PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Six o clock scramble for meal planning?

JustMe
09-06-2013, 06:08 PM
If you have, I was wondering if you know about their vegetarian options. It says they have plenty of these, but I was wondering what you think about how healthy they are, do they use whole grains, "good" fat, etc. Thanks!

wellyes
09-06-2013, 06:24 PM
I am a vegetarian & use SOS. I think the recipes are reasonably healthy. The ingredients are easy to find and are mostly 'real' foods, though stuff like gnocci is not from scratch. They recipes are easy to cook; I think an experienced cook might find the recipes boring. For me, who really doesn't cook, it's good to have step-by-step, relatively simple recipes. There is 1 fish/seafood item each week, 1-2 meatless, and 1-2 that can be veg if you use meat alternative products.

Here is this week's menu:
Zesty Southwestern Burgers with Cilantro Slaw
Curried Coconut Shrimp
Apple-Bacon-Cheddar Frittata (they suggest using veg bacon for vegetarians)
Gnocchi with Artichokes and Sun dried Tomatoes
Delectable Sweet and Sour Tofu

They have published 2 cookbooks, I recommend those to get a sense of what the recipes are like.

JustMe
09-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks, wellyes. Very helpful info.

maydaymommy
09-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I learned about SOS here, and although I never signed up for the meal planning, I like the cook books a lot.
One of my favorite things is that the whole meal is laid out -- sides, too.

fivi2
09-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I learned about SOS here, and although I never signed up for the meal planning, I like the cook books a lot.
One of my favorite things is that the whole meal is laid out -- sides, too.

(Not vegetarian) I like her cookbooks also. I like the idea of the meal plan, but can't stick to it. I would just order (or borrow from library) one of her cookbooks and see if you like her style.

JustMe
09-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Oh well, I already bit to try the meal plan. Here is the mamasource link in case anyone is interested

http://deals.mamapedia.com/deals/six-o-clock-scramble-6-months?sdtv=a&sl=a&utm_campaign=4437&asid=6995482&utm_medium=email&utm_source=deal_alert&utm_content=441080