PDA

View Full Version : Tween Parenting Books

StantonHyde
09-06-2013, 06:21 PM
The tweens are raising their heads here. I am looking for a book(s) that will explain developmentally what is going on and has practical solutions for handling the behavior issues that come with the devlopmental realities. Right now, DS has a strong need to be right about everything or to be strong, important, etc. He wants to argue with us about things in our area of expertise (e.g. I rode/owned horses for years and he wants to tell me horses actually do X when they just don't). I don't want to argue with my child--I have better things to do! I want to work on understanding him and communicating with him. I don't do well with the Love and Logic books because they assume that I will be a calm/rational person at all times :tongue5: Is there a book you like and why do you like it? TIA!!!

hillview
09-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Not BTDT but for the younger kids I love Ames books for what is going on developmentaly. They are a little dated (mom centered in a more old fashioned way) but great insights. Looks like they have one for 10-14 year olds.
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Ten-Fourteen-Year-Old-Louise-Bates/dp/0440506786