondered whether that would make it a madhouse and less organized.

that sounds like a gread suggestion. plus the parents can eat (in relative peace) while the kids play. :)

though i think i would order a few more pizzas, especially counting how some parents might stay & eat. my DH could eat half a pizza himself easily :bag.

I'm going to order a Jimmy Johns party tray for the adults. I know they are all sick of pizza and it will be a nice treat for the adults. Since I saved $$ in choosing a cheap place to have a party, I can spend a little more on food:) So the pizza is just for the kids.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm going to order a Jimmy Johns party tray for the adults. I know they are all sick of pizza and it will be a nice treat for the adults. Since I saved $$ in choosing a cheap place to have a party, I can spend a little more on food:) So the pizza is just for the kids.
oh oops sorry i missed that in your OP. i read quickly and interpreted it as Papa Johns (LOL).