PDA

View Full Version : GREAT blog post about mommy guilt, mompetition, etc

♥ms.pacman♥
09-05-2013, 10:22 AM
saw it posted on FB and HAD to share. great reminder!!

http://www.sowonderfulsomarvelous.com/2013/06/moms-when-are-you-going-to-learn.html

I do often feel bad when i post Pinterest-ish stuff like my kids bento lunches ( i have an arsenal of all these fun cutouts to make various shapes) or all the candies decorations I make for thier bday parties and i get comments from other mamas like like oh "i feel so bad, you must be supermom, etc". I always want to say "Um, you have seen my house, right??" I have the least decorated, least show-worthy house of almost anyone I know..bc i just can't be bothered to waste time on cleaning it all the time when I know my kids are going to mess it up two seconds later. And unlike most moms around here and my mom and MIL, i cannot sew to save my life. So yeah, important that we all have different priorities and interests. I don't make nice bento lunches or "pinterest-worthy" themed birthday parties bc i feel like i "have" to, to be a good mom, it's more like i have fun doing it and it is more like a hobby that I can do that my kids will actually enjoy. And i'm sure that's what the other moms think when they make their kids dresses from scratch. It is important to remember no one has it all together, we just spend time on different things!

bisous
09-05-2013, 10:36 AM
I REALLY liked this blog post! I love the bottom portion:

"You want to be a crunchy organic vegan mama championing the fight against GMOs? Do it. You want to be the ballsy CEO of an empire so you can hire the best nanny money can buy? Step right ahead. You want to feed them takeout every night and spend that time playing with your kids? Go for it. You want to wear full makeup and heels on that field trip to the apple orchard? More power to you sister. You want to put those kids to bed at 7 pm every night and have some time to yourself? Rock on."

This is exactly how I feel about parenting. Wouldn't we all just be happier if we just accepted what is important (and fun) for us to pursue and went for it without judgment?

As an aside, I wish she didn't use such strong language. I have lots of friends that would be offended if I reposted this which is a shame, it is fantastic!

twowhat?
09-05-2013, 10:52 AM
This is awesome. Perfect ending: Quit being a jackass to yourself. Thanks for sharing!

AnnieW625
09-05-2013, 12:55 PM
I mentioned a few weeks ago in one of the posts about the "virgin gut" or the "new breastfeeding study" that I honestly loved parenting DD1 in a world where there were a hell of a lot less mommy blogs and "claimed" know it alls all around me on the web and if I wanted to research something related to my kid I needed a book or a reliable medical site like Dr. Sears (and now I think that Dr. Sears site is no better than a mommy blog because it just isn't the same). With DD2 I have this horrible mommy guilt that I know I shouldn't have. It is not healthy and I need to let it go, but even some mom who has an anti mom blog blog still has a blog and well that is a hell of a lot more than I have and because I am a good writing with a writing based degree I feel like an IDIOT for not jumping on the mommy blog bandwagon years ago.

maestramommy
09-05-2013, 02:13 PM
One of my mom friends posted this yesterday on her FB. I LOVED it! It's a good point, I don't want to be judged for not doing all things Pinterest or not going all out on my kid's parties. Therefore I shouldn't judge others who do. And all the other similar comparisons.