PDA

View Full Version : rain shower head

cchavez
09-06-2013, 09:27 AM
We are remodeling our master bath and considering installing a rain shower head. Do any of you have one that you installed in a remodel? I don't want to spend too much. Definitely under $500.00 but would prefer under $300.00. Any recommendations/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks so much!

hillview
09-06-2013, 10:35 AM
not really what you are asking but we considered it last summer when we did our master bath remodel, our plumber said we didnt have enough pressure to make it worthwhile. YMMV

BunnyBee
09-06-2013, 10:54 AM
We put in a rain head and a regular hand shower head, which is so useful for cleaning the shower, just rinsing off feet/legs, kid hair, etc. I would go to a fixture showroom and try the heads first. That was how we chose ours over the one I originally picked just on looks. I think the whole mounting (Rubinet) was around $1k, though we got our contractor's discount which brought it down significantly. It's also made of solid brass, so we won't be replacing it anytime soon! No plastic fittings to wear out.
http://www.rubinet.com/details/shower/hexis/

We love love love ours. The shower head in the kids' bathroom is some Moen thing and the water pressure sucks. Waiting to replace it when we redo their bathroom.

3isEnough
09-06-2013, 01:38 PM
We have a very nice one that I splurged on a few years ago and though it looks gorgeous, it's totally useless. My plumber warned me in advance and he was right - by the the time the water hits you it's kind of cold because it comes from a distance (and we only have 8' ceilings). You could certainly make the water hotter but if you also have a regular wall shower head going at the same time then that one would be super hot just to get the rainshower head warm enough. Also, it really doesn't serve any useful purpose. It can't get shampoo or conditioner out of your hair because the water pressure isn't that strong (by design, they are supposed to be like falling rain vs a strong stream of water). I still think they look gorgeous but functionally they aren't great. I know I didn't answer your question but just thought I'd offer my input on the usefulness of them.

pastrygirl
09-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah, definitely check that you have enough pressure for it. We don't (we have a well).

okinawama
09-06-2013, 03:07 PM
We have a rain showerhead ( and enough pressure I guess, because it most definitely works), in addition to a standard out of the wall shower head, and we have used the rain shower head twice in the 4 years we've lived here. I thought we'd use it all the time, but we just don't. Not worth the money for us.

ilfaith
09-06-2013, 04:55 PM
We have a rain shower head in a guest bathroom, and I don't love it either (I have used it once or twice). I don't feel the water pressure is strong enough and I find it is easier to get clean with the water coming down at an angle. We stayed at a hotel last week that also had a rain shower, and I didn't like it there either.

cvanbrunt
09-06-2013, 05:24 PM
We have one. I've been in this house for a year and a half and used it once. Hated it. We have the water pressure for it and I'm pretty sure it is the equivalent to water-boarding.

cchavez
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks so much ladies! We will be skipping the rain shower. :)