PDA

View Full Version : Sore throat & headaches

DualvansMommy
09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
While I'm waiting on a call back from my OB on what's safe to take for my sore throat. I thought I'd ask the other pregnant ladies how you treated your sore throat/colds?

I can't seem to remember, for the life of me, what's safe and no no from my last pregnancy when I was sick.

Sucks being sick :( TIA!

Cate

KLD313
09-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Tylenol works for a sore throat and it's safe. Otherwise, gargle with warm saltwater.

sarahsthreads
09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Warm saltwater is definitely OK, and I've always found a little bit of plain old honey (like, right off the spoon) to be very soothing for sore throats, and that would also be OK.

Sorry you're sick, it really is awful to be sick while pregnant!

Sarah

Tondi G
09-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Tylenol will help take the edge off. Warm herbal tea ... chamomile with honey and lemon or mint with honey. You can also just take a spoonful or honey to help soothe your throat. When I was pregnant I remember my ob and the pharmacist ok-ing cough drops (I had a horrendous cough)... I used Ricola. You can also try using a Netipot. Sometimes the throat soreness is because of a post nasal drip and the salt water will help. If you can deal with the neti pot simple saline nasal drops/spray will help some too.

Chicken Noodle soup is your friend ... well any soup (vegi, miso ....) will help your sinuses/throat. Extra vitamin C and Vitamin D is good too.

Hope you feel better soon!

bostonsmama
09-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I love Ricola, chamomille tea, honey, a mashed garlic clove in honey for bacterial infections (not the faint of heart) and Tylenol. IIRC, in your second trimester, pseduoephedrine becomes safe for stuffy nose/post nasal drip, and I was given Mucinex D (guaifenesin plus decongestant Sudafed) for pneumonia at 19 weeks, but it was pretty serious! Always, always, always avoid Motrin/Alieve/Ibuprofen. It can close baby's ductus arteriosus.

flashy09
09-06-2013, 07:53 PM
My husband always makes me hot water with lemon and honey. It's very soothing and drinkable. Add some Tylenol to that and you should feel a little better. Sorry you are sick!