PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in refinance/appraisal limbo...

ha98ed14
09-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Ok, actually it feels like he11, but I didn't think I should put that in the title. Looking for some perspective, BTDT, commiseration, advice...

We are trying to refinance our house. In July, we went with Broker A, who was recommended by the realtor we used to buy the house in January 2010. (Realtor is friendly acquaintance we knew before we went house hunting). Realtor told Broker A that he estimated our house would sell for $4XX K. (We live in SoCal, so and this is a *very* average house 3 BR, 2BA 1400 sq.ft.) Given what we owe on the mortgage, Realtor's estimate would get us to the 80/20 LTV we needed to get a regular mortgage. Credit is good, etc. The only quirk in our plan is that I am not on the mortgage because I do not have a steady income because I freelance. DH is the one with the regular paycheck and the better credit rating, so we just apply under his name. That's how we did it when we bought it in 2010.

Enter Appraiser A doing appraisal for Broker A. He comes and does a very cursory look at the house. Takes maybe 8 pictures, but it's a small house. Well, Appraisal A came back $30K lower than Realtor had told Broker A, which means we needed to make up that difference with $ at closing-bring money to the table. We weighed our options and decided it was worth it because the rate was so good. Closing costs were going to be $2,200. Then the lender's underwriter decides that he does not like the random deposits to our joint account from my freelance work. It's by check, not direct deposit, and very inconsistent because my work is inconsistent. Again, part of why we apply for the mortgage under just DH. We don't need my "income" to qualify because our debt to income ratio is fine- no cc debt, no car loan, etc. We tried to document the deposits 9 ways from Sunday with copies of the checks, but the bank was never satisfied because the money we were bringing to closing to make up the difference in the appraisal to get to 80/20 LTV came from my work (separate "business") account. Eventually the rate lock expired and the deal fell apart.

So then we apply with our credit union, which we have a great relationship with. (We've taken out short term loans and paid them back; we used them to finance our car and then paid it off. Never overdrawn an acct.) By the time we apply with the credit union, rates are 0.45% higher. For this loan, we use Appraisal A as the estimated value. (After the first deal fell apart, we paid down the mortgage enough to get to 80/20 LTV using Appraiser A's value.) To get the interest rate back down to what it was with Broker A, it is going to cost us 1.25 points, which brings our costs at closing up to $6000+. We say fine because we know the credit union will lend to us. Credit Union orders the appraisal. He came today-- House was neat and tidy and it's in good condition- same as it was for Appraiser A. Well, this appraiser scrutinized EVERYTHING. He asked me a million questions. Appraiser A asked me 3. He took pictures of my smoke detectors! I'm completely paranoid that because he was so detailed, it means the house is going to come in even lower! If I have to pay $6K+ in closing costs, I don't have any more money to bring to closing to get to 80/20 LTV if the value comes back lower than Appraisal A.

So I've pursued a loan with Broker B. Again, we used Appraisal A as the estimated value of the house. This time, the rate is back down to where it was with Broker A, no points, and no closing costs. It's too good to be true perhaps, but this is a reputable broker, so we are going for it. Broker B's appraisal was just ordered today, so it will probably happen next week. I'm so nervous, I feel nauseous. By the time this is all over, I will have paid for 3 appraisals. What if they come back all over the map? If they are not consistent with one another? Ugh... I am crossing my fingers that Broker B comes through because otherwise I am out a whole lot of $...

Maybe this should have gone in the BP.

Lenny
09-05-2013, 03:37 PM
No advice but I can commiserate with getting yanked around by financial institutions. When my husband and I were trying to buy our house 5 years or so ago, right before the housing market totally crashed and burned, we got stuck in this horrible limbo because we were young and they said our financial situation was "too good to be true" for people so young. We had owned a three family apartment complex when we lived in a different state that we renovated and rented out and used the money from that and then selling the property when we were ready, and carefully saved money from our jobs. The bank thought we were engaged in some sort of fraud or like hidden sweetheart thing because we had no debt, great credit, and a pretty fat savings account and investments portfolio. It was maddening because it was like, "Who's forced to just sit on their hands for months because the bank thinks they're TOO GOOD?"

Sorry for blabbing with nothing to add. Good luck and hopefully it will get straightened out in the end for you!

AnnieW625
09-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Good luck. I haven't even thought about refinancing yet because I am completely freaked out that we will spend money on appraisal fees and not have it come in and we don't have money to make up the costs of what our house probably appraises for vs. what our loans are. My neighbor bought the house down the street for $435K back in May (10K over asking, it was the first house on my street that had sold that wasn't a foreclosure since late 2007....people don't usually move on my street either) and four other houses on a busy street have sold in the last two months, but I am seriously scared that it will still come in for under $456K, which I think is what we still owe on the two loans we have on our house. I think we might have the same credit union as you do (for teacher's right?) so let me know how that goes. You should be able to finance the loan origination fee though (and you can write that off on your taxes) as well. We are also thinking about selling as well if we can get the house to sell for about $500,000 because then we'd have $30K to cover realtor fees and then have about $15K left over to put down on a the new loan.