PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics for DD - please help me think this through

TwoBees
09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
My brain is totally fried due to other life things going on right now, but I need to figure out how best to handle DD's fall gymnastics.

We have been with Gym A for 2.5 years. DD loves it but I think she is getting a bit bored. At the beginning of the summer, we went to a birthday party at Gym B, and DD has been asking to take classes at Gym B since that time. Since we were already enrolled for the summer session at Gym A, I told her we had to finish and could try Gym B in the fall.

I had signed DD up for a trial class at Gym B on Saturday, but we were bumped out because the class is now full, priority goes to those who actually register. There are a few other Saturday classes, but they are nearly full. The class at Gym A is also nearly full. So, I can no longer wait to do a trial class at Gym B and see if DD likes it.

At this point I have to take the plunge. Do I enroll her at Gym B and make her stick it out for the season (through Dec/Jan), even if she doesn't like it? Or do I enroll her at Gym A, and we try to take a trial class at Gym B this fall? If I don't enroll her at one, I'm afraid we may lose out on both.

carolinacool
09-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Is anything going to change in the fall at Gym A to make less boring? If not, if Gym B works for you (price, times, distance from home/work), I would try that. If it doesn't work, can she switch easily back to A?

TwoBees
09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Is anything going to change in the fall at Gym A to make less boring? If not, if Gym B works for you (price, times, distance from home/work), I would try that. If it doesn't work, can she switch easily back to A?

Gym A is currently undergoing renovation, and there is supposed to be new equipment. But I won't know until I see it. Price and distance are comparable, but she cannot easily switch back if the class is full.

Simon
09-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I vote for trying Gym B.

JustMe
09-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Have you heard anything at all about Gym B from other parents?

I would probably lean toward trying Gym B. I would ask them what their refund policy is, if you don't already know.

lhafer
09-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Try Gym B for a season. If you or she don't like it - switch back to A next time.

wellyes
09-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Do B. She did try it out, equipment-wise, and liked it. It's not like she is learning risky skills at age 4. The only potential pitfall, really, is getting a dud instructor. I think that's not big deal, you'll probably get a just-fine instructor. So try it.