PDA

View Full Version : Rolling backpack help please??

aimeet
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
My daughter is in second grade and asked for a rolling backpack yesterday, claiming her regular backpack is heavy.

It seems I hear the most about LL Bean, Garnet Hill, and PBK rolling backpacks.

Does anyone know how they compare and when the best time to buy is? I'm not in a rush to buy and would love to wait for the best sale possible. I saw an old thread mention $35 for a rolling LL Bean backpack. How likely is that to happen again?

TIA!

willow33
09-07-2013, 07:42 AM
We have a Garnet Hill one that has held up well. DD uses it when we travel too.

hellokitty
09-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Does her school allow rolling backpacks? Ours doesn't. So I would make sure it's OK first before investing in one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

JBaxter
09-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Yes make sure ours are not allowed at our school
Does her school allow rolling backpacks? Ours doesn't. So I would make sure it's OK first before investing in one.

mattiew
09-07-2013, 11:54 AM
We have the PBK rolling backpack and really dislike it. It is heavy even when empty, the handle is difficult to put up and down, and the pull handle placement makes it difficult to pick up the backpack from the top when it is closed. We have had this for a year and DD never uses the rolling feature because it is such a pain.

tarnator
09-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Why wouldn't a school allow them?

I have the GH one from a couple of years ago and we haven't used it yet since we are only in Kindergarten. But it seems great!

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Our school doesn't allow them either.

hellokitty
09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
They don't always fit in the lockers or cubbies and can pose as a tripping hazard if you could imagine a whole fleet of children with rolling backpacks.

mom2binsd
09-07-2013, 02:58 PM
I can't imagine what is in a 2nd graders backpack to make it so heavy.

I'd see why she thinks it's so heavy, does her backpack have good padded straps with a middle strap that helps keep it in place (ours from Garnet has that strap and padded shoulder straps).

I think little kids think the rolling backpack would be cool- it's not really. If she walks it's a pain, if she takes the bus she can't roll it down the aisle well.....

aimeet
09-09-2013, 01:01 PM
We have a Garnet Hill one that has held up well. DD uses it when we travel too.

Last I checked, I didn't see rolling backpacks on the GH website. Does it come and go?

Good point! I didn't realize some schools prohibit them, but I can definitely see why. They do allow them there, as half the school seems to have one. I'm sure the fact that many of her friends have one is the main reason she wants one.

We have the PBK rolling backpack and really dislike it. It is heavy even when empty, the handle is difficult to put up and down, and the pull handle placement makes it difficult to pick up the backpack from the top when it is closed. We have had this for a year and DD never uses the rolling feature because it is such a pain.

Thank you, that is very useful feedback and definitely what I want to avoid. They are so pretty though!

I can't imagine what is in a 2nd graders backpack to make it so heavy.

I'd see why she thinks it's so heavy, does her backpack have good padded straps with a middle strap that helps keep it in place (ours from Garnet has that strap and padded shoulder straps).

I think little kids think the rolling backpack would be cool- it's not really. If she walks it's a pain, if she takes the bus she can't roll it down the aisle well.....

I believe the bulk of the weight is from her water bottle, pencil box, and lunch box. She also occasionally has folders, some light books, and her jacket. She has an LLB Critter(??) backpack which I don't believe has a middle strap, but the shoulder straps seem pretty well padded.

I'm going to see if she continues to complain about the weight, but will keep an eye out for sales. Does anyone have feedback for an LLB one? In general, is it bulky and uncomfortable to use the shoulder straps instead of the rolling feature for these types of backpacks?

Thank you everyone! :)

citymama
09-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Bookmarking in case you come across any deals!