PDA

View Full Version : If your son has a closet system, how do you like it?

jgenie
09-06-2013, 06:14 AM
How is it set up? Is there anything that you really love? Anything you wish you could change? TIA

WatchingThemGrow
09-06-2013, 06:50 AM
We've had Closetmaid Shelftrack for years in our old house. I loved being able to rearrange the shelves to put them all up high during the "grabbing" phases, then later put some shelves lower for them to reach toys. The house we just moved into had just a high shelf and rod, and I ripped them out, as we are used to DC being able to pick out dresses and collared shirts for dressier occasions. It always makes dressing up a little easier when they get to pick which dress/collared shirt. Hopefully, we will get their Elfa systems installed over the weekend and we can let them be in charge of their clothes again! (Right now, the kid without a dresser is getting clothes out of a box, and he's having a hard time.)

BunnyBee
09-06-2013, 11:06 AM
DS has Elfa. Half is a double rack, half shelves with a few pull out drawers. We have some baskets in there on the shelves. The bottom has a shelf all the way across for shoes. There are two shelves across the top too, so we can shift up the hanging space as he gets taller and his clothes get longer. It's great when DH or I organize it. DS is less particular. It is much better than it was with a rod over his head.

smilequeen
09-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Ours are custom. They have double rods, shelves, and drawers. I love them.

Just to give an idea, this is what we did with the 2 smaller closets

http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/22587/20110411/092833.jpg
http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/22587/20110411/092845.jpg

bostonsmama
09-06-2013, 04:35 PM
We had a large (almost "step-in") closet in DD's old room for which we bought a $130 Closet Maid kit from Lowes. I think it was 9ft long, and it had a long shelf across the top w/ a bar under it, then another bar halfway down on 1/3 of one side with 3 shelves and a shoe rack on the other 1/3. I liked that the center had no floor obstruction and could fit long robes or clothing plus a laundry hamper underneath. In our new house, the closet was only 7ft long with nice, wooden built-in top shelving and a single bar. We bought $60 worth of ala carte shelving and stuck 3 shelves for baskets, games, shoes and the like with a single bar on 1/2 of the closet towards the very bottom. I hate that she is constantly pulling her hoodies and sweaters off their hangers from that lower bar, but she does love the autonomy of it at 2.5. We also put 2 sets of triple hooks (in a row) to hang up her bath towel, robe, a frequently used fall jacket or sweater, then another for her backpacks and purses. For DS's room, we're planning on doing the same thing, only I'll move the lower clothing bar to a higher position until he can leave stuff alone as well. It was 2 5ft vertical rails/tracks, two 2pks of wire shelves, 8 shelf supports, two bar hanging clips, one 5ft bar (which is really two 2.5ft pieces where we used only one) and two plastic end caps for the bar. The 3-ct hooks were piecemeal from Rubbermaid.