PDA

View Full Version : Twin bday party gift question

TwoBees
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
DD is invited to a birthday party for twin girls this weekend (they'll be 4). We don't know the family that well. I bought both girls the same gift...an art project; I thought this would minimize fights over who got what because I can't tailor the gifts to their specific interests. Is getting the same gift a bad idea? Should I look for something different for one?

ABO Mama
09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Two art projects are fine. As a twin mom, getting two of the same book is irritating, but craft supplies get used up.

twowhat?
09-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Perfect. Just perfect!

TwoBees
09-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Two art projects are fine. As a twin mom, getting two of the same book is irritating, but craft supplies get used up.

Just to clarify, it's the same art project (jewelry box). I thought it would be fun for them to do together, but of course each make their own.

socaintexas
09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
That sounds great. My girls will be 4 in November and would be excited to each get one to work on at the same time!

vtmom
09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Just perfect!

TwinFoxes
09-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Another twin mom voting :thumbsup:

dowlinal
09-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I have twin 4 year olds and that is perfect. I cannot tell you how much I dread similar but different gifts bv inevitably one gift is perceived as the better one. Obviously I appreciate any gift that is given, but I tell all of our family and friends that ask for suggestions to just by two of something.

twowhat?
09-05-2013, 11:26 PM
I have twin 4 year olds and that is perfect. I cannot tell you how much I dread similar but different gifts bv inevitably one gift is perceived as the better one. Obviously I appreciate any gift that is given, but I tell all of our family and friends that ask for suggestions to just by two of something.

:yeahthat: I had hoped that over time they'd be fine with more individual gifts. But, the opposite is true. As babies, they don't care. As toddlers, they're mostly happy that they got something new. After that...it's kind of a pain when people buy 2 gifts that are just slightly different. Like 2 different girly beach towels. OMG, the drama that comes out of that. One of them WILL be better than the other. I am still hopeful that as they get older we will more reliably be able to get them different gifts.

As a family, we try to buy individual gifts at this age but only after careful consideration and discussion with the girls:) Even then, we have run into problems where the item arrives and even though DDs each picked their own, one DD suddenly realizes that she likes her sister's better.

So for non-family it is totally best to just buy something where it's nice to have 2 of the same. Like art kits. Getting a "shareable" toy can be an option but it's also not the best...this is an age where they want THEIR OWN stuff and while they'll initially be excited over something they have to share, it quickly deteriorates:)

ABO Mama
09-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Just wanted to add that it does get better, at least for my boys. They will be 10 soon (!!!), and have their own tastes. They do not want the same things, or have matching things.

oneplustwo
09-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Another twin mom piping up that your gift choice is just perfect.

scriptkitten
09-06-2013, 10:40 AM
another twin mom here.. its perfect

TwoBees
09-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!