PDA

View Full Version : These two things aren't related, right?

Twoboos
09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Last Thursday, DD2 bashed her forehead on a windowsill. HARD. She never lost consciousness or had her eyes roll back or anything. No headache or nausea. No other side effects the dr told us to watch for, just a bruise and bump. (I was shocked, she had an indentation in her head when it happened. I figured we were in big trouble.) She hasn't complained about it at all but still has a slight bruise and bump.

Fast forward to last night. She is horsing around w/DH and accidentally hit herself in the head, exactly on the bruise. (Of course.) She said it's hurting a little. And as I'm looking at the bruise I realize she feels a bit warm. Oh yes, she has a fever, around 100. DH says it's from The Head Injury. (Note: He is THE most paranoid person on the planet about any type bump/bruise/knock to the head.)

So today she says it's still hurting (about a 3 on a 1-10 scale, sometimes throbbing), the fever is around 101. There are no other complaints from her and she's acting normally. She has been in school exactly one day, Wednesday, today is off for Rosh Hashanah, so I can't imagine she got something from school. I'm having her rest now.

These are two separate things, right? DH being totally paranoid? They do seem to get "The Fever Virus" each school year. Just a fever, nothing else. It just seems early since she's only been in school 8 hours!

elliput
09-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes two separate things.

According to the Mayo Clinic-
A fever might be caused by:

A virus
A bacterial infection
Heat exhaustion
Extreme sunburn
Certain inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis — inflammation of the lining of your joints (synovium)
A malignant tumor
Some medications, such as antibiotics and drugs used to treat high blood pressure or seizures
Some immunizations, such as the diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis (DTaP) or pneumococcal vaccines

dogmom
09-05-2013, 01:30 PM
10 years as Neuro ICU nurse, 10 years as Trauma ICU nurse: Tell your husband, no it's not related to the bump on the head. And if he Googles it, yes, Traumatic Brain Injury patients can have problems with temperature regulation. But we are talking head through the windshield, fall off a roof, gunshot wound to head patients who finally came out of their coma, or still in one. Not a child with a bump on the head.

Now if she was lethargic, not making sense, projectile vomiting she could have an unrelated meningitis if you husband really wants to go that route, but then her temp would be much higher.

KpbS
09-05-2013, 01:35 PM
DS2 had a skull fracture once that started out as a bump and then turned into an indentation hours later. He had an MRI to confirm no bleeding in the brain but they doctors told us to be very careful for the next few weeks with very limited physical activity and he absolutely could not hit his head in the same spot. While the fever is most likley unrelated, I would definitely take her in to have her evaluated.
Hugs!

Twoboos
09-05-2013, 01:38 PM
DS2 had a skull fracture once that started out as a bump and then turned into an indentation hours later. He had an MRI to confirm no bleeding in the brain but they doctors told us to be very careful for the next few weeks with very limited physical activity and he absolutely could not hit his head in the same spot. While the fever is most likley unrelated, I would definitely take her in to have her evaluated.
Hugs!

Hmmm. We had the reverse - indentation (shape of the windowsill) then bump. Maybe I'll at least call it in.

Twoboos
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Yes two separate things.

According to the Mayo Clinic-

Can't show this list to DH. He'll zero in on "malignant tumor," LOL! Or "inflamatory conditions" which he will connect with a bump.

icunurse
09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
10 years as Neuro ICU nurse, 10 years as Trauma ICU nurse: Tell your husband, no it's not related to the bump on the head. And if he Googles it, yes, Traumatic Brain Injury patients can have problems with temperature regulation. But we are talking head through the windshield, fall off a roof, gunshot wound to head patients who finally came out of their coma, or still in one. Not a child with a bump on the head.

Now if she was lethargic, not making sense, projectile vomiting she could have an unrelated meningitis if you husband really wants to go that route, but then her temp would be much higher.

This. 15 years in a neuro/trauma ICU. :)

Twoboos
09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks to you nurses! :applause:

So the Tylenol has worn off. She's hit the wall and the temp is around 103, laying on the couch saying the bump is up to a 4-4.5. I have a call into the ped.

Seriously, I am going to have to call her in sick on the 2nd day of school!? WTH!!

123LuckyMom
09-05-2013, 03:43 PM
The fever is totally unrelated, but if she's got a fever, and her head aches, of course she'll relate it to the bump, which doubtless hurts! Don't let your DH make you (or worse, her) paranoid. There's no harm in taking her to the doctor for the fever, but I promise you, the two are unrelated.