PDA

View Full Version : Article on FA Reaction from MSN - Dramatic and frightening but no loss

jenstring95
09-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Has anyone mentioned this yet? I cannot imagine the terror. I feel so lucky that my DC do not have food allergies (BIL has a life threatening peanut allergy). I absolutely cannot imagine what moms and dads of FA kids go through to keep your kids safe. You are true heroes to your children, whether you know it or not.

http://t.living.msn.com/family-parenting/the-time-i-almost-killed-my-child

ArizonaGirl
09-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I sit here silently crying and shaking my head thinking how hard it must be for parents of kids with food allergies.

How terribly frightening.

kaharris83
09-07-2013, 12:38 AM
I sit here silently crying and shaking my head thinking how hard it must be for parents of kids with food allergies.

:yeahthat:

Globetrotter
09-07-2013, 01:09 AM
This is gut wrenching :(

Jacksmommy2b
09-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Any other FA moms really surprised they were discharged from the hospital only a few hours after the first episode?

When A had a shellfish reaction we were able to control it with only Benadryl and had to stay a minimum of 12 hours. We were told an epi pen episode earns you a minimum of a 24 hour stay, usually 36 hours to be safe. This was CHOP.

Also, our Allergy plan does have Benadryl as a first line for reactions but advocates epi pen administration if Benadryl doesn't work completely in the first 5 minutes or at first sign of a secondary reaction.

MSWR0319
09-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Any other FA moms really surprised they were discharged from the hospital only a few hours after the first episode?

When A had a shellfish reaction we were able to control it with only Benadryl and had to stay a minimum of 12 hours. We were told an epi pen episode earns you a minimum of a 24 hour stay, usually 36 hours to be safe. This was CHOP.

Also, our Allergy plan does have Benadryl as a first line for reactions but advocates epi pen administration if Benadryl doesn't work completely in the first 5 minutes or at first sign of a secondary reaction.

Yes, I was surprised they only kept him a few hours. I read this yesterday and after crying (DS has a peanut allergy), my second reaction was trying to figure out why they got discharged so soon. At ourll local hospital, I think they would only keep us up to 10 hours, but I'd call the allergist (who's 2 hrs away) and have them tell the hospital what to do. In this story, didn't it say the second reaction was from a cookie he found in his dad's car? Maybe I misread it, but I thought he told someone that in the ER the second time, even though the mom was initially worried about it being a secondary reaction. The part that confuses me is he's allergic to peanuts but tree nuts weren't mentioned, so I took it as this was a first time reaction to tree nuts. Which doesn't really matter, but I was getting confused.

Our action plan calls for an Epi for anything other than a few hives around the mouth or itchy mouth, which Benedryl is the first line for. Everything else goes straight to Epi. Our allergist does say though that he'd rather overtreat vs. under treat. Especially when it's a panicked parent making the call.

Jacksmommy2b
09-07-2013, 07:22 PM
By secondary reaction, I meant a secondary manifestation of the first allergic response. So in the case of our shellfish reaction, hives were the primary and sneezing was secondary followed by coughing. The allergist on call told us that any secondary symptom was an automatic epi pen. I'm sure I'm phrasing it wrong, but we're new :).

A's shrimp incident was a first time reaction too. She tested positive for egg only a few months ago, she was negative for shellfish.

We were told we had to wait at least 12 hours in the er as it was not uncommon for kids to have a relapse as all the drugs wear off. An epi pen requires a 24-36 hour observation period for relapse.

In the article the boy said he ate another cookie but I read it as there was no way he got another cookie it, it was a relapse of the original reaction.

The more I learn, the more all of this allergy stuff scares the stuffing out of me. Like we all really need one more thing to have to worry over. And it's not like we can just permanently avoid food, although I'm tempted to try :)

hillview
09-07-2013, 07:50 PM
WOW that is so horrible and scary.

Nooknookmom
09-07-2013, 07:58 PM

:yeahthat: me too.

As a parent who had to read boxes for 3 years looking with a magnifying glass at hidden verbage for any soy or dairy ingredients I completely understand her pain. I have grabbed a box of crackers and never saw the "whey" hidden down deep. Thank GOD my kiddo was not anaphylactic - severe reactions however, yes.

I DO have idiopathic anaphylaxis....I keep my epi pen in my purse-I don't know if I can stab myself. I will have to to stay alive as I have had two hospitalizations from anaphalaxis reactions already (prior to having an epi).

DD with the soy/dairy allergy is having more and more "rashes" and we don't know why or from what. I am terrified she will inherit my issues.

I am so relieved that this mama's story turned out OK.

malphy
09-08-2013, 12:00 AM
this story made me feel so sad for the mom and child. FA's are no joke and I am so thankful dd does not have them. I work in childcare and have several students that have to deal with them. luckily for them they are at a facility that takes fa's very seriously. we watch those children like hawks in case they have any strange complaints/reactions, they can be so strange. if there is any question we call parents asap and won't hesitate to dose as needed.

as for this child's secondary reaction, I can personally relate. I had a reaction to abx that sent me to er, was given epi and steroids and was sent home. only to come back the next day with even more severe reaction requiring overnight stay. turns out it was a bi-phasic reaction, meaning it comes back. I still get pissed when I think about it because someone should have at least mentioned it might occur.

MSWR0319
09-08-2013, 08:20 AM
By secondary reaction, I meant a secondary manifestation of the first allergic response. So in the case of our shellfish reaction, hives were the primary and sneezing was secondary followed by coughing. The allergist on call told us that any secondary symptom was an automatic epi pen. I'm sure I'm phrasing it wrong, but we're new :).

A's shrimp incident was a first time reaction too. She tested positive for egg only a few months ago, she was negative for shellfish.

We were told we had to wait at least 12 hours in the er as it was not uncommon for kids to have a relapse as all the drugs wear off. An epi pen requires a 24-36 hour observation period for relapse.

In the article the boy said he ate another cookie but I read it as there was no way he got another cookie it, it was a relapse of the original reaction.

The more I learn, the more all of this allergy stuff scares the stuffing out of me. Like we all really need one more thing to have to worry over. And it's not like we can just permanently avoid food, although I'm tempted to try :)

Thanks for the cookie clarification! I must have misread that part, as I initially thought it was a second reaction also but then got confused about the cookie in the car. I will say that I think this (and your) story are good material for having Epipens in the schools for all kids. The kids reacted to things not known to be allergic to. If those kids hadn't already had Epipens and had been at school, there could have been serious trouble.